Patty - A 1980 “Long” bed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Front bumper looks killer! Is it too late to ask if I can have this one back?
I’m sure she’ll be available one day…. However this is my favorite body style Toyota so maybe not.

I did just bring this home….

IMG_3928.jpeg

Like I needed another impractical vehicle. We’ll see what tolerance my wife has for impracticality. As long as she doesn’t see all my vehicles she tends to forget. When they start spilling out of the garage she gets concerned.

I’ve done some stuff, but I didn’t take any pictures of any of it.

Installed a new rear main seal. The old one fell out when I pulled the transmission. No wonder it was leaking…

Replaced the clutch and pressure plate.

Installed a W56 transmission mated to a dual case setup with 4.7 gears in the rear case. Rear case has a Tcase brake on it.

A tundra DC shaft fit perfectly in the rear and I had picked up a custom, long spline front shaft for a dual case setup.

Held it all up there with a dual case crossmember.

I’m in the process of building a front bumper:
View attachment 3529083

And I picked yup some really sweet seats out of a 1990 Nissan 300zx. They fit the truck great and have tons of manual adjustability.
I think we need to see these seats in the truck man.

I think we need to see these seats in the truck man.
I’ve only gotten the passenger seat in. It was pretty easy. Just adapted it to some Toyota sliders.

IMG_3956.jpeg

The seats are sweet. Drivers seat has about 5 different mechanical adjustments and the seats are nice and small. I’m tall and thin so distance between back of seat, and seat bottom height were critical for me. Foreign coupes seemed to be the best seat option. I happened to see these on marketplace.

Comparison of the Toyota (I think) buckets vs the 300zx seat. The Toyota seats were unbelievably shot. I was basically riding on wires. This will make the truck feel a LOT better on those long trips to the dump and the hardware store.
IMG_3957.jpeg

@BlueCruiser84 just found this thread. I am saving an 81 long bed 4X4 and am curious what your patina improvement process was that you mentioned on the first page. Looks great.

@BlueCruiser84 just found this thread. I am saving an 81 long bed 4X4 and am curious what your patina improvement process was that you mentioned on the first page. Looks great.

Oh boy! That’s been awhile. I followed most of the advice in this thread:

Not sure I would do it again. The linseed oil holds dirt, but I also haven’t washed the truck since I did the treatment. BUT I’ve probably only driven it 200 miles, max, in that same time period.

I’ve only gotten the passenger seat in. It was pretty easy. Just adapted it to some Toyota sliders.

View attachment 3530949

The seats are sweet. Drivers seat has about 5 different mechanical adjustments and the seats are nice and small. I’m tall and thin so distance between back of seat, and seat bottom height were critical for me. Foreign coupes seemed to be the best seat option. I happened to see these on marketplace.

Comparison of the Toyota (I think) buckets vs the 300zx seat. The Toyota seats were unbelievably shot. I was basically riding on wires. This will make the truck feel a LOT better on those long trips to the dump and the hardware store.
View attachment 3530950
These look fantastic man.

Here are the seats, with some old seat covers, mounted in the truck. Super comfy and they are about the same size as the Toyota buckets that were in there.

They leave me about 8” between seats so I *think* I’ll be able to get some kind of center console in here.

IMG_3981.jpeg
IMG_3980.jpeg

Try fitting an ammo can.

Try fitting an ammo can.
Yea, I actually think the ammo can may be the best option. I had gotten a new one from harbor freight when I had my old seats. It’s tiny though. Need to find a bigger one now that I’ve got more space.

All the Jeep consoles are too long to fit behind by rear shifters and I’m not real excited about spending $100+ on something to immediately cut it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom