Patty - A 1980 “Long” bed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BlueCruiser84

SILVER Star
Threads
So I bought another Toyota because I have no impulse control. You may have seen it on this site, most notably when @yotadude520 owned it.

It’s a 1980 Long bed Toyota Truck. The bed has been bobbed to a standard bed length. It has 5.29s and lockrights front and rear, a w56 5spd and regular old gear driven Tcase.

Her name is Patty because of the obvious patina which needs to be addressed very soon. The engine bay is a mess. Starter is shot. Dash pad is turning to dust. etc. etc. etc..... etc. It needs a LOT of attention.

I did drive it home about 10 miles and it drove surprisingly well around town and at about 55 mph. First sign of a hill and speed disappears. Maybe that’s normal for a 20r? With 33s and 5.29s I was expecting a little more “oomph”

Anywhere here’s a single picture to kick things off.

793F220E-21BD-4699-B16C-55B333AC315E.jpeg

Plans include get it reliably drivable and preserve patina if possibly, but make sure no actual rust starts. This truck needs to be saved and I intend to try.

Anyone know what this thing (the one with the yellow/red wires) is called on the firewall?

Positive battery cable runs to lug on the left. Another cable runs from the lug on the right to the starter. Starter engages and gives a little half-hearted turn. Wacked it with a hammer while my buddy hit the key (actually a screwdriver in the ignition cylinder!) and it fired right up. Trying to figure out if this is a wiring or starter issue.

D5E29136-45A3-491A-BD83-CB7B498E16F9.jpeg

First sign of a hill and speed disappears. Maybe that’s normal for a 20r? With 33s and 5.29s I was expecting a little more “oomph”
:rofl: Your expectations exceed reality.

Anyone know what this thing (the one with the yellow/red wires) is called on the firewall?

Starter engages and gives a little half-hearted turn. Wacked it with a hammer while my buddy hit the key (actually a screwdriver in the ignition cylinder!) and it fired right up. Trying to figure out if this is a wiring or starter issue.
Are you saying you tapped the starter to get it to turn over? If so, the problem is the starter. Specifically, the contacts. Easy fix if you don't want to replace the whole thing.

That wiring thing is not factory. For some reason a PO decided to either "improve" something, or "fix" something.

Yes, wacked the starter and she turned over. It’s one of the large starters. I have a 22RE starter laying around that will hopefully work.

Good to know on that being aftermarket. I’d like to remove everything that isn’t factory and start with a clean slate.

:rofl: Your expectations exceed reality.

So the 20r is not able to hold 55 mph going up the slightest inclines? I'm not looking for a race car here, but I've had a 22r on stock size tires that could cruise the highway at 75mph and my current 22re with 4.88s and 35s that can hold 80+ on the flats.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if this motor is worn out, needs some tuning/maintenance, or if this is as good as it gets? I don't know anyone with a 20r to compare to.

My 22R with 4.10 and 33's couldn't get out of it's own way on a hill. Make that hill at 6000ft elevation, and I'm in the slow lane trying not to get rear ended.

My 4R had 4.56 with 33's. I thought the gearing was great. I'm now running 32's.
My xcab had 4.88 and 33's. Great off-road, but unnecessary with the twin case. On the freeway the rpm's were way too high.

That truck looks familiar, seen it on here some time back. Don't remember, but I think it left AZ a few years ago.

That truck looks familiar, seen it on here some time back. Don't remember, but I think it left AZ a few years ago.

That is correct. Left AZ and came to the land of humidity and road salt. I’m trying to keep it from dying a slow rusty death.

I’ve got a line on an ‘83 parts truck with a great interior and a complete engine bay. That should help me clean this thing up.

Going to try and clean up/stop the rust in the bed today. Wish me luck.

Well it’s slow going but it’s going.

Pulled the roll bar so I could start on the bed. I can’t decide if it’s going back on.

A5D13038-A10C-46A4-94FE-0391A3550A78.jpeg

Some fun before and after shots. This is very satisfying.
028E1887-0F1D-4CD7-9E4C-0E7AAB597155.jpeg

8CB06070-31E9-42EC-8B72-770C721D44A9.jpeg

Before shot of the driver side
6CC72A97-19DA-4B4D-A218-9413F47ACB64.jpeg

After shot of the driver side. Lighting is obviously different but it’s cleaning up quite nicely.
CCF4558A-1BC1-47F5-BE06-863665FB9961.jpeg

Well now I'm stumped.

When I first picked the truck up it wouldn't crank - would give a half crank and that's it. Battery has 525 CCA and looks new, but also small. Hooked jumper cables to the battery thinking it was dead and let it charge for a while - same deal. Cleaned terminals - same. Hit starter with hammer and it fired right up - ok starter is probably shot. Come home and swap a 22re starter onto it - same half crank. Replace contacts in 22re starter thinking "this time I've got it" - same half crank.

Now I'm stumped. Motor spins over fine with a ratchet on the crank so its not locked up... Any idea to check right away? I'm going to get some new battery cables today - the ones on the truck are pretty bad. I've got this doo-dad on the firewall that I'm suspecting (see below), but I'm not sure what it is. Battery runs to terminal on the left and terminal on the right runs down to the starter. Some sort of resistor or breaker? This truck had the big starter on it which I just replaced with the smaller 22re starter. Maybe this "thing" on the firewall needs to go?

D5E29136-45A3-491A-BD83-CB7B498E16F9.jpeg

Make sure the engine is grounded. Frame to engine with a battery cable.

Any quick links for electrical diagram? I can buy them off eBay, but that doesn’t help me today.

Does anyone have any pictures of the ps fender wiring? Sounds like there should be fusible links in there? Maybe that’s what’s on the firewall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom