Part time kit...pros-cons ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just got the kit from marks and had it installed, no complaints so far. Steering is much lighter, truck feels more nimble and agile as others have already mentioned, (also feels like the steering pump is not as taxed). Took away almost all of the driveline vibes I had due to my lift and about 80% of the transmission clunk is also gone too. For me this is a great option, when I need it I'll lock my hubs and push a button for full time.

Good luck.

I drove mine around for like a week with only the front driveshaft in. That felt weird. I didn't notice much difference with just the rear one in though.

To clear up some things... I'm running a 92 so I don't have to worry about ABS. Also as others have already stated, my front driveshaft and axles still turn but with the hubs unlocked no power is being transferred to the wheels. I only did this because I run an Aussie locker in the front.

Personally I wouldn't convert to a part time kit if my only motive was to reduce wear. If properly maintained leaving a vehicle to operate as it was designed should still last a long time. Just my 2 cents.

Got my poor mans part time kit installed. Aisin manual hubs from an 85 , hit the cdl switch, and put em in free. And there's your poor mans part time kit.

6b1936c3.jpg

4c30bf40.jpg

a420340d.jpg

To clear up some things... I'm running a 92 so I don't have to worry about ABS. Also as others have already stated, my front driveshaft and axles still turn but with the hubs unlocked no power is being transferred to the wheels. I only did this because I run an Aussie locker in the front.

Personally I wouldn't convert to a part time kit if my only motive was to reduce wear. If properly maintained leaving a vehicle to operate as it was designed should still last a long time. Just my 2 cents.

I agree 100%

I recently did the same conversion because of a lock right in the front
This setup is for trail purposes only
My rig sees very little street time
While it is definitely not the ideal setup it works as intended
I just did the conversion so I dont have any real time on it but I will report periodically about it.
There are pros and cons to everything
Someone who is to do this "poor mans" conversion should only do it for the function of offroad performance only ie. auto locker in the front and their rig is not driven on the street alot
Like said by others for a rig that is a DD or sees alot of street miles this is not the way to go
If you really want 2wd do the whole conversion for a high street miles truck.

I agree 100%

I recently did the same conversion because of a lock right in the front
This setup is for trail purposes only
My rig sees very little street time
While it is definitely not the ideal setup it works as intended
I just did the conversion so I dont have any real time on it but I will report periodically about it.
There are pros and cons to everything
Someone who is to do this "poor mans" conversion should only do it for the function of offroad performance only ie. auto locker in the front and their rig is not driven on the street alot
Like said by others for a rig that is a DD or sees alot of street miles this is not the way to go
If you really want 2wd do the whole conversion for a high street miles truck.

True. TBH Ive never driven it more than a mile or two with 2wd. The reason I put the Aisin hubs up front is because I had the set and my drive flanges were about stripped out. So I just keep the hubs locked for driving around town. Just tried out the poor Mans kit last night after seeing this thread for the hell of it

Same here
I had the hubs already just sitting in a box and the opportunity came up for me to get a new lock right from a friend that would work in the front for almost nothing
So I said what the heck and did it
I had the front end torn apart anyway for a front axle rebuild so dropping the diff and adding the locker and the hubs and machining the extra groove in the birf shafts was easy at that point
But like I said my truck sees very little street time so it really does not matter to me either way

Because there is snow on the roads here 6 months of the year I wouldnt mind AWD sometimes.

I guess I may one day have longs up front and prefer the part time to lessen wear though.

You can find hubs from a 60 for a lot less than some of you are paying for new from toyota.

I have a 60 series split case now, to make things more complicated, look at the cost of the part time kit, then look at the pros and cons of a motor swap with an adapter to a 60 series case. Not that the motor swap is cheaper, but if your driving a higher mileage engine and would like to do it in the future, might be better to do it once and spend the money on an adapter versus the part time kit.

Depends on which tranny you are mating it up to.

The HF1A never came behind an A343F that we got here. It did come behind the A440F and the A442F as well as the manual trannies of the time period.

Didnt come behind as in will not fit, or was never offered.

How do I know what tranny mine came with? It's a 97' 40th FWIW.

Just picked up a used transfer case for 50$ from some guy. I'm gonna do the part time mod and possibly the reduced gearing on it.

Last edited:
I'm going to part time my 80, but not using a kit. What I'm going to be doing is dropping the T-case, removing the viscous coupler, welding the spider gears, and adding hubs. The ACC 80 is part timed this way, and it drives a lot more smoothly and turns a lot easier than my truck. So if anything, it will prolong the life of your power steering pump. Also I plan on adding a front Aussie.
Pro >> part-Time you can do burn-outs
True;)

part time kit

I did this conversion to leave room for options down the line...
( front auto locker, engine swap, ) ...

Also, I drive most of the time on pavement,,,
But after feeling and experiencing the benefit of this setup, I would definitely recommend it if your rig is used for dual purpose whether it sees dirt more and pavement less or vice versa.

:cheers:

So how does it handle with the hubs locked and the CDL open on the pavement? I had front and rear lockrites in my 40 and it wasn't too bad on the pavement. There was some scuffing around tight turns, but it would seem to be much better with a center differential to deal with the F-R wheel speed difference?

I don't have the Marks adapter kit but I am running in 2wd. My rig isn't a DD so I installed some hubs and run them unlocked while having the center diff locked. The truck certainly handles different in 2wd and took some getting used to. The only reason I went this route is because I installed a front Aussie Locker and didn't want to have to worry with it on pavement. When on the trail I simply lock the hubs and I'm good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom