This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have 2 94’s and a 95.

OBD1 can be a bit tougher to diag, especially without a DLC1 scan tool. But really not that bad if you have the manual and a multi-meter and some basic vehicle diag knowledge.

I like the exhaust routing on the early trucks. I like the no air bags part.
I prefer the dash layout in the early trucks, but that’s just my preference.

The shifting on the 95 is more refined than the early trucks, and way more refined in low range.

Both platforms suffer from their NLA parts. I have a stock pile of VAF’s just in case. For my 94’s.

Usually this day and Age every $9k 80 series needs $9k with the maintenance haha and that goes for both early and late trucks.

Not much difference between 93-94, but 93’s have a well documented ECU issue, and the mentioned R12 AC.

The only con imho is lack of parts availability. You can still buy an engine harness for 95+ but not for a 94.

It is to some exactly as you say, 'real time monitoring' of parameters whereby crisis arises when and where crisis does not actually exist.
Put another way, living and dying by the scan gage regardless of normal operating parameters.
OBD1 does not afford that level of i/o thus does not raise concern when unwarranted.
Too much info is a thing sometimes. lol

I have a slight bias because i am sinking over $5k into repairs on my truck this month due to overheating w/o the temperature needle on the cluster ever rising past the mid point.

I have an ultragauge I have used in a few other cars and i wouldn't say i look at it anxiously. I did get some use out of it when i was trying to bring down IATs in my old GTI. Let me know what was and wasn't working.

I should have performed this mod 10 years ago:

I love my 94 and I’d buy another one in a heartbeat if the price was right.
My main gripes are,
Not OBD2, no 2nd gear start button, pair valve (can be deleted easily), vafm instead of maf, the side by side catalytic converters and the lesser availability of parts compared to 95-97.

Buy it and don’t look back

I have a slight bias because i am sinking over $5k into repairs on my truck this month due to overheating w/o the temperature needle on the cluster ever rising past the mid point.

I have an ultragauge I have used in a few other cars and i wouldn't say i look at it anxiously. I did get some use out of it when i was trying to bring down IATs in my old GTI. Let me know what was and wasn't working.

I should have performed this mod 10 years ago:

Yeah that sucks. Sorry to hear that.
Heard of that temp gage issue before. Just hard to imagine Toyota would have put in a gage that didn't indicate an overheating condition when it was happening. Think it's more a component age thing tho no proof of such or an idea how to resolve other than adding a part as shown in the fix thread.
But hey, you got another excuse to make your truck just little bit younger. A few more of those and you're good to go for a long while. lol 👍

No love for the '93? I read somewhere '93 had beefier starters... mine is a later '93 made after the R134 switchover.
All the love here.
And post 134a switch...lucky dog. 👍

'94 is all that and a bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom