Parking brake springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Granite Grinder

IH8RUST
Threads
So I did something I rarely do, took apart both parking brakes. I did take a ton of pictures, but for the life of me I can’t seem to find where this spring goes

IMG_5001.jpeg

Did you source your hardware from an aftermarket supplier like Napa? If so i suspect it is just a random spring that they include so their kit works for multiple models. I don't see that spring on any the photos i took of my handbrake.

Did you source your hardware from an aftermarket supplier like Napa? If so i suspect it is just a random spring that they include so their kit works for multiple models. I don't see that spring on any the photos i took of my handbrake.
Yup, aftermarket. I believe you are correct, I just had a look in my debris pile from when parts were falling out as I removed the rotor, I don’t see that spring anywhere. Problem solved, cheers

Looks like the ones that go on the inward facing side of the ebrake assembly. Should be 2 of those for each side that give tension to the lever/arm sticking thru the brake rotor dust plate thing.
6008D87F-6A2E-4A4B-A623-337A58AD5996.jpeg

@Granite Grinder

Here's a photo of a complete E-brake Toyota parts kit grabbed from Wits Ends website:

FZJ80 Emergency Brake rebuild kit WitsEnd.png

Check out post 13 in the thread below. I think that is where your spring goes.

It’s the return spring on the back side of the drum on outside. Aftermarket kit only comes with one for each side instead of the two you took off. Ask me how I know.

^^^
Correct. The green circle in post 4 of this thread is where the springs go, on the Bell Crank.

^^^
Correct. The green circle in post 4 of this thread is where the springs go, on the Bell Crank.
Got it, I haven't taken a look but I'm guessing these springs attach to the bell crank on the axle side (not inside the rotor) same as a 60 series drum brake. I thought that spring looked familiar, I probably have a few kicking around in my 60 series brake parts bin. Good thing I still have 60 series part totes, even though I haven't had a 60 for over 5 years, just another parts hoarder.

And when you’re done, your parking brakes will still suck…. 😂

And when you’re done, your parking brakes will still suck…. 😂
Lol, agreed, but at least they will be attached. When I pulled the rotor off, springs, pins and other parts fell out of the rotor, the shoes had also delaminated in there. I have never owned a LC that the parking brake worked efficiently, and I've had quite a few LC's over the last 35 years... though I still have the original 40 series I bought in '88.

Adjusted properly (including the cable/hand brake lever) and in good condition IME the Emergency brake works well enough to stop the vehicle (which is their purpose if the hydraulic system fails). Helps if you put the transmission in Neutral as you're coasting down ie: to remove the power to the wheels.

FWIW I drove one of my 80's for a day (or so?) using just the Emergency brakes when it had a blown flexible brake line. I know, not safe, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, while driving carefully, defensively, planning further ahead than usual, ---.

Had to use the Emergency brakes a few times in panic stops and they helped to shorten the stopping distance, every little bit helps. The difference between a crash and a near miss can be as little as a foot, or less.

Good job on your brakes.

Last edited:
Adjusted properly (including the cable/hand brake lever) and in good condition IME the Emergency brake works well enough to stop the vehicle (which is their purpose). Helps if you put the transmission in Neutral as you're coasting down ie: to remove the power to the wheels.

FWIW I drove one of my 80's for a day (or so?) using just the Emergency brakes when it had a blown flexible brake line. I know, not safe, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, while driving carefully, defensively, planning further ahead than usual, ---.

Had to use the Emergency brakes a few times in panic stops and they helped to shorten the stopping distance, every little bit helps. The difference between a crash and a near miss can be as little as a foot, or less.

Good job on your brakes.
You should do a FAQ on adjustment, then. I just refurbed mine while I was in there on rear axle bearing and seals. Adjusted per FSM and they still suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom