Parking Brake Linkage Issues 94’ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, just picked up a 94’ s***box, going thru it fixing any minor issues. One that has stumped me is this parking brake. There is play in the lever all the way til the end. Pulled the leather off and come to find out there’s this gap. I found this after attempting adjustment of the shoes to no avail. Previous owner threw a 6” lift on it and unbolted a few things to allow the brake lines a bit more flex. Fourth picture is something that stood out to me as odd. Does the cable move within the sheath? Or does the entire sheath move up until it T’s off at the axle? Moving the cable at the brake pad side feels sticky and does not spring back the way it should.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

0513D34A-FA71-423D-9E40-475FED4F6B1D.jpeg

0B63CBE6-4C09-4AB8-B905-15B04034F171.jpeg

1CB143C3-A15E-4FAE-B620-C54E64FA2260.jpeg

9F3FF353-B087-4035-9C09-09F47EA4BADD.jpeg

The cable housing is supposed to slide in the guide on the axle housing. The cable is at the maximum adjustment at the handle. The shoes are either way out of adjustment or are shot.

The cable housing is supposed to slide in the guide on the axle housing. The cable is at the maximum adjustment at the handle. The shoes are either way out of adjustment or are shot.
Yep that makes sense. However there is zero movement in the cable which leads me to believe the cable is seized somewhere in the guide and needs to be replaced. Likely along with the pads.

Do the levers on the backing plates move?

Do the levers on the backing plates move?
I presume you mean these ones? (see arrow)
If so, yes they do, I’m able to move them by hand which moves the parking brake shoe on the inside of the drum… but like I said, when I move them, they don’t rebound to initial position.

701950B0-DB35-4591-853C-06AB714D8627.jpeg

Is the cable moving in the casing? It could be hanging up.

I presume you mean these ones? (see arrow)
If so, yes they do, I’m able to move them by hand which moves the parking brake shoe on the inside of the drum… but like I said, when I move them, they don’t rebound to initial position.

View attachment 3316460
No movement in the casing. Just ordered a new one from Wits End for a reasonable price for it being a new assembly.

Just failed smog in CA so ebrake is the least of my worries right now. EGR function fail and 121PPM/100 on the HC test :p

Just an update, Pulled the entire assembly, from axle to e brake, out in about 20 mins and had the new one in in another 30. Beautiful to have a parking brake again. Thanks for you input in helping me figure out cause

No movement in the casing. Just ordered a new one from Wits End for a reasonable price for it being a new assembly.

Just failed smog in CA so ebrake is the least of my worries right now. EGR function fail and 121PPM/100 on the HC test :p
Nice job! Would you be so kind as to post the part#?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom