Builds Pappy's 3RZ Adventure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They got these things called printers so you can get the pages greasy without damaging the originals. I usually print out what Im working on. As you said, it's easier to not get the tablet dirty and I don't have an old CPU just for the shop. All our techs use laptops in the shop.

but, you know, each to his own. Just putting another option out there.

Used manuals ought to be gettable for $10-20. We throw away dumpster-fulls. We tried to find a market for them, but even the ebay places aren't buying.

Got any for a 2013 Tacoma?

A little slow getting this project off the ground. Just purchasing parts, the little stuff that ultimately just makes me feel like I'm making progress. A few RockAuto orders, lots of visits to my local dealer, and a visit or two to my local u-pull. Pretty much, I'm down to needing the big, expensive stuff ... bellhousing, clutch, accessories, exhaust manifold, then proceed to engine rebuild. Some of the haul:

The misc parts from RockAuto and Toyota.

20180504_153935_crop_sm.jpg

And those three elusive pulleys that were bent from the wreck.

Pulleys_sm.jpg

I see you have your 3rz mounts for sale on the MC board, going to just reweld the stock brackets from the 22re?

I see you have your 3rz mounts for sale on the MC board, going to just reweld the stock brackets from the 22re?

Nope. I bought mounts from TOS. The mounts for sale are the Chilkats. I like easy and I like doing it right without fuss. I figure there will be somebody out there willing to shim and modify the Chilkats.

A little boneyard visit today.

They had a T100 with a 3RZ. Even though I had already bought the oil pan stuff from Toyota, I decided I wasn't going to let this stuff get crushed. But ... long story short ... after getting out all the bolts, and starting to remove the cross-member so it would drop down ... it had a f'n hole in the pan with a goofy rubber plug. I left it.

They also had a 2001 Taco 2RZ that dropped yesterday. I decided to grab the alternator. 1995-2000 was 70A, and 2000+ was 80A. Of course I had the brackets and adjuster for the 70A. The 80A fit the lower 70A bracket, but the 70A adjuster was all wrong. I tried to get the adjuster out of the Taco, but I couldn't get the bolt to crack loose with one hand. The other hand was holding up the crinkled hood. I'm going back tomorrow with bigger tools and grab both the lower mount and the adjuster.

Oh, I forgot. It was a Denso reman which is why I decided to grab it. After getting the alternator home I popped off the back cover and pulled out the brushes to see how worn they were. I think the pic says it all. I scored a nice Denso! Now I just need to make it fit.

Alternator brushes_sm.jpg
Alternator_sm.jpg

It's amazing how things work when you have all the correct parts. 80A alternator on the engine.

Alternator 80A_sm.jpg

Couple of more years and you should be ready for install! :bounce:

Couple of more years and you should be ready for install! :bounce:
Hey! You want to give me crap ... get in line. Seriously, I'm hoping to make this a winter install. I'm itching to work on this.

Last edited:
You know the thing about slow progress???

Its still progress, which is further than I've gone.

Going slow gives me the chance to make fewer mistakes. It also lets me over-analyze how I'm going to resolve some of the transplant issues.

More pieces to the jigsaw puzzle.

Clutch kit (AISIN) and starter (Denso) came today. I splurged on the starter, and for no other reason except "gee-wiz" I bought a 1.8kW cold spec. As far as rebuilding the engine I figured I had to choices.

Plan A: Get master rebuild kit from LCE. Take long block to machine shop. Have them do their magic.

Plan B: Take engine apart. Get gasket kit, and timing bits, from Toyota. Take head to machine shop #1. Take short block, minus timing and balance shafts, to machine shop #2. Learn about this engine, and put it back together myself.

I dropped off a bunch of stuff to get hot tanked today and talk with the machine shop. Bottom line, they won't use my parts for warranty reasons. I get that. So Plan B it is. Like hell if I was going to have them use a FelPro head gasket, or Federal/National seals. Ordered today was a gasket kit.

Moving right along.

Clutch and Starter_sm.jpg

I’m not sure you’re going to have to do any machine work.

If you think you might, don’t order parts until you get it all measured out.
This engine has 250K on it. Compression is low enough that I can turn the crank all the way around with my hands. I figure it's out, so I might as well rebuild it now, instead of later.

Goofing around. Timing bits gone. Camshafts gone. Balance shafts gone. Everything bagged and tagged. The only thing left is to pull the head, but I'm in no hurry.

Before.
Timing assembly-sm.jpg

After.

Bare face-3-sm.jpg

Cam-less head.

Bare head (2)-sm.jpg

And the parts to put it back together.

Timing et al.

Timing Parts_sm.jpg

Gasket set.

Gasket Kit_sm.jpg

Fun times!