Paint Code - Color not a match (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My door jamb says my paint code is 1A6. As far as I can see my paint is original. I ordered that at the local paint supply. Test sprayed a part today and it's not even close to a match. The 1A6 comes out a darker grey color and my cruiser is more like a bluish grey. Looking at this site 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser Colors of Touch Up Paint - https://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/toyota/1997/land-cruiser/
it really looks like my color could be code 1A0. Picture of my cruiser below.

Did the colors related to each code change at some point? I suppose that the shop could have messed up the color mix but I really have no way to confirm that. Honestly based on the web site above it looks like they got it close. At $25+ a can I don't want to buy too many of these to test the color. Any thoughts?

lift 3.jpg

20150624_203614 (800x450).jpg

You'll never get the color match from a can that a shop will get from a gun with additives and propper spray pattern, pressure, etc. Additionally, I think the 40th paint color was a 2K, which you won't get from a can mix, at least I can't get it around here.

You'll never get the color match from a can that a shop will get from a gun with additives and propper spray pattern, pressure, etc. Additionally, I think the 40th paint color was a 2K, which you won't get from a can mix, at least I can't get it around here.
I could live with it being a little off but to me what I got in the can is not even in the ball park for the right color. I plan to paint the entire truck so it will all match. I just really like the color it is so I wanted to keep that.

What do you mean by the color was a 2K?

Might be worth a gander.

For reference the color I got looks very much like the color of the front bumper on this truck. It's a dark grey like that, not the blue color at all.

View attachment 2792021
The paint color code on the jamb should be the body color; the (contrasting) bumper color was the same for all 95-97, which is not listed anywhere on the body (it's only in a special paint supplement for the body shops, AFAIK); if what you got was the bumper color (or near it) the paint shop screwed up.

Automotive paint is mixed with additives (hardener, fish-eye eliminator, etc) before spraying. What you get in a can (unless it's advertised as 2K paint) is just the paint.

1K vs 2K paint or this LMGTFY

Not sure where your getting your paint. I have had good lock with autotouchup.com
Paint in a spray can. They also have it in quart and gallon size.
Color match have been spot on.

1A6 paint code is 'Moonglow Pearl' and it does spray out a blueish gray. But is subject to appearance in different lights. Here is mine (Moonglow) in bright light and lesser light.
Cruiser.jpg

Cruiser2.jpg

IF mixed properly it should be a pretty close match to 'factory new' paint. But older paint will have faded...so if you are trying to match/blend for spot painting you would need to take the vehicle somewhere where they can computer match the condition of your paint. IF you are going to do a complete respray then settle on what you want and go for it.

I assume you ordered a two part paint (base coat/clear coat)? IF so....the base coat will spray out very flat looking and also won't show its true color until you've clear coated it. IF you ordered a single stage paint, then yes, when dry....what you see is what you get.

Last edited:
Yes it is a two coat system but not 2K based on above. The paint guy told me I would have to clear it. I originally got the cans to do a few touch ups on some areas I need to make rust/dent repairs. My plan was to spot spray those areas, accepting that it wouldn't be a perfect match, to keep them from rusting until everything was done. Then I would order a few quarts to go back and respray the entire truck to make everything match.

I do notice that my paint changes color a lot depending on the light, but I was holding the test part up to the truck in the same light. It is not cleared though so I will have to get some clear and try that to see if it brings it closer. It's not that I don't like the color that is in the can, I was just hoping to avoid respraying the door jambs and such to get it all to match. Not trying to win any beauty contests so I could live with a slight mismatch due to age but I figured areas that had not been exposed to much sun shouldn't be too far off the original color.

I am looking at the autotouchup site based on several recommendations. Guess I will trust that the paint code is the right color and go with it. Thanks guys!

Yes it is a two coat system but not 2K based on above. The paint guy told me I would have to clear it. I originally got the cans to do a few touch ups on some areas I need to make rust/dent repairs. My plan was to spot spray those areas, accepting that it wouldn't be a perfect match, to keep them from rusting until everything was done. Then I would order a few quarts to go back and respray the entire truck to make everything match.

I do notice that my paint changes color a lot depending on the light, but I was holding the test part up to the truck in the same light. It is not cleared though so I will have to get some clear and try that to see if it brings it closer. It's not that I don't like the color that is in the can, I was just hoping to avoid respraying the door jambs and such to get it all to match. Not trying to win any beauty contests so I could live with a slight mismatch due to age but I figured areas that had not been exposed to much sun shouldn't be too far off the original color.

I am looking at the autotouchup site based on several recommendations. Guess I will trust that the paint code is the right color and go with it. Thanks guys!

IF you are planning a complete respray....you could just 'prime' over any repair areas and then do all your 'prep' later before painting the vehicle. But you won't be painting the entire vehicle with a "few quarts" (not correctly anyway). Honestly it sounds like your project might be a good candidate for a Maaco paint job after you've done the prep work.

IF you are planning a complete respray....you could just 'prime' over any repair areas and then do all your 'prep' later before painting the vehicle. But you won't be painting the entire vehicle with a "few quarts" (not correctly anyway). Honestly it sounds like your project might be a good candidate for a Maaco paint job after you've done the prep work.
Primer is not a sealer, unless it’s in a shop or garage it won’t protect the metal completely.

What I find mildly humorous is the expectation that paint will match seamlessly on a 24 old car even if the aftermarket manufacturer could get the mix right.

What I find mildly humorous is the expectation that paint will match seamlessly on a 24 old car even if the aftermarket manufacturer could get the mix right.
If you building a show car probably not.
If it a 25 year old 4x4 the match is spot on ;) 🤷‍♂️
UiEnEMoi7_9Hi_-SnGa4e0GiBf53MHYsKz6eTvyYEjAM1jfoX4wjvvDfgDjE9HLpuKUgKM-KmDOxY7CqPCXslteO_WihhDTIH2-SubMvFJyo4KP8IFWy5pq4UQ1QitWjSoUcGj4ncPjTGRMzSEZisl-KAAsTYv3RNTSlYh-kR0loA5EESjw95su89SLrispJBQR-cpgFjxlIPYxIJTf_8bT7eSN6QYPuey4uYbrS9rJd7sLcFGZahMPFNzo8D06CToYoxl4kBTVmGVWg20a0uCImB4a9ogHinqNjIZnqNoW4NfuuE9QdrLqdLOcIjdXFWApRRcLuyUcHgnUz8e9xSZv9LhICGK1NL775vzkwA3BDZ8LZCmLQ1s6YID3gb1_EuN59R5q34hXOI71s9o5VrwXLQU1BAW7HbvK44lGqR3rfwXc9nKnAKe4_7av58uRKg6kbda92iRTSdx59LL_QC2nYNmE3LrL3X9fU_qN2ka9prkYYh_yxyjg8MIapeIleSWKpeS-SjQXnqJ0V_KcGdsitIEczZsPfnu1EQSuvMMbUWGSglPg5wgCJllHdHU0KCnDgKSw6fBmRVuMVS3jFxGn01tcHtSIQjnM3wkychTHQBW_V2o41lDNYj4JW7FZPodu3yz7pCYp-s-BPW3NNFDiRnuM2hnArP3HQwG2aL8n1a9ennx9ymlIz_2z7XT_UcWn6WxQWKrqJbRVjcsuWL73K=w1334-h750-no

Autotouchup.com rattle caned hood, lower part of front finder and rear quarter panel.
Good from far, far from good but the color match is spot on

I didn't expect an exact match, in fact I expected that it would not match which is why I plan to paint the whole truck eventually. This color is so far off though it concerns me that it not the right color.

No thanks to Maaco. I've used them once before and the results were ok but not what I want to do here.

I misspoke about a few quarts and understand I have to buy an appropriate amount for multiple coats etc. My goal with the question was to see if anyone had experience with getting the correct paint color. Sounds like the original paint color is not anywhere close to what it looks like now or the shop that mixed the rattle cans it did not get it right. Going to try the Autotouchup.com and see if that is closer to the color I am looking for and go from there.

I didn't expect an exact match, in fact I expected that it would not match which is why I plan to paint the whole truck eventually. This color is so far off though it concerns me that it not the right color.

Surely 'mis-mixed' then. Given the paint code and reasonably careful mixing, you should have something pretty darn close (allowing for paint fade of the original paint).

Have someone else mix you some and compare.

I repainted the hood on my 100 series recently and it was mixed strictly from the paint 'code'. It was also a very difficult color to get right and not an easy one to spray (metal flake), but it was a pretty darn close match to the rest of the vehicle, so it CAN be done.

Hood Paint3.jpg
Hood Paint2.jpg

Hood Paint1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom