Overland Pig update (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.overlandnomads.net
Hi everyone,

Evidently, I'm not a very good communicator......or so I'm told.

But I wanted to provide an update to the MUD community.....so here are some photos of the current state of the overland build.

It took a while to get the body in rust-free condition....and posting photos of that work isn't very interesting (to me).

All the fabrication work has been done by Jason Burge and his team at The Rust Doctor in Grand Junction. I cannot say enough about the quality of his work. He's going to have to change the name of his company. They obviously do more than just rust repair.

Some of you will identify some of the components.....everything else is Jason's work. CBI can holder & tables, 4x4Labs bumper, Rotopax containers, White Knuckle rock sliders..... We are awaiting a 10 lbs. propane bottle to install the Expedition Essentials holder above the cans and the Uniden antenna mount. Then the bumper should be complete and off to powder coat.

The next step is to drop the rig off at Alcan Spring (just down the road 3 miles) for weighing and custom work on the springs.

I'll post photos of the front bumper in a separate post since I hit my 5 photo max.

The rig will be used on an around-the-world expedition...details here: www.overlandnomads.net

Thanks for your interest!

Unknown-15.jpeg

Unknown-16.jpeg

Unknown-17.jpeg

Unknown-20.jpeg

Unknown-21.jpeg

Last edited:
Noticed your Pig when I passed by the shop over the weekend. I'll have to stop in and check out the work. Have heard great things about the Rust Doctor. PM me the next time you're headed to GJ to check it out.
Jim

.I was beginning to think no one likes it. ;)
Hell yeah we like it! We've been waiting for the updates. One thing I'd like to mention is " overall weight " My wagon set up for travel fully loaded is #8,000 and yours will be heavier I'm guessing when ready for the road. Is the small Cummins able to handle that much weight day in and day out. At the least, something to kick around with the builders. Looking forward to your progress.

EDIT...I'm a bonafide commenter from the peanut gallery. :)

Last edited:
I've been aware of the weight issue (of the 55.....not mine) and we will get some clarity next week when Lew @ Alcan puts it on the scale. It's gonna be heavy when fully loaded, especially with the LRA 55 gallon tank. I'm confident in the capability of the 2.8, but we won't really know until we drive it up to AK next year for the shake-down cruise.

The good news is the molle panels are aluminum and we'll fill the fridge with light beer. ;)

Is the small Cummins able to handle that much weight day in and day out. At the least, something to kick around with the builders. Looking forward to your progress.

EDIT...I'm a bonafide commenter from the peanut gallery. :)

I'm in the peanut gallery too. I can add that I know two 60 owners who put in the 2.8 and regret it. Ok for highway use, but terrible off-road. Even on the highway they say it's still slow and underpowered.

It’s possible that an engine that small would work OK for something like a 40 or a 20 or a Willy’s, but yeah, for bigger and heavier rigs it doesn’t seem the way to go. From some observations, 4BT’s (run stock) are on or somewhat above par for a 2F. You won’t be there giving up another liter unless there’s a ton of mods done to get there.

I've been aware of the weight issue (of the 55.....not mine) and we will get some clarity next week when Lew @ Alcan puts it on the scale. It's gonna be heavy when fully loaded, especially with the LRA 55 gallon tank. I'm confident in the capability of the 2.8, but we won't really know until we drive it up to AK next year for the shake-down cruise...
What's the timeframe of your planned trip to AK, or should I check your website?

We are aiming for late May or early June. Are you headed north around that time?
I'm in Juneau, within the northern section of Alaska's Southeast panhandle. A ferry trip to Haines or Skagway is necessary for accessing road system further north into Alaska and Canada. I will possibly be doing that in my LX 450, but not likely until late August or September. Would love to see your 55 if you decide to visit the SE region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom