Overheated... now what? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yesterday after a short spin, my truck started to overheat. It went from normal temps to 280+ according to the Scangauge. I was able to get it home, I'm sure I should have just stopped driving when it happened, but I was close and there were other things going on at the time, which led me to having to just drive home rather than get it towed. The oil looks like a soupy mess. The interior driver-side carpet is soaked with what I think is coolant. When I popped the hood the most of amount of smoke was coming from the back of the engine. I had already replaced the heater control valve, so I'm thinking maybe the PHH.

The previous owner had already done a head gasket before I bought it, but I wasn't convinced on how good a job was done. I was doing oil changes every 1k and the last few oil analysis were good.

I love the truck, it has been a fun hobby for my family and I, but I simply don't have the bank roll to do a full engine rebuild at some the costs (10-20k) I have seen on Mud. I don't really have the space to do the work myself. I tried to replace a head gasket on my Land Rover and it was a nightmare trying to do it in the driveway.

What's my best course of action? Some of me wants to cut my losses and run, but I know I'll take a bath when I sell it. With 196k on it most everything is ok. Then some part of me want to see what it really needs.

^^^. What he said.
Maybe do a compression test on the cylinders.

When you say the oil is soupy, what do you mean? Does it look like chocolate milk?

And change the oil and filter (not WIX)

Did your heater core explode? How did the coolant get inside the interior? Like others said, find the leak, fix it, new oil and filter. Than do a combustion gas test to see if the head gasket is toast.

Not trying to be rude or anything but if your really living in Boston I don't know why you would even want an 80 series.....

All the above. Also might help to collect some of the current oil and send it off for an EOA (Engine Oil Analysis).

What does the remaining coolant look like? You could collect some in a clear bottle then wait and see if it layers out (oil-water) after awhile.

Once you do the above work, you need to listen for any knocking coming from anywhere on the block. When the oil gets that hot that it thins out, your pressure drops which could lead to burned up bearings - metal on metal would be found in your engine oil drain. Any knocking could be piston slap (*as was my case), or crank related.

If it starts, runs smoothly and quietly, and drives okay, you may have dodged a bullet.

new oil/filter.
save money on coolant and just run 100% distilled water. If it checks out, drain and add coolant.

new oil/filter.
save money on coolant and just run 100% distilled water. If it checks out, drain and add coolant.
As long as he doesn't run it too long........ (Like into winter) He's in Boston.

280 is pretty hot. You can pull the pan and see what the bearings look like. Sounds like your heater core was leaking, it ran out of coolant, and blew the headgasket. But a mechanic will need to check it out for sure. Is there a shop near you? If a vehicle gets hot or looses oil pressure it's best to pull over immediately to avoid 4 to 5 digit repairs in favor of a tow bill.

Hate to say it, but if your engine truly hit 280F+ then you've likely got engine damage that may be beyond your skills to properly fix it. I think in your case, your best COA is to have it flat-bedded to a reputable mechanic that knows cruisers and get an estimate. Fix it right the first time--you're transporting your family in it and it needs to be made safe and reliable again.

Thankfully I live a little outside Boston.

Did your heater core explode? How did the coolant get inside the interior? Like others said, find the leak, fix it, new oil and filter. Than do a combustion gas test to see if the head gasket is toast.

Not trying to be rude or anything but if your really living in Boston I don't know why you would even want an 80 series.....

Hate to say it, but if your engine truly hit 280F+ then you've likely got engine damage that may be beyond your skills to properly fix it. I think in your case, your best COA is to have it flat-bedded to a reputable mechanic that knows cruisers and get an estimate. Fix it right the first time--you're transporting your family in it and it needs to be made safe and reliable again.
I'm not sure on the accuracy, at just about the same time it also gave the code P0115 which seems to be the coolant temp sensor. I'm not sure if went off as a result of getting fried from overheating or vise versa. I'm going to have a mechanic take a look, but it wont be for a few weeks and hope for the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom