Overhaul 2F or V-8 swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
Well what should i do? It sounds like by the time a overhaul my 2/75 2F engine(low compression 95-105psi and bad valve guides) i could just convert it to sb chevy. Stock 2F=original,adaquate performance,poor milage,spendy parts,no retrofitting,etc. V-8 swap=best performance,cheaper parts,not original,a series of mods to install,etc. Does anyone have any leads on where i should check for a complete overhauk kit for the 2F(everything)? Somewhere i saw a price for $1600.00 or $1800.00. I can't remember. Unbelievably high. Anyway your thoughts and help are appreciated.

Daily driver, stick with the 2F

Dedicated Trail rig, your choice 2F or SBC.

Mines mostly a DD and the 350 is over kill for it and kills the wallet too. I mean gas mileage is a serious thing to consider, I get about 9 MPG and it is fa wkin miserable, with a 14 gal tank I'm filling up for $33 bucks or so just to go roughly 125 miles, that's like 4 days of work and I'm fillin her up again. Don't remember exactly but I'm thinking that someone mentioned their 2F getting 14-17 or so. But there are lots of options with 350s you can add later. Never hurting for power offroading with a 350. Depends on your intended purposes both now and later.

Last edited:
There is a ton of info on this, but having done the v8 swap, it would be cheaper to rebuild. unless you want a lot of power which can lead to more things breaking, stay with the I6. I know I am going to get flamed for this but, I did it because I don't like the lack of power that the f series engines make. Granted you can build them to have more power than stock, but you can get a lot more out of a v8. It all depends on what you want to do with it.

Search engine. Tons of discussions already on file. (Sorry Steve ... had to say it)

Had my 2F rebuilt last year now has 500Nm of torque :cool:
Spins 35s up no problem now.

When I had my 6 I could never get better than 10-11 miles to the gallon. That was with a delco dis, weber, headers and cam. I replaced it with a stock SBC with smog. I did the conversion years ago before the smog laws changed. I get about 12-14mpg now. I have removed the smog as I no longer need it. Someone mentioned to me that with a SBC you use less throttle. Don't know if that is true, but my mpg did increase.

I'd say try to find a late model 2F (81-87 FJ60) and have that built up.

I am running a mildly warmed up 2F in my 76 FJ40.
I have plenty of power, and get 14-16mpg pretty consistantly.

You can do a 350 inexpensively, but it's going to hurt the wallet later down the road (cooling issues, breakage issues, wiring, fueling, etc etc etc). Once you get those worked out, 350's can be nice.
But it's a major pita to get those issues worked out,.

A well thought out 350 conversion will not be cheap.

I'll chime in here.. Awell tuned 350 will get about 12/16 mpg as long as you are not driving it like you stole it. It will aslo cost less to service.
I bought My engine brand new from chevrolet 2 yrs ago for 1300. and I think you can get A.A.'s kit for less than 400. So, if you are skilled enough to do it yourself cost wise , it might be cheaper to the sbc route.
do your home work... look through all the old threads, and make your decision
hope this helps

DaveWest5150 said:
I'll chime in here.. Awell tuned 350 will get about 12/16 mpg as long as you are not driving it like you stole it. It will aslo cost less to service.
I bought My engine brand new from chevrolet 2 yrs ago for 1300. and I think you can get A.A.'s kit for less than 400. So, if you are skilled enough to do it yourself cost wise , it might be cheaper to the sbc route.
do your home work... look through all the old threads, and make your decision
hope this helps

Mine's pretty well tuned and I don't really drive it like I stole it. Still about 9.4. What could I do to improve it?

i get crappy gas mileage but dont care, its easier to work on cheaper to fix and i bought a spare engine and the one i have in her now for under 370.00 bucks. v8 all the way.

hey hawk you need better gas mileage

sell it to me and ge a bicycle. hehe

Run LPG mine does 300K's on 75ltr's at a cost of .50c per ltr AUS
Sorry it's all metric and not sure if you guys even get LPG much.
But I get 500Nm of tourqe and 70Kw at the wheels
can run Gas/Petrol if I have to but twice the running cost.

Last edited:
matt.mcinnes said:
Run LPG mine does 300K's on 75ltr's at a cost of .50c per ltr AUS
Sorry it's all metric and not sure if you guys even get LPG much.
But I get 500Nm of tourqe and 70Kw at the wheels
can run Gas/Petrol if I have to but twice the running cost.

A stock 2F has 135 HP and 210 ft lb of torque (not at the wheels).

You're saying you have 70 kW (94 HP) and 500 Nm (370 ft Lb) at the wheels. Is the torque measurement being made in low gear?

I did a throttle body conversion on my 81 2F with a header and 2 1/2 magnaflow exhaust K&N filter, HEI distrubuter and I am getting around 17-18 mpg on the freeway, she needs a valve job but has tons of power, starts everytime cold or hot, if shes been sitting for a day or 6 month dosent matter. I got the kit from TURBO CITY about 3 or 4 years ago. I have gone though 1 fuel pump which was my fault, and 1 throttle position sensor. The kit is kind of expensive but worth it.

I converted to a 350 last spring using mark's of australia adapter. My brother and I did all the work on it. It had a hot cam and I drive it pretty hard and get around 10 mpg. It was expensive because mark's kit to keep the 4 speed is pricey. That said, I would never go back to the F motor. My cruiser is now much more fun to drive, pulls 35's with ease, never dies on hills or off road(Holley Projection), and will smoke rice rockets at a stop light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom