Opinions on fender flares, to keep them or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Also this is my second account because I reset my phone that had my 2FA andddd now don't have access to it. thanks google/my own stupidity lol.

But what do you think of fender flares? I can't decided if I love or hate the look of them being gone. If all goes as planned ill be checking out an 80 this weekend that look like the outside was at least fixed up but he had the flares removed and the holes filled. The bonus is that he also did the rear wing + roof rack removed and filled, which I plan to do on any 80 i get as i feel it looks cleaner and there is less spots to rust. I have been trying to find a totally complete 95-97 for awhile now and had one but the seller's wife changed her mind which sucks. this one also had the factory wheels redone, as they are gold color with black center caps, but that doesn't bother me too much. interior looks completely original and worn though, but not terrible.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1602.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

s-l1603.jpg

s-l1604.jpg

Personally I like the flares. I like how they add visual width to the truck and more importantly I like how they keep "some" MUD off the truck especially with bigger tires. In fact, I'd love to get some Japanese or Norwegian wide flares. Not the super wide Arctic Truck flares but there are some that are maybe 2" wider than stock. Like these from Fjallasport Fender Flares in Iceland.
1525552_644386455597382_893461430_n by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Personally I like the flares. I like how they add visual width to the truck and more importantly I like how they keep "some" MUD off the truck especially with bigger tires. In fact, I'd love to get some Japanese or Norwegian wide flares. Not the super wide Arctic Truck flares but there are some that are maybe 2" wider than stock. Like these from Fjallasport Fender Flares in Iceland.
1525552_644386455597382_893461430_n by Adam Tolman, on Flickr
Yeah I can’t decide which I like better haha! It looks good both ways. You what I’ll always hate though? The freaking sunroof. If I could find one without that sunroof I’d love it

I like the look, and I had hoped to keep them on over my 37s. BUT after loosing 2 to trail damage I have decided to go without them. I have found some low profile body buttons that cover the hole and stay in place. I have also fount paint that is a close match. I am not that picky as it is covered in chips and pinstripes. First fender is close to done. Waiting for cooler weather to Finnish before I start the next fender.

Personally I like the looks of an 80 series with no flares and they are easily damaged if you do a lot of wheeling.

But when I removed them on my last cruiser I definitely noticed a lot more mud getting flung on the body.

I think it's sixes, I wouldn't pass up a cruiser that I wanted based on the flares. If I picked up a nice rig with flares I would keep them until one got ruined, than I would delete them. If I found a nice rig that had them removed I wouldn't hesitate to buy it but I wouldn't bother trying to put them back on.

Personally I like the looks of an 80 series with no flares and they are easily damaged if you do a lot of wheeling.

But when I removed them on my last cruiser I definitely noticed a lot more mud getting flung on the body.

I think it's sixes, I wouldn't pass up a cruiser that I wanted based on the flares. If I picked up a nice rig with flares I would keep them until one got ruined, than I would delete them. If I found a nice rig that had them removed I wouldn't hesitate to buy it but I wouldn't bother trying to put them back on.
Yeah I know im being too picky LOL. I decided either way if the car checks out Ill buy, especially since its triple locked. Also I just found out the 80 I'd want to get is the suppoed "poverty edition" haha but apparently they're quite rare.

Fender flares are for the weak.

But seriously, they're 90% subjective. The other 10% is the additional coverage they give, which would be useful here in Oregon winters. My tire tread doesn't stick out with stock alloys, but I still get mud splashing up on the rocker panels from gravel parking lots. That's with 265/75R16. If you want to go with 285s (~11.5") or 315s (~12.5"), you will want flares, unless you like tires that stick out and shower other road users with stones.

I’d sell my 80 than drive one without those iconic 90s design flares. I swipe quickly past 80s pics without. It makes the 80 an 80. Looks matter. Factory wide body!

View attachment 3103067
They do look pretty damn good. But if I ever want a triple locked 80 in my price range and as complete im gonna have to wait a lot, lot longer to get one haha

been 6 years, wheeled pretty regularly on moderate to hard trails and flares are still intact, for the most part. Just needs lots of trimming on a 3.5" lift and 37s. It can be done.
Screenshot_20220501-151237_Instagram.jpg

If you buy that one it's a moot question as they will already be gone.

Asthetically, I personally like the flares. The delete looks OK too, though one might be more tempted to go with the 60 series retro grille replacement in that case. :hillbilly:

Like anything, it depends on what you want out of 80 ownership.

Collectability / investment value? May consider passing, because your buyer will want that "originality" and it's something to ding you on if it's not all there. I can hate on that all I want, but it's still true with the BaT crowd and their ilk.
Wheel / daily? Go for it, if rust free and well-maintained. Then again, you may want to save some heartburn and find one that's not locked and add lockers later.

Ultimately it's your truck and your $ so do what you want. I had a 3x locked 80 that I sort of lucked into finding locally, they are amazing trucks, but I'd never buy a locked one again *for my purposes.* I like being able to pile on the miles without worrying about resale, personally, but YMMV.

I bought my Cruiser with the flares removed but I still have the flares in storage. I love the look of the flares and the wider profile but I also like the clean body lines and low maintenance of no flares. Several times I've considered putting the flares back on but will probably never do it. I will agree with others that no flares means a lot more mud gets slung all over the sides of the Cruiser.
1662050658440.png

I’d sell my 80 than drive one without those iconic 90s design flares. I swipe quickly past 80s pics without. It makes the 80 an 80. Looks matter. Factory wide body!

I approve of this intensly personal feeling on the subject of flares. :clap:

First off, buy that Cruiser! That thing is clean, and no roof rails/holes and no moonroof is awesome.
Re the fender flares, I have deflared and I love it. I actually did a pretty muddy trail run when I had only removed the fender flares on one side. I didn't plan it that way, but it was a fairly objective test of whether the flares really do prevent mud getting up on the truck. In my case, it didn't seem to make any difference at all.
Without the flares, my 285/75 R16 KO2 tires on the stock rims stick out just slightly wider than the body, which is a look I like. To me it looks closer to a 60 Series without the flares, and I love the 60 Series look.
I'm happy I deflared.

Even with flares there can be lots of MUD that gets on the truck. That’s why I’m looking for some wider ones. This pic is factory flares and 35’s. This would be a constant issue without flares if you get out in the dirt. Even if it was just a street rig a rainy day would make the truck filthy. So to me it’s a matter of how much time you want to spend keeping the truck clean. No flares will mean much more time.
D37EE22C-F598-4472-9A65-338DC83BCE72.jpeg

Even with flares there can be lots of MUD that gets on the truck. That’s why I’m looking for some wider ones. This pic is factory flares and 35’s. This would be a constant issue without flares if you get out in the dirt. Even if it was just a street rig a rainy day would make the truck filthy. So to me it’s a matter of how much time you want to spend keeping the truck clean. No flares will mean much more time.
View attachment 3103419

I'm with Adam, I H8 MUD so much that I'm currently hording about five sets of mudflaps from people removing them. I LOVE mudflaps 😍.

If you're removing your mudflaps, PM me for my address and I'll send you some PP :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom