Open Source GX460 Drawer System (DIY) (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Moving right along. Blazer likes the new deck. Thought he’d be timid since its 10” higher than his normal perch but all it took was one Scooby snack to retrain him.

Next up is drawer faces and a sleeper. Anyone know why everyone uses piano hinges for sleepers? I’m thinking lift off gate hinges so I only take the sleeper when I need it.

Blazer approved build, I like it too!

Piano hinges have their place. For the door on my dog box on the back of the Northstar I used a SS piano hinge.

45049850874_340599ab75_b.jpg

Because it is the right hinge for that application.

For a sleeping platform it would work well also. But that application is different and not written in stone. I don't see why a removable pin hinge (actually several of them) wouldn't work. Gate hinges are generally heavy but generally have a high working load. I don't know why either one wouldn't work if you wanted to remove the extra platform. And that idea really makes sense to me.

There are a number of people that have built platforms with other types of hinges besides piano. I think most people get stuck in a box on design without doing needs analysis being done, at all.

Hopefully the last bit of snow in the yard will be gone tomorrow and before long I can get started on mine. Bet at least once a day I keep changing the design. Good luck going down the hinge rabbit hole ;) But you will have what works for you when you are done, not something that someone else designed for everyone else.

Moving right along. Blazer likes the new deck. Thought he’d be timid since its 10” higher than his normal perch but all it took was one Scooby snack to retrain him.

Next up is drawer faces and a sleeper. Anyone know why everyone uses piano hinges for sleepers? I’m thinking lift off gate hinges so I only take the sleeper when I need it.

Building this has been a long road but so excited about the added functionality. If I didn’t have to build and iterate, measure and wait for parts it would probably still take 3-4 days to build all this. If you have a cabinet maker build the boxes that would save a day. I just found out cabinets.com builds boxes like these for $150 each. Totally worth outsourcing that part but glad I did my own since it gave me a chance to learn how to use a router table from with my dad.

Going to need a shorter fridge and a fridge slide as well. Don’t get used to all that extra space, Blazer.

View attachment 3566713

View attachment 3566714
What's the depth measurement of the top of your platform? I am considering undeleting my second row and want to see if that's feasible or not without having to take everything apart and re mock it up.

What's the depth measurement
Platform top is 43”w X 36”d. I maximized the space so it’s about 5/8” away from my table folded up and maybe an 1/8” from the seat backs slid all the way back in the standard upright position. Its about 1/16 from touching the wheel well trim on either side. I’ll probably round off the edges with a router after I add the laminate Im planning on covering it with.

IMG_7983.jpeg

IMG_7984.jpeg

IMG_7985.jpeg

Platform top is 43”w X 36”d. I maximized the space so it’s about 5/8” away from my table folded up and maybe an 1/8” from the seat backs slid all the way back in the standard upright position. Its about 1/16 from touching the wheel well trim on either side. I’ll probably round off the edges with a router after I add the laminate Im planning on covering it with.

View attachment 3571478

View attachment 3571479

View attachment 3571480
Thanks for taking the time to post that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom