Onesprung60: 1967 FJ40 Frame Off Restore (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.wasatchcruisers.org
I have had this project for a few weeks, so its about time I start a thread. I have learned a bunch from lurking here for many years and guess its time I try and hopefully give a little back.

So a little history of the truck. I was a technician at a Toyota dealer a few years ago; working almost exclusively on Land Cruisers for the last 3-5 years. I rebuilt an engine for a customer of mine who was restoring a 1967 FJ40. It was one of the cleanest engines I had ever built and the owner basically said, make it perfect, no expenses spared. Fast forward a few years and he lost interest in the restore while its still in pieces. He got a hold of me and offered to sell everything he had to me. He had a boatload of new parts, many from the dealer, and a bunch from SOR and others. It was also a very clean almost rust free body. The only problem is that it was in about as many pieces as a cruiser could be. So after looking at, I decided to jump in and put it back together.

So I am starting with a 1967, in pieces with some parts already done, many more parts that need to be rebuilt, painted and/or installed. The PO was replacing all the fasteners with stainless steel, and had the frame and a bunch of other pieces galvanized.

On to a few pics and then the progress I have made so far.

Pic 1- The super clean 2F, this was removed from a 1984 FJ60 and then rebuilt with 100% OEM parts including all the bearings, rings, pistons and seals; and a brand new carburetor. This is the only thing that will not be stock to the truck. I am going to see what I can do to make it "look" a little more period correct. I am going to try and use the original air cleaner and valve cover from the original F; which is blown but was included with the truck.

Pic 2- The rolling chassis as I picked it up. The axles are almost finished up, there are no brake parts in the right front wheel, no hubs installed (have the period correct Warn hubs to restore and install) and the rear pinion seal needs to be replaced.

Pic 3- The body as I picked it up. Some minimal rust; but about as good as I have ever seen for a truck this old.
IMG_6101 (Medium).JPG
IMG_6199 (Medium).JPG
IMG_6237 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
So first order of business was to strip the frame and get it coated to cover up the galvanizing. I decided to go with powdercoat, the local PC place quoted me a killer price and I couldn't pass it up. Should work out pretty well since the frame was galvanized about three years ago. Once the frame was ready for PC I had to make all the holes round again and sand off any lumps left over from where the galvanize was a little too thick. I also had to fix the threads on the spring perches as they were stripped by the PO.

So a pic before the PC, and a pic after the PC:
1967 FJ40 027 (Medium).jpg
1967 FJ40 038 (Medium).jpg

Once the frame was back it was time to bolt the axles back in place, and then decide where to go from there. I am trying to get the chassis ready for the engine. Before I drop the engine in I want the rolling chassis complete. So I have been working on the brakes, including replacing all the brake lines, getting the steering links back on and finishing up the axles.

A couple more pics.

Pic 1- Wheel cylinder rebuild in progress

Pic 2- Fabbing the brake lines. I am using the original 9mm fittings, but searched high and low in town for some new 9mm steel brake line. After no luck finding any new stuff, I am reusing the fittings but with new steel lines. The frame really looks better then the picture leads on, its a little dusty and the flash is making it all show up against the black.

Pic 3- A bunch of new hardware. I am probably a little too anal, but the stainless stuff just looks out of place. It was a pain to track down yellow zinc JIS hardware and I actually had to source it from 3 different palces, but I think it will make a big difference in the final product.
1967 FJ40 105 (Medium).jpg
1967 FJ40 101 (Medium).jpg
1967 FJ40 034 (Medium).jpg

That's about it so far. I am waiting for a few more parts before I can make too much more progress, I hope to keep this thread updated regularly with progress and the work I am doing; and I am sure I will have some questions along the way as well.

My plan is to keep the truck stock, except for the 2F. That includes keeping the 3 on the tree, it has ball/claw front axles and drum brakes all the way around. I also plan to get a factory soft top, but will probably restore the hard top as well.

Which brings me to my first question. How can I tell if this was originally an FST truck? A couple things that lead me to believe it may have been an FST. It has a fold down windshield, it has footman loops on the tailgate doors, even though they are two piece, and the VIN is FJ40L. Any more info you guys have would be appreciated.

And one more while I am at it. Anyone know what these brackets are? They were in a box labeled rear taillights
1967 FJ40 090 (Medium).jpg

Your build has been one of my biggest motivators, thanks for the inspiration!

You're on a start to put my restore to shame :D

Love the new brake lines, looking sharp!

FST had footman loops on the tail gate for sure
You can also look at the top of windscreen for a channel/
fj40L on the tag is def a FST if i recall properly :)

Have you taken the top of the body yet?

Excited to see more man!

Oh and welcome to mud :D

Hmmm , not sure about the bracket, I do not recall seeing one like it one my restore.
Some of the cats here or in the 25 section might be able to answer that question :)

WOW!!! how perfect is that, you ended up with it and it's your motor build, seems fitting and seems like a dream project. I will be watching for sure. ok it's way late but I am taking a flashlight outside to look at the tail lights on my 67

OK, nothing like that angle bracket on mine, and that general region of my rig is still stock, so not sure what that could be.....sorry

by the way 9mm stuff is unfindable, at least I can't find it and I have searched.

That's about it so far. I am waiting for a few more parts before I can make too much more progress, I hope to keep this thread updated regularly with progress and the work I am doing; and I am sure I will have some questions along the way as well.

My plan is to keep the truck stock, except for the 2F. That includes keeping the 3 on the tree, it has ball/claw front axles and drum brakes all the way around. I also plan to get a factory soft top, but will probably restore the hard top as well.

Which brings me to my first question. How can I tell if this was originally an FST truck? A couple things that lead me to believe it may have been an FST. It has a fold down windshield, it has footman loops on the tailgate doors, even though they are two piece, and the VIN is FJ40L. Any more info you guys have would be appreciated.

And one more while I am at it. Anyone know what these brackets are? They were in a box labeled rear taillights

Found a picture of a '64 in an other tread with an extra set of taillights mounted high on the hard top using brackets that look like yours.

They appear to be original, don't know if they where still used on a '67.
uc_64_fj40.jpg

Last edited:
A stamped steel valve cover from a later F should work with your 2F. Many, including myself, have swapped an Aluminum 2F cover onto our F motors, so it should work the other way as well.

Look forward to watching your build.:D

Found a picture of a '64 in an other tread with an extra set of taillights mounted high on the hard top using brackets that look like yours.

They appear to be original, don't know if they where still used on a '67.

x2. i have seen them floating around on a few local pre-'69 vintage 40s. i never thought they were a stock item though.

they look a lot like the light brackets you get with the old KC hilights you bolt to the roll bar of your '92 mini truck. :p

Thanks for the suggestions on the bracket, I think you guys are on to something along the lines of aftermarket lights. But not on the top, there are no holes in it:
1967 FJ40 109 (Medium).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom