One CV At A Time? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found some contradicting opinions on this.

My front drivers’ CV is starting to squeak, so it’s probably already plenty overdue for replacement (no tear in boot). I have a road trip slated for the holidays (CO to TX and back). My budget net of some unforeseen life stuff, a pile of maintenance and little repairs, and a wedding have me slightly strapped. Cheapest I found for OEM (preferred) is ~700 for the pair. My OCD says obviously just do both while you’re at it, but kind of wanting to either take care of the drivers side and do the passenger later, or put this off until we’re back in town after the new year.

Is a CV going to weld itself if I run 12hrs on it? Am I going to somehow do diff damage if I’m running one new and one old?

Our CVs are generally pretty trouble-free.. I'd be looking elsewhere for squeaks unless you have some other reason to believe it is on one of the axles.

Don’t over think it my dude. Also you sure it’s the CV squeaking?
Brother.. overthinking is my entire personality.

I’m 90% sure, I’ve checked the shims on my brake pads, the dust plate, the collars on the CV, the rotor, most everything I can think of. Only presents under light to moderate braking and left hand turns. Still need to put it on jack stands and try to replicate, but the CVs have 155k original miles and are overdue as is, I assumed I had enough of a case for them being the issue.

Our CVs are generally pretty trouble-free.. I'd be looking elsewhere for squeaks unless you have some other reason to believe it is on one of the axles.
Fair enough, I know that’s consensus around here, I guess I just assumed I was the sod who wound up with the exception. I’ll go back through the drivers side one more time before I hit the panic button.

A squeak wouldn’t dissuade me from that trip anyway. Loud clicking or crunching, notchiness when turning under power.. possibly.

Ours are very robust with the only actual failures I read about coming from improper disassembly of the front suspension or too much load at full droop (usually with shocks that increase down travel and therefore CV angles). We just don’t see many failures, even with a number of rigs approaching pretty high mileage.. mine is at almost 200k with no sign of CV issue.

Last edited:
If you do decide to replace the CV, check the discount parts sites this weekend. It is closer to $500 for a pair with the current sale and many have free shipping and no sales tax.

A squeak wouldn’t dissuade me from that trip anyway. Loud clicking or crunching, notchiness when turning under power.. possibly.

Ours are very robust with the only actual failures I read about coming from improper disassembly of the front suspension or too much load at full droop (usually with shocks that increase down travel and therefore CV angles). We just don’t see many failures, even with a number of rigs approaching pretty high mileage.. mine is at almost 200k with no sign of CV issue.
I appreciate that. I guess I’ll go take my second pass over everything.

If you do decide to replace the CV, check the discount parts sites this weekend. It is closer to $500 for a pair with the current sale and many have free shipping and no sales tax.
I’m sorry to ask, I’ve actually been looking and haven’t found quite that sweet a deal.. you don’t have a link available that I’m missing do you?

EDIT: Apologies man, hadn’t picked through the dealership websites, immediately found what you’re looking at. Might try and stretch and pick up a pair as a just in case. Thank you for the intel.

Check lower control arm bushings first!
Good call. Already swapping out LCAs when this batch of snow melts, and the sound is proportionate to wheel speed, disappears after ~10mph and after first braking impulse. Maybe I’m missing something in the pads/calipers/shims. I swear I looked but every time I hear it I feel like it’s a shim. Idk.. losing my mind.

Good call. Already swapping out LCAs when this batch of snow melts, and the sound is proportionate to wheel speed, disappears after ~10mph and after first braking impulse. Maybe I’m missing something in the pads/calipers/shims. I swear I looked but every time I hear it I feel like it’s a shim. Idk.. losing my mind.
If the sound disappears after braking I would assume its bushings due to load shifting, however if the sound goes with speed it might be something else

I wouldn’t call 156k overdue for CVs and I’ve never heard one squeak. Either they click in turns, or the boots fail, but in my experience that takes 200k miles + or abuse.

The squeak is almost certainly elsewhere.

I didn't see it mentioned yet, have you greased your drive shafts yet?
They get a couple pumps every oil change. I did skip the front this last oiul change because of... my laziness and 50lb skid plates. I wouldn't have thought that short of a missed interval would kill it but good call, worth a check. Waiting for a surprise 36hr snowfall to cease and desist, I'll have a look at those ASAP.

I wouldn’t call 156k overdue for CVs and I’ve never heard one squeak. Either they click in turns, or the boots fail, but in my experience that takes 200k miles + or abuse.

The squeak is almost certainly elsewhere.
Probably my ignorance... I had it in my head that 150k was sort of the turning point for those. Not sure where that started but good to see everyone on the same page as far as CVs being unlikely to be the issue. Not getting any of the other CV symptoms.

If, say, I found a way of getting a aftermarket CV axle for $40, is there any merit in carrying that as a trail spare as opposed to either an OEM one or a reman from CVJ?

Only reason I ask is, if I'm slinging stuff around offroad, is there a risk that I'm going to puncture a boot on an OEM one? Planning on stashing trail spare in my drawers, held "in place" by a handful of Voila straps to limit movement, but don't want to pinch or cut a boot and then basically be limping it back home looking for a second OEM one.

Well aware of the quality and integrity issues with aftermarket CVs, but just thinking I'd be more willing to swap one on in the middle of nowhere, find out its punctured or just generally a piece of garbage, and pull a front driveshaft on the way home if it cost me $40, as opposed to $300+. Granted, my only real concern is damaging boots while it's in my drawers... probably pretty low risk exposure on that?

Personally would 1000% go with a reman.

1706483364046.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom