One CV At A Time? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If, say, I found a way of getting a aftermarket CV axle for $40, is there any merit in carrying that as a trail spare as opposed to either an OEM one or a reman from CVJ?

Only reason I ask is, if I'm slinging stuff around offroad, is there a risk that I'm going to puncture a boot on an OEM one? Planning on stashing trail spare in my drawers, held "in place" by a handful of Voila straps to limit movement, but don't want to pinch or cut a boot and then basically be limping it back home looking for a second OEM one.

Well aware of the quality and integrity issues with aftermarket CVs, but just thinking I'd be more willing to swap one on in the middle of nowhere, find out its punctured or just generally a piece of garbage, and pull a front driveshaft on the way home if it cost me $40, as opposed to $300+. Granted, my only real concern is damaging boots while it's in my drawers... probably pretty low risk exposure on that?
I wouldn't bother carrying an aftermarket CV as several people who have tried them have had subsequent failures. If you're going through the effort of swapping one in (either one the trail or in a shop) and giving up the space/weight to carry one, why go back and do it a second time? The cost isn't that significant and if you never use it I suspect you can sell it for whatever you paid to someone else on the forum as people are regularly looking for spare CVs.

I wouldn't bother carrying an aftermarket CV as several people who have tried them have had subsequent failures. If you're going through the effort of swapping one in (either one the trail or in a shop) and giving up the space/weight to carry one, why go back and do it a second time? The cost isn't that significant and if you never use it I suspect you can sell it for whatever you paid to someone else on the forum as people are regularly looking for spare CVs.
I guess I was primarily concerned with tearing a boot as its getting throw around in the drawer and then having a full-cost OEM CV basically just act as a trail fix needing to be replaced again once home, but gut instinct tells me that's probably a low probability event if it's just reasonable secured in there. Just wasn't sure if it was worth it to have a dirt cheap one as a 'limp it to town' backup, but seeing that those remans are like $100, that might as well be the route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom