3 CV Shaft in <1000 miles??!? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2015 LC 200 2" OME lift installed at 50,000 miles. Currently sitting at 155,000 miles. About a moth ago truck was in at a local mechanic shop for service. While at the shop I asked them to do a complete inspection. Shop reported both front CV shafts were bad and needed to be replaced. I authorize them to replace them. 3 days later I noticed the driver's side boot destroyed and grease covering the fender well. Sent it back to the shop for replacement. Fast forward to this weekend. Pulling a trailer up to GA to go hunting, I made it 400 miles into the trip and the same CV shaft completely came apart and caught fire. Had it towed to Toyota this time and had them replace the CV, also asked them to inspect everything and see what's going on. They replace the shaft and report no other issues. 54 miles later the same shaft comes apart.... wtf. Anyone hear of this? Any idea wth could be going on?

Poor install jobs, I’m guessing.

incompetent mechanic?

OEM parts? Lots of folks balk at the price of OEM CVs until their Napa Super Duper Ultra Premium rebuilt CV fails catastrophically.

What a strange story! Both front CVs bad, 3 new ones fail in just few hundred miles, fire, 2 CVs (including OEM) come apart. Sheesh! The last OEM one is under warranty, so take it back to Toyota and let them investigate. They won't want to have to keep replacing it under warranty, so maybe they will do more than a cursory inspection.

Just went look at the box the CV came in from the Toyota dealership.... You'll never guess what I found.

20231203_183714.jpg

Well that's almost unbelievable, perhaps a call to Toyota corporate? Might see if you paid the price for OEM too.

I'm dumbfounded. I can't believe Toyota themselves put this s*** on my truck. I can semi understand the local shop, but the damn dealership!!!

Total repair at Toyota was like $495, I'm not sure what it is supposed to be.

Dealers install aftermarket parts all the time.. unless you specify otherwise.

Even the wiper blades they install have a Toyota logo but are made by sight line and are inferior quality.

Dealers install aftermarket parts all the time.. unless you specify otherwise.

Even the wiper blades they install have a Toyota logo but are made by sight line and are inferior quality.

I guess I just expected better from whats supposed to be an above average brand. That one is on me.

problem is the toyota dealership isnt really toyota.... theyre just some bozos with a franchise licence

problem is the toyota dealership isnt really toyota.... theyre just some bozos with a franchise licence

Exactly.

And Toyota has little legal right to control what the dealer does. They will install cheap and fast over quality and 2 days to receive if it gets you out the door and another vehicle onto the lift.

Somehow I find it a little hard to believe that Toyota Corp,would condone subbing in inferior parts?

It definitely happens at the dealer closest to me. They install aftermarket parts all the time and so far as I can tell Toyota corporate doesn’t care. It’s very deceptive because the ads all emphasize how important it is to use a dealer because they install OEM…..ha!

It definitely happens at the dealer closest to me. They install aftermarket parts all the time and so far as I can tell Toyota corporate doesn’t care. It’s very deceptive because the ads all emphasize how important it is to use a dealer because they install OEM…..ha!
Wiper blades etc. no problem but drivetrain/engine parts specify OEM and get it on the work order.

Is there any possibility your alignment has changed at all? That’s the only thing I could think of. Do your UCA’s allow adjustment like the SPC?

Turns out all shafts were aftermarket. I was able to take a pic of the aftermarket shafts vs OEM not even CLOSE!!!

Would love to see the pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom