On Finding Love Again (My "New" 1986 FJ60) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, the post title is a bit dramatic, but who doesn't love a little drama?! Anyone who buys a 30+ year old truck definitely enjoys a little from time to time!

Hi ya'll. I just wanted to officially introduce my new ride, even though it's been mentioned on previous threads here and there. I figured it was time for it to have it's own thread.

A little back story first: I grew up in Texas, but after graduating with my masters degree from Baylor University, I decided to move to the middle of the Outback in Australia. I moved to a little town called Alice Springs in the middle of nowhere and ended up spending the next 6 years of my life there. Let me tell you--it's remote as hell, but the people there are something special. I miss it dearly. Anyways, within a few months of getting there I bought a 1981 FJ40 (right hand drive of course) off ebay from some guy on the Gold Coast for about $4k Australian dollars. Bikini top, roll bars, beige, 33" tires, sweet as.

"No it's never had any beach driving, yes it works great mate." "Ok, sold!"

My 2nd day driving it, the engine seized on the only road to work and all 200 plus employees got to see my new ride broken down on the side of the road. My first repair was rebuilding the engine and I got to know Jim the mechanic there pretty well over the next 6 years. New radiator, new carb, new alternator, new battery, new all 4 tires (after blowing them all on the same trip driving over some tough bushes and a really steep hill), new starter, etc. etc. There wasn't much I didn't replace on that ride. It took me 4 years of driving it around illegally before the MVR would actually register it (long story), but when they finally did, they told me, "we won't pass it next time; the whole bottom is about to rust out. It looks like it's had a fair bit of beach driving." o_O I ended up selling it before leaving to come back to the States, but I still kick myself every time I think about it for not bring it back overseas. Would have been a gem to have back here.

Anyways, on finding love again! Ever since returning, I'd been looking to find another one but was shocked to realize how much they were going for in the US. I had almost given up finding one until for some reason as my 3rd child was being delivered, I thought, "Hey, what a great time to start looking for a 30 year old truck to replace my reliable 2013 Honda Civic. Sure, 3 kids 3 and under... no worries. I've got time for this."

This time I was convinced the 60 series was the way to go. I actually almost won another ebay rig (fool me once, shame on... me... fool me, I can't get fooled again!), but decided I wanted to find something closer to home. Also the thought of leaving my wife with a newborn while I flew to the east coast to drive a new vehicle home didn't settle well. I had almost given up finding one that wasn't either 1) trashed out or 2) in good condition but sold quicker than I could call on it, when I came across a good looking FJ60 only about an hours drive from my house!

Apparently the previous owner had passed away a year and a half ago, and the guy selling it had it listed for 6 months before I came around and looked at it. I was the first and last one to come check it out. Body is in great condition, engine had an idle problem, but hey, we can figure that out, right (@CaptClose definitely thought so!)? So I bought what I've since come to find out is an amazing rig. That PO took good care of it and added some cool mods. I'm happy to pick up the torch from here and already love the thing. It lessens the sting of not bringing back that 40 just a little bit. Side note: when I went to look at the 60, he also had a 40 that I almost bought. Decisions, decisions, but I figured I better be more practical having a family and all. :D That 40's in good hands now though (right @CenTXFJ60 & @kmj64?)!

Ok, enough blabbing. Here's some details and what I know so far. Remember, I'm just getting back into working on my own car after 7 years of just handing it off to the Honda dealership. It's good for the soul, but I'm still learning every day.

-----
Photo Feb 04, 14 05 01.jpg
Photo Feb 04, 14 05 12.jpg

-----
May 1986 FJ60
Purchased in January 2017
Dark Blue Metallic (8B4)
~205k miles

Upgrades at the time of purchase:

- ARB front bumper
- Custom back bumper with spare wheel mount
- Man-A-Fre Exhaust
- Dual battery system (with Optima Redtop)
- 5 speed manual transmission!
- Spotlights mounted on the ARB
- Wagon Gear Tailgate Compartment
- Upgraded, thicker carpet, probably from the 80 series
- Tuffy Center Console Lockbox with hidden stereo compartment
- Upgraded tires and wheels (deets when its not so late)
- Front lockers
- Big side mirrors (looks to be aftermarket)
- Leather Seats​

Current and Outstanding Work:

- Idling issue (Fixed 4/28/17 with the new carb!)

The truck won't keep idle unless the choke is pulled out.
Dies lower than about 1350 RPM. Most likely a vacuum issue somewhere.
Update: After replacing the carb with the rebuild, I can idle with choke off @ 650 rpm. Amazing!​

- Crack in the intake manifold (Fixed with JB Weld)

Tried patching this with JB Weld, but there's another vacuum issue besides this one. Truck still won't idle properly.
Update: With the carb replacement, there is no more vacuum issue!
- Batteries dead/low when purchased

Bought a quick charger (insert link) and charged both batteries overnight. Hoping the batteries just need reconditioning (they sat for a long time). Time will tell.
- Carburetor needs to be rebuilt (Received back ~ 4/25/17, installed 4/28/17)

Sent away to @FJ40Jim to have its magic restored. Actually, I sent another one @CaptClose had lying around so that I wouldn't have to go without driving my truck for a while. Can't thank him enough for that!
- New Purchase Baselines

- Changed the oil and added new 20w50 (hello Texas weather) (2/09/2017)
- Replaced the oil filter (2/09/2017)
- Replaced the spark plugs (NGK) (2/09/2017)
- Replaced the spark plug wires with an NGK set (2/18/2017)
- Replaced the distributor cap and rotor (2/19/2017)
- Installed a new K&N air filter (also have an OEM one I ordered from @beno). You all have thoughts on which one is better? (2/13/2017)
- Capped off the open pipe into the air cleaner (thanks @FJ40Jim for pointing that one out) (2/13/2017)
- Drained and replaced the engine coolant. Radiator drain plug threads stripped so the radiator leaded fluid for a night until I could locate a replacement. Found out my radiator isn't stock because the stock plugs don't fit. Not sure what brand it is. (2/11/2017)
- Burped the coolant system using one of the non-spill funnels recommended by @Slow Left on the Meet Merl post (great resource by the way). (2/16/2017)
- Replaced the fuel filter (2/21/2017)
- Topped up the power steering fluid and tightened the alternator belt. (2/19/2017)
- Still need to replace the gear oil in the diffs, and the transfer case. Also want to replace the factory bolts with the low profile drain plugs and gaskets from Toyota.
- Any other baseline stuff I can take care of while waiting for the carb rebuild?
- Horn doesn't work. (Fixed now)

Or actually, it does work, just when I turn the wheel left. Not when I press the horn button. I disconnected the horns for now until I can look into this.
Update: The horn does work now after resurfacing the copper contact plate in the steering wheel.
- Tuffy Lockbox doesn't have a key (lock mechanism replaced on 2/24/2017)

The PO didn't leave that behind where anyone could find it, but thankfully it was already unlocked.
I ordered a lock replacement from Tuffy that should arrive in a few days.
- Liftgate supports are dead (replaced supports on 2/23/2017)

I ordered a few new ones from amazon.com (Lift Supports Depot) and should be able to install those this weekend.
- Stereo doesn't work

I'm not sure why. Haven't had time to look into this yet, but the truck also came with a bazooka subwoofer in the back, so I need to get this going so I can start bumping soon :)
- Dome light is out (replaced dome and glovebox with LEDs - 2/26/2017)

Ordered replacement LEDs for the Dome Light, Luggage Compartment, and Glove Box from superbrightleds.com. Should be here in a few days.
I'm sure there's more, but it's getting late. I'll post more later!

Last edited:
Looks great! Sounds like you have some similar to dos that I have as well.

You really made out with all the mods, saves you quite a bit of money in the long run, even though the manifold is cracked.

Good luck! Truck should be running perfectly once the carb and manifold is done.

Nice 60!

Like Mattressking said, you have most of the big stuff done.
5-Speed being the most expensive.

I know how that whole take it to the dealer and pick it up after lunch is. I am tired of it to my 86 60 is getting restored by yours truly.

How is the inside? Leaks? They cannot be easier to work on. Duck tape, bailing wire and chewing gum and it is back together.

@davelovesfjs Nice looking vehicles..
Idle issue is most likely the ICS (fuel cut solenoid) if you are able to keep it running with choke pulled but it will not idle. Check the Emissions Control Module in the drivers kick panel to see that it is PLUGGED IN (don't ask me how I know this), then do some searching and you will find the test procedure for the ICS. If it is bad you are somewhat SOL as they are NLA, @FJ40Jim recommends finding a good used one (try SOR) otherwise your option is limited to a chicom replacement from CCOT (I have one).

Replaced the lift gate supports today. That took all of 5 minutes. Bingo!

@kmj64 Those are some nice looking rigs! Happy for you!
@Willard The inside is great! I'll post some more photos soon. No leaks thus far. Pretty happy about that!
@gregnash Thanks for the tip on checking out the ICS. My ECM is plugged in thankfully (I found your thread where yours wasn't! Doh!). I found the ICS test procedure and I'll have to check that out later tonight.

Replaced the lift gate supports today. That took all of 5 minutes. Bingo!

@kmj64 Those are some nice looking rigs! Happy for you!
@Willard The inside is great! I'll post some more photos soon. No leaks thus far. Pretty happy about that!
@gregnash Thanks for the tip on checking out the ICS. My ECM is plugged in thankfully (I found your thread where yours wasn't! Doh!). I found the ICS test procedure and I'll have to check that out later tonight.

Nice... yeah if you cannot keep the truck running without the choke pulled (even to the first notch) then that ICS is most likely inop.

I found a few old photos of the 1981 FJ40 I owned while living in Australia. For your viewing pleasure.

Sweet 40 Dave. It's pretty cool to see one in its native environment. Not all that different than the Texas Hill Country. Who is that guy without the beard though?

Great looking 60!

Nice rig! Love me some 60.

If I had lived in Australia, I would have hunted down a Troopy, though...
You're right, that Troopy would have been great out there for camping!

Nice looking truck Davelovesfjs...

The interior looks great. Something I would have done and some I would not have, but overall very very clean.
I still say what a great ride! Makes me want to do much more to mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom