40 FST experts. Need some input (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CenTXFJ60

SILVER Star
Threads
IMG_9551.JPG
IMG_9552.JPG
IMG_9553.JPG
IMG_9554.JPG
IMG_9562.JPG
going to look at a 75 40 for my brother. Guy says it's an FST but I'm not convinced. Someone mentioned it would have a map light to the right of the glovebox and an "L" in the vin. Neither of these are present. It is a rust free 40. Thinking my brother can get it in the $10-12k range. Curious if that seems fair. My knowledge on 40's is limited. It's all stock with the drum brakes etc. thanks for your feedback.

That tailgate is from a fst model. Looks right. Difficult to say for sure without seeing other vin plate and a side photo. The little Vader light would not be on a 1975 model to the best of my knowledge.

Indy, is that a vacuum transfer shifter on the firewall?
I don't see that.

It's been rebuilt. Items painted over on the front doors for example.

Also, I don't know on a 75, however I think it should have holes in upper lip of the quarter panel rails for factory top fasteners. I don't see those.

I personably wouldn't go look at that without the 10-12K in cash in my pocket if those are the pics, the price he sent you and it runs/drives if your able to. Good luck that looks like a good solid one from the pics you have shared. Hope it works out!

I could be wrong but I think all FJ40's came with the soft top belt loops on the tail gate, but only the fst models came with the loops also on the quarter panels, correct me if I'm wrong.

IMG_9407.JPG
I could be wrong but I think all FJ40's came with the soft top belt loops on the tail gate, but only the fst models came with the loops also on the quarter panels, correct me if I'm wrong.
The 74 I got recently has the loops on the quarter. But nothing else I've heard of that comes with a FST

Look for the rear hoop attachments in the rear corners of the tub.. The FST bows fit into holders and will not be on a standard hardtop. My '70 FST did not have the loops on the tailgate, had the darth vader light to the right of the glove box, strap eyes on the "A" pillar and the different hinges. His tailgate looks to be correct for a FST.

Mine does not have an L in the VIN.

Last edited:
The front door hinges will be different on an fst. This one has early hard doors (paint on the plugs for the wing window check for rust.) There should be a hole for the safety strap on the A pillar.

That is right. I had a 74 FST and it had the soft doors that you could lift off easily due to the hinge design. There was also an Eye bolt on the dash (in the door jamb) that the safety strap hooked to. If its a FST that threaded hole should be open. My 78 has that same hole but it is closed up during assembly. I guess Toyota didn't change the casting??

Those are definitely 74 and older doors. Tailgate is from a FST for sure. The footmans loops were like that on all 40's if I recall right. There was a snap or some other type fastener down the side hidden from view when the sides of the top were down on mine. Not mine below but a great example.
FST 40.jpg

All model had footman loops on the 72-74 models. I know the 75 FAST that is rare in the US still had the spare tire on the passenger side. Has at least part of the correct rear license bracket. Tailgate should only have four footman loops. Toyota did away with the middle ones in 72. My 73 FST only has four. Would curious to see the side door catch. These are 74 and earlier doors. Under the hood should be another plaque. Still should be on the passenger fender. That should have a model number as well as the VIN. The model probably will tell you whether it's was a hard top or soft top from the factory.

74 FJ40.jpg

My 74 that I had. like a dummy I gave away the doors and bows! Before I knew better. I added the hard top and doors from another 74. We painted the rig but it never had loops down the side. There were snaps or those turn type fasteners (like on the jump seats) down the pinch weld at the top of the tub.

IMG_9568.JPG
So my brother got it. Had some mild rust on the underside of the passenger floor. He was able to get it for much less when we identified the rust issues. It is a FST. Did not get good pics but it has the "I" bolt holes in the "A" pillar and the hinges r different than a regular 40. Also had two triangular mounting brackets on top of the windshield frame. Unfortunately the tag on the fender is missing. It's been in California its whole life until 4 years ago when it was brought here to TX. I'll get more pics when we pick it up on Tuesday. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Still curious which door catch is the side doors? Toyota didn't switch the spare to the driver's side in 75 with soft top curious if didn't change door catch either. Where do the cowl vent hoses drain, thru the firewall or transmission cover? Wonder if Toyota just changed the windshield and engine and used the same tub as the 74 FST in 75 on the soft top. Not uncommon for Toyota has sub models change later. Sequoia changed a year later when the Tundra changed second generation. Curious if other markets that soft tops came with hard doors which style doors they got in 75. Sorry for the questions after 74 the percentage FST imported to the US dropped to almost nothing.

One last question would like to see a picture of the two triangular piece on the windshield. Sounds like it might be aftermarket. Why it seems hard to believe now it wasn't that uncommon for owners dump the factory bows when the original vinyl top wore out because it was cheaper to buy aftermarket top/bows/doors then buy replacement top from Toyota.

Still curious which door catch is the side doors? Toyota didn't switch the spare to the driver's side in 75 with soft top curious if didn't change door catch either. Where do the cowl vent hoses drain, thru the firewall or transmission cover? Wonder if Toyota just changed the windshield and engine and used the same tub as the 74 FST in 75 on the soft top. Not uncommon for Toyota has sub models change later. Sequoia changed a year later when the Tundra changed second generation. Curious if other markets that soft tops came with hard doors which style doors they got in 75. Sorry for the questions after 74 the percentage FST imported to the US dropped to almost nothing.

One last question would like to see a picture of the two triangular piece on the windshield. Sounds like it might be aftermarket. Why it seems hard to believe now it wasn't that uncommon for owners dump the factory bows when the original vinyl top wore out because it was cheaper to buy aftermarket top/bows/doors then buy replacement top from Toyota.
I'll definitely get lots of pictures on Tuesday. Would be good to have everyone vet through it to verify things. Would be cool to confirm what this was born as. Either way, my brother is good with it. Even has prior owner history (purchase docs, address and phone from Ca ) in the glove box. Even has the original Toyo glass with the 2F sticker. Unfortunately it's cracked.

Also curious about the same stuff as @Living in the Past

Also the FST used an eyelet next to the dash pad ... it would have been removed for the hard doors... but... the hole would be there
Absolutely, will get plenty of pics. I'm copying @fl4031003 @kmj64 since they were there. KMJ is my brother who bought the 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom