OME Install - need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

I'm just getting started on an OME install. I've run into a puzzle I can't figure out. The PO installed new shackles, but I can't figure out how to remove. I'm working on the front end first. I've got the front shackle off, but can't for the life of me get the rear portion of the front spring loose. I've removed the bolt and the secondary bolt, but i've been wailing on the bolt from the inside and it will not move. It's loose in there, I can move back and forth a few millimeters each way
IMG_0078.jpg
IMG_0080.jpg
IMG_0081.jpg
IMG_0082.jpg
, but it seems to hit a point where it will go no further. Is there a way to disassemble the "tear drop" shaped piece?

air hammer works wonders,
sometimes heat is needed,
if you have clearance you can use a port a power ram across to the other frame rail and push it out.
crows foot bar under the lip will sometimes work.

Once that little 8mm bolt is unscrewed from the outside of the "teardrop" spray some rust breaker spray along its outer edge. Get a drift (3/8" socket extension) and try to tap the narrow end of the teardrop to try to rotate it a little bit. Behind the teardrop there's a round plate that fits snugly in the round hangar and it's probably rusted in there a tad. Once you can get the teardrop rotating, it should be easier to extract. (But not easy)

Okay. I'll keep reefing on it then. It is loose. Just seems to be hitting something. I was just concerned that it was threaded in some way and I'd end up damaging it.

Thanks for the help.

Once that little 8mm bolt is unscrewed from the outside of the "teardrop" spray some rust breaker spray along its outer edge. Get a drift (3/8" socket extension) and try to tap the narrow end of the teardrop to try to rotate it a little bit. Behind the teardrop there's a round plate that fits snugly in the round hangar and it's probably rusted in there a tad. Once you can get the teardrop rotating, it should be easier to extract. (But not easy)
Oh, okay, will do. That makes sense. Thank you.

did you try adding some grease thru the zerk to "help"
looking at the above pics, the shoulder is out of the frame mount, my guess is the friction of the bushings to the pin is holding you up.

Make certain you are not fighting the weight of the vehicle, which can keep you from moving the bolt when you hit it.

Use a bottle jack under the U Bolt plate...or move the jack towards the rear hanger you're working on. Watch the bolt to help determine when you have no dead weight resisting your hammer blows.

What 3 puppies says. The BUSHING is grabbing the pin. Burn that sucker with mapp gas for 15 minutes or until it gets really soft, then it will come right out. Remember...more frying, less prying.

Yuck. Burning bushings is bad news. If you go the flame route do it outside and don’t breath any smoke as it will do nasty things to your insides.

If you have a good tip and can focus the heat on the bolt that’s the way to go. But be wary of grease and old oil. Keep an extinguisher handy

I usually warm it up a bit, put it channel lock on the teardrop side and a prybar underneath it—twist and pry at the same time

I keep a pair of brass drifts handy. One long one and one short one. They’re good for when you need to pound the sh!t of something and won’t damage anything. I remember using it quite a bit on this job. Get you’re self a little propane torch if you don’t have one and heat that bolt up. Heat is your friend.

Thanks all for the advice here. Really helpful. In the end, I did get the pins out, but not without totally screwing up the threads on the pins.

So, i've order new pins from SOR and will be back up and running once they arrive tomorrow. $50 lesson learned.

Thanks again for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom