Older than dirt - refreshing a ‘64 FJ40 FST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

... As I have been told, leave something for the next owner to do.

Going to be out of town for a few days next week, will do some more driving to make sure there are no new surprises, and then lay plans to sell it.

img_1392-jpg.1813048
Well gee, you took away the flipping of the bezel. So you mind as well leave them the horn button. There's a '65 FST on fleabay now, but yours is a superior restoration. Theirs has orange bib lights, and wrong this, wrong that.
Somebody lucky is going to get your rig.

Last edited:
You sell it too fast we might miss our beers n cheers... :)

Foreign world to me, work on something like this, with this effort (you and many others like @ClemsonCruiser) and then sell it. This is another top X build (I won't specifiy X so I don't offend anyone) - but top shelf for sure. I had a Porsche once (944), couldn't drive it like it needs to be driven anywhere. Sold it for a brand new '97 FJ80 back in 97 (duh). Still have it, 275K+ miles. I can drive my beater tractor FJXX cruiser's in the hills around the ranch all I want and how they're suppose to be driven, slow and in low. GLWS, and look forward to the next one :p

Foreign world to me, work on something like this, with this effort (you and many others like @ClemsonCruiser) and then sell it.
I totally understand that not everyone will 'get' what I do. To me, the big fun is in learning a vehicle top to bottom, and rescuing neglected cars & trucks, bringing them back to what they once were. I understand the attraction of these rigs even better now than I did before. But I need to do more, and I can't do the next vehicle until this one is gone. That's just how I am.

Just like other vehicles I've done before, I'd be happy to do another 40, if the right candidate came up. Might not do it the same next time. We'll see after this one is gone.

The grommet I was waiting for arrived at the local dealer while I was out of town, it has been installed now. I've experimented with a couple higher power LEDs for the high beam indicator with only limited success. Still considering that issue. Will do a compression test on it tomorrow, not because I am looking for problems, but just so I can disclose the results to potential buyers.

This is another top X build (I won't specifiy X so I don't offend anyone) - but top shelf for sure.
Thanks for this compliment! In my own mind, 'X' in this case is not a super small number. I was not shooting for something as nice as some of the others I've seen here, such as ClemsonCruiser's 45, or Destin's '64 FST, as examples. If you look at mine closely, it was not finished to that level.

Intentionally.

As I have said before, I didn't want to make it so nice that someone would be afraid to drive or use it, but nice enough that it will attract attention and look great. I think I've achieved that, but only time will tell in the end.

One of my goals was to retain the original character and details unique to the early examples. Things like the period correct paint color, body-colored bumperettes and turn signals (I would have preferred pewter), Vader light, pintle hitch, tin cup masters, reflective sill sticker, and clear bib lights. I think I was fairly successful on that front.

There were places that I deviated for one reason or another. The most obvious is the use of later-style JIS hardware which I left unpainted. I would have preferred to use new early-style hardware, but it is not readily available. And I left it unpainted to facilitate future maintenance. Intentional decision.

In the end, I'm pleased with the result, and how well it matches my original vision for this rig. Soon we will see if the vision is appreciated and shared by potential buyers.

I think it is safe to say you have found the bottom of the rabbit hole! Your chances of seeing daylight again are now much more certain.
Mark wrote that on July 31. I believe I can now say I have crawled all the way out of the rabbit hole, and am looking over the meadow to decide where to go next.

Time for some credits.

Thanks to the following Mud members (in no particular order) for their help, parts, advice, knowledge, moral support and general encouragement.

@whitey45
@pardion
@69LC
@HelloKitty65
@Coolerman
@little_joe
@upperblack
@landcrusher909
@Awl_TEQ
@derail
@White Stripe
@thecrazygreek
@middlecalf
@nuclearlemon
@bb67tlc
@hdjtachtig
@cppilot
@wscbill
@63cruiser
@daner
@JackA
@daniel.watters
@ClemsonCruiser
@red66toy

And the following vendors were instrumental in making this rig complete.

City Racer LLC - @Racer65
Mark's Off Road - @65swb45
Cruiser Corps - @Cruiser Corps
FJparts.com
Seatbelt Planet
Cool Cruisers of Texas
Specter Off Road
CruiserYard - @arcteryx
Real Steel
Sigfrid & Sons
Overland Metric - @davework
JT Outfitters
J&A Sewing - @Julie2006 (tops formerly sold through @Trollhole )
Cruiser Outfitters - @cruiseroutfit
Genesis 4X4 - @cruiserloser

DSC_1934.jpg

Last edited:
Late addition, thanks to @derail

The missing heater vent door is missing no longer. That means the only missing part left is the rear trailer light socket. I did wire for that part when I re-did the rear harness, so adding it to the rig will be simple some day if someone finds the correct part.

IMG_1418.jpg

Gonna have to get this thing sold soon, I can't seem to stop. ETA on the auction opening is around the 21st, then 7 days to closing.

In the meanwhile, I have decided that the door window plexiglass and wing window rubber is not good enough, and have ordered new replacements.

Many thanks to Dave (@cruiserloser, Genesis 4x4) for quick shipping of some really nice product. New plexiglas for the soft doors and new rubber for the wing windows. All installed today, and man do they look good. Crystal clear now, not cloudy, scratched, etc. A really nice last addition to the rig.

Hard to see the improved clarity in pictures, but the quality of the rubber seals can be seen.

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1431.jpg

Super nice '40! Way to go! Very inspiring!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom