Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'FJ25 Owners Group' started by oregon fj, Nov 27, 2017.
youll still have to pry it in (it won't slide), but it will go in much easier
Was hoping not to have to pry it in. I've been able to slide it thus far, but that isn't going to continue. If I have to pry it, no reason to hunt down the food grade stuff, the gummi-pflege should be fine.
One down, one to go...
Thanks to @nuclearlemon for clarifying that I couldn't slide the weatherstripping in.
that looks seriously sexy
Let me know if you need one. I bought 4 in case I needed an extra or two for future projects.
Both doors hung now. Mostly pleased, but not satisfied with the window channel felt from SOR. Much too thin, the old, tattered original was thicker than the new from SOR. May have to buy some bulk felt and make my own.
Had to jump start it this afternoon. Generator isn't generating adequately. Not yet sure if the issue is the generator or the regulator. More testing on tap.
Bouncing the suspension a bit, seems good with the new bushings.
I've also got 3 on the wait list now for sill stickers. When we get to 7 I can start a new batch.
How is the leaning to the left side?
Seems to be lessened. I'm ignoring it for now.
Edit - went out and measured it just now. Looks to be not quite an inch (25mm) lower on the left front, at the frame. Rear is only off by 1/4" (6mm) or so.
Still ignoring it for now.
I grieved the loss of your patina when you painted the PTO winch.
But I'm completely over that now. Looks great.
My original plan was to retain some patina. But when doing a cosmetic refresh there is a point where things that had "patina" suddenly look "unfinished" and "out of place". I'm well past that point now. Not saying everything needs to look new, but clean and spiffed up some at least. Much like what I did with the frame and running gear.
The top is now complete, the grommets for the twist-locks are in place.
Generator & regulator are still waiting in line at the electrical shop. Hope to know more in a business day or two.
Will start on the horns later today, may drain the coolant and plumb the heater over the weekend. But can't finish that job until I get the generator back.
Horns are cleaned up, mounted and tested. All good there.
Generator had a sloppy bearing which had worn the commutator where the brushes ride. Much of the electricity generated was sparking away to never-never-land. $35 for a new bearing and having the commutator turned on the lathe. Will get that all back in place soon.
Charging system back in place, and working well. Took the little battery tender 3 days to bring the battery back. Starter cranks faster than I ever recall now, so the battery has been low for a while. Charge indicator light (remember that this truck predates the addition of oil pressure gauge and ammeter by a couple of months) goes out immediately now, not even a feeble glow at idle.
Coolant flush and heater hook up are next.
Heater is plumbed (correctly this time, the PO's method was less than impressive), and works.
Took it out for some errands, got it fully up to temp, all good. Brought it back home and started draining the oil, as I decided to give one more change to make certain everything is clean inside.
Next will be to install cable, chain and hook on the winch. Should be tomorrow, one of the errands today was to stop by the timber rigging supply shop to get the assembly built. Should be ready late today.
And now, the winch is functional again. Who knows how many years (decades?) since it last was useable?
Bought and fitted the rubber mat material today. With the exception of the firewall grommet coming from Toyota later this week, I think I am done with new parts!!
Still debating what to do with the steering wheel. I could send it off for restoration, or I can lightly clean it up and leave it for a future owner to make his/her own decision. Still waffling on this.
Pictures of the mats in place, plus a gratuitous picture of the engine bay, which I don't think I've posted since paint.
I'm going to say that the project is now essentially complete. Waiting on a single last firewall grommet, and a bit of cleaning and touchup. Everything works as it should—lights, brakes, horns, gauges, wipers, all of it. I'm not going to restore the steering wheel, but will smooth it up and improve it a bit. As I have been told, leave something for the next owner to do.
Going to be out of town for a few days next week, will do some more driving to make sure there are no new surprises, and then lay plans to sell it.
looking good, you really did a lot of work in a short time