Older than dirt - refreshing a ‘64 FJ40 FST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Windshield installed today. Wiper motors and arms fitted (but not wired yet). Inside mirror refitted. Winch reinstalled. Then I finally fitted the top!! (No grommets or holes for twist-locks yet.) Starting to install the spare carrier (not shown yet).

Really pleased so far.

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg

Looking really good.
When im finished with my 64, we need to meet up and have a :beer:

And I'm having second thoughts on buying one of your rear sill stickers. It actually looks really good.

Looking really good.
When im finished with my 64, we need to meet up and have a :beer:

I'm up for that, Angelo. We could meet in Corvallis at Flat Tail Brewing, then look for a nearby unpaved road or trail for some pics.

And I'm having second thoughts on buying one of your rear sill stickers. It actually looks really good.
If you want me to put you on the wait list, send me a PM.

I'd like to join you. I have a '64. Lived in Corvallis for years.

Well, considering the effort I put into having these made in the correct size and with proper reflective material, I'm sure I'm biased. But to me, those sill stickers are one of the important details of a '64-65 FJ40. To the uninformed they probably just look like a cheap alternative to the real emblems used later. But it was a unique first step in branding. I'm glad that I could help provide a detail that could have been lost in another 10-20 years.

Last edited:
Hey there,
What rear reflectors did you go with? I have my originals, (i think) but they are shot...

@thecrazygreek - The Stratolites I used fit the holes in the tub for the originals. There is another thread or two somewhere on the early reflectors, which basically came to the conclusion that there were more than one brand of reflectors used on early 40s. Many for the early rigs were not Japanese made, but US parts sourced at the ports.

I don't think the ones you show from CCOT were used on the sides of the tub until '68.

Edit - I went through some pictures I've saved. The reflectors you linked look like they may have been used on '61-62 40s. But by '64 many looked like the ones I have.

IMG_0467.jpg

Last edited:
Wipers are now wired and tested. They work nicely. Or at least, as nicely as those wimpy things ever worked.

Have the tub-side door hinge halves mounted but not tightened. Will probably start reassembling the doors tomorrow. Not looking forward to gluing up the door skin, I hate that type of stuff.

Checklist time. Will edit as I pick away at this stuff.
  • Assemble and install doors - 10/9/18
  • Fix charging system - 10/13/18
  • Refresh and install both original horns - 10/12/18
  • Final cooling system flush, hook heater into system, install fresh coolant - 10/15/18
  • Install grommets for twist-locks on top sides - 10/12/18
  • Acquire and install new winch cable, chain & hook - 10/16/18
  • Smooth and dress steering wheel - 10/19/18
  • Make floor mats for both floorboards and bed - 10/17/18
  • Clean, and final touch ups

Last edited:
Spent the better part of the afternoon on the left door. Applying the fabric went quite well. Getting the new weatherstrip into the channel less so. Not quite 2/3 done on that now. Hard on the fingers...

IMG_1369 (1).jpg

food grade silicone spray will get the rubber in the channel easier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom