Oil Question?? Castrol Syntec or Not (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nothing wrong with the regular Rotella AFAIK, just that it's not been talked about as anything special. Rotella T synth on the other hand, used to be a screaming deal considering its quality base stock. It's price has crept up a bit but I think it's still an excellent value.

As for miles on synthetic oil, I had my oil evaluated by Blackstone Labs at 6k or so and they felt I could have kept it in until a ways pas 9000 miles before changing. I'm not the type to do so, but that could make synthetic more economically viable for some.

DougM

So If I were to use Sythetic Oil and a good oil filter, I can change the oil every 5,000 miles instead of 3000 miles. If that is so then it lowers the cost of the oil in the long run. Thanks Everyone Jason

You don't need synthetic to go 5k miles between intervals :meh:

I personally change mine every 3k using Toyota 10w-30 dino, however, I let it go longer for BlackStone reports :cool:

Here's my last report @ 5,500 miles:

FZJ80BlackStoneReport2.jpg

It's always a good idea to use one brand of oil and stick with it :meh:

Reason being many brands use different additives that don't always mix well and may eventually cause sludge :doh:

If you choose to stay with Castrol Syntec, go with the German made stuff (GC) as it's the only true pure base Castrol synthetic (the American made stuff isn't)

GC_M06152_Front.jpg
GC_M06152_Rear.jpg

That being said, pretty much anything on the shelf will easily surpass Toyota's standard intervals, so there's no need to beat yourself up over it :eek:

The Rotella 5W-40 synthetic is what I've used in everything (diesels and gasers) for the past 5 years in -60 below zero to 85 above and Blackstone always says I should extend intervals to 5k. Not going to happen, but it's good know that the oil is on top of significant wear.

TK

I changed the oil on my truck to 10w-30 Superguard oil from Walmart when I bought the truck with 113k miles on it, it now has 183k miles on it and seems to run pretty good. Do I need to change the oil or can I keep running it? I though the Superguard because of its name could be run forever like the coolant, is that not correct?

Look up my last Blackstone report. I use Chevron Delo 400 15w40 at 4500 intervals. I get it for $9 and change a gallon at Costco. Very economical and my report shows it's a great oil for my motor.

My .02

I changed the oil on my truck to 10w-30 Superguard oil from Walmart when I bought the truck with 113k miles on it, it now has 183k miles on it and seems to run pretty good. Do I need to change the oil or can I keep running it? I though the Superguard because of its name could be run forever like the coolant, is that not correct?

:popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom