Castrol VMX-M appears discontinued .... Suggestions on gear oil for manual boxes and transfer cases? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm using VMX-M but it looks like it's no longer made as it's NLA from most auto parts stores here now. I last bought some a year ago for a gearbox and transfer case oil change.

Seems VMX-80W is the replacement product?

I know it's not the only suitable gear oil out there so what other suggestions are there?

Ta I know of MT-90 - is it available in Australia or does it need to be imported from a US seller?

I believe the gear oil for any sort of older landcruiser needs to be the GL-4 type not GL-5?

Is MT-90 good for the transfer case as well?

Ive been using the Penrite one on the right for as long as I can remember in my Xfer case with no probs

1697764333647.png

Trying to get some leftover stock of VMX-M so I can at least do one more oil change with that, but failing that I'm curious about Redline MT-90 as I've not seen in recommended for 4wd's but have seen it recommended for cars with manual boxes.

What's the real-world view of GL-4 alternatives in H150F and H151F boxes and in the mating transfer cases for 80's?

Tried the Nulon Slick shift additive? My Corolla has a dodgy 2-3 syncro and it really helps it.

(i know the VMX-M is the prefered option but this could help)

Nearly every mechanic I've dealt with in relation to the 80 in my time owning it has recommended that gear oil, but I know there are loads of GL-4 spec oil products.

Redline Synthetic MT-90 has worked well in all of my Toyota manual transmissions. I typically use their 75W90 in the transfer cases but I understand that MT-90 is fine for that application. Not sure how easy it is to get Redline Synthetic Downunder.

There's a place on Ebay here that sells MT-90 for A$131 per gallon (3.8 litres) but some places on Ebay are selling it up for around (and over) A$200 a gallon! Is it really worth that sort of price? I haven't come across an actual auto parts place that stocks it in a retail store.

There's a place on Ebay here that sells MT-90 for A$131 per gallon (3.8 litres) but some places on Ebay are selling it up for around (and over) A$200 a gallon! Is it really worth that sort of price? I haven't come across an actual auto parts place that stocks it in a retail store.

Seems to be about the going price across several online sources on Australia.

Ebay still has Castrol vmx-m available at half the price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom