Oil change rookie mistake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I changed the oil on my ‘84 Fj60 yesterday. Believe it or not, this is the first time I have ever changed the oil in any car. Not to pass the buck or anything but the Haynes manual neglected to say anything about replacing the drain plug crush washer (same in FSM, FWIW). So I reused the crush washer, and now a little oil is seeping out down there. I’ve been thinking through my options and figured I’d see what you all thought.

Cheap/easy option: Leave it, keep an eye on the oil level, top off as needed.

Less-cheap/annoying option: Drain it and redo the oil change with fresh crush washer. (I did opt for some very nice LiquiMoly oil.)

Sketchy option: Put a bead of hi-temp silicone or similar around the edge of the drain bolt in hopes that it’ll stop the seep.

Thanks!

Don’t worry about it unless it’s dripping good. You could try to tighten just a bit more but don’t strip the threads. In all the years I changed my oil I never changed the crush washer and had no problems.

As Clint Eastwood would say "Do you feel Lucky" So what happens if the crush washer has a small hairline crack and it finally busts apart while you are out and about. Now you have large amounts of oil seeping out. You will have to figure out your comfort level.

Do you have a garage or is this outdoors? If you have a clean environment and use a super clean drain pan you could drain it and reuse the oil. We did this occasionally in a race shop I worked at with no ill effects.

Ha! It’s cranked down as tight as I dare. Didn’t notice a crack on the old washer, but who knows. No garage, unfortunately. I thought about reusing the oil but that seemed like a huge mess waiting to happen.

I too use the same washer many times w/o changing. Wouldn’t give it a 2nd thought.

i use the same as well without problems or leaks. One time I forgot to put it on and found it after I had finished. I took the drain plug out and quickly put my finger over the hole and put the washer one and quickly put the plug back in. Just lost a little but didnt have to drain it all out....no biggie. Just be quick. If you have a helper hand him the plug to put the new washer on and hand back to you. Makes it a bit easer.

For the guys that do change out the crush washer...where did you get them. I would probably change mine out each time if I knew....

^^^

Comes with the OEM oil filter...inside the box.

i use the same as well without problems or leaks. One time I forgot to put it on and found it after I had finished. I took the drain plug out and quickly put my finger over the hole and put the washer one and quickly put the plug back in. Just lost a little but didnt have to drain it all out....no biggie. Just be quick. If you have a helper hand him the plug to put the new washer on and hand back to you. Makes it a bit easer.
Interesting idea... do you think it would help if I had the truck parked on a bit of an incline with the front end downhill so the oil is slightly forward in the pan? Also maybe do it with a cold engine so it doesn’t flow as fast?

Interesting idea... do you think it would help if I had the truck parked on a bit of an incline with the front end downhill so the oil is slightly forward in the pan? Also maybe do it with a cold engine so it doesn’t flow as fast?
You're in Boulder?

Just drive over to @LukisStyles house and do it in his driveway while he's at work.

I mean it couldnt hurt! :D

You picked an excellent vehicle to learn on. They are simple and there is a wealth of knowledge and helpful people here. Live and learn. I found the Haynes manual of limited use, especially after I got the FSM. And that was 30+ years ago.

And I found this in the FSM:
1597506530857.png

I too have never replaced my crush washer ever. I always wipe the plug/washer and the surface on the oil pan and never use more than a 3/8 ratchet and one hand to install it. It's just a drain plug, it doesn't hold the engine together.

DON'T Tighten the plug any more - It can damage the threads or distort the opening. I reuse the crush washer too, but put a small smear of RTV on the drain plug before installing. Never a leak.

Spray some brake cleaner around the plug then try the RTV. Otherwise, just top off as needed. Don't drain and reuse the oil, you'll introduce microscopic dirt even trying to keep everything clean.

What Liqui Moly did you use ?

As an owner of several old english motorcycles with REALLY odd sized copper drain plug washers: The old biker's trick is to anneal the copper washer by heating it to red heat (propane torch, gas range, ...) and cooling before reuse. This softens the metal and allows it to seal like a fresh washer. Do NOT try this with aluminum. I would never reuse an aluminum washer...they are very prone to splitting on reuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom