Oil change rookie mistake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I try to plan it so that it pointed up hill and to drain it cold. I figure letting all the oil drain into the pan overnight is slightly better than warming it up a bit and having to wait for the oil to drain down from the valve cover etc. Besides, playing "hot potato" with your drain plug usually results in dropping it in the drain pan or in the dirt. The part I would like to do better is getting the filter off without making a mess on the front diff.
Has anybody tried stabbing the top of the filter to see if that drains the oil out better?

Last edited:
I used this stuff, per recommendation from a friend who knows his stuff: Amazon product ASIN B076ZQ4KDK
The old crush washer is definitely on there. I did clean it, the drain plug, and the area around the drain hole.

I reckon I’ll try to drive it a bit and see if the heat changes anything... maybe stuff will expand a little or something. Might also try cracking the bolt loose and re-tightening to see if it gets a better seal. Last resort would be either the RTV seal or the crush washer switcheroo. By the way, excuse my ignorance but what is RTV?

Thanks for all the replies! Did not expect so many for this silly question.
RTV is the devil!

Do you have a garage or is this outdoors? If you have a clean environment and use a super clean drain pan you could drain it and reuse the oil. We did this occasionally in a race shop I worked at with no ill effects.
I’ve done that a dozen times. Even outside. Just put a filter in the cone before you refil to catch the leaves and whatnot.

I try to plan it so that it pointed up hill and to drain it cold. I figure letting all the oil drain into the pan overnight is slightly better than warming it up a bit and having to wait for the oil to drain down from the valve cover etc. Besides, playing "hot potato" with your drain plug usually results in dropping it in the drain pan or in the dirt. The part I would like to do better is getting the filter off without making a mess on the front diff.
Has anybody tried stabbing the top of the filter to see if that drains the oil out better?
If you take the filler cap off and give it plenty of time to drain the filter is usually empty. I throw a few shop rags on the axle and work quick. I don’t have many problems these days. When I first got this truck it was a pita.

Chucked some Rislone ZDDP in the oil today. Can’t hurt!

One of the reasons zincs went to reduced amounts in gasoline engine oil was due to the onset of catalytic converters. High amounts of zinc, and zddp damage the catalytic converter. This is in a long term scenario, your one bottle will not be an issue.

This isn’t a big deal if you don’t live in an area with emission testing, but if you do, you’ll be looking for all of the catalytic efficiency you can find - just something to keep in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom