Official ONSC Member Rigs Thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It sat for months at a time without being driven since being replaced by an 80. No ac and not a lot of room for family on wheeling trips was main reason. Needed some mechanical work also, traded it to a Toyota mechanic so was a trade of convenience and I got a nice daily driver out of it.

Last edited:
I can relate to the 4RNR. I had an 88, loved the truck but it was just tiny. I had to fold myself in half to get in and out. Sure was fun to drive though, like a go kart.

21ED6BD5-CCF8-49AD-8378-57542316D9F3.jpeg

Love me some 1st Gen 4Runners too !! Krawler Kevlar TAs, Homebuilt bumpers,sliders and exo, built the cage so the top could slide out Off of the back. Integrated the roof rack into the exocage.

Not bad for 283k miles and 20 years old. Oldest daughters 100. New bfg at’s. 265/75 r 16. 😎

7E0F5C67-FE2A-4178-BD84-421E24E977C2.jpeg

FB77374E-4DB9-40A5-B516-1624F32E94E3.jpeg

Hey y’all

Wanted to share my rig! 88 FJ62 with 294k miles. I’ve had it for roughly a year now, but just recently had to give it a little love.

2.5” OME heavy (planning on throwing some armor and a pop up on it), 15” steel wheels, and some mean looking KO2s.

The wife and I just drove it up to Asheville for some fun...which was an experience to say the least😂. Going through Old Fort on 40 was an effort.

4F81B17E-D2B3-40A4-891B-1B719C4C98C9.jpeg

187F152B-F2DA-4A7F-B8C8-BD614DC991F6.jpeg

A78F3455-07FB-48EB-8E01-5B581B47B18D.jpeg

459F8FBE-7285-48A1-B611-9033AF1F7FF4.jpeg

Nice looking truck! Like the hub caps.
"Going through Old Fort on 40 was an effort."

I know a cure for that :)

Nice looking truck! Like the hub caps.
"Going through Old Fort on 40 was an effort."

I know a cure for that :)

Thank you! Really happy with how it tuned out.
Do tell what that cure is, and more importantly, how much damage it’ll do to the wallet.

@mrgollih I saw you in the neighborhood - I was in a white 100 with arb and snorkel. Your 62 looks great. I will let them explain the cure. :<)

snork (2).JPG

Yes sir.

77FB0237-B9E6-4224-8B6F-780ACBA2F51B.jpeg

A question for anyone that knows. I have an 85 FJ 60 with a nearly dead 2F. I hope to move to NC in the near future. Do I understand correctly that a GM engine conversion is legal and can be operated on public streets?

A question for anyone that knows. I have an 85 FJ 60 with a nearly dead 2F. I hope to move to NC in the near future. Do I understand correctly that a GM engine conversion is legal and can be operated on public streets?

It should be, yes. In NC, there is a "tampering inspection" part of the vehicle safety inspection, where they check for things like a catalytic converter. I'm not sure how that changes when you change to a different gas engine, if they'll look for the same things. Diesel conversions are dead simple from a registration/inspection perspective though.

Never had a problem or a second look from inspectors on anything pre 1995. Only reason why anything that new gets a second look is because they actually have to hook it up for the sniff test and match up your VIN on the ECU..
Anything without OBD2 gets a visual 'safety' inspection (horn, signals, lights) and sold a set of wipers you didn't need for $25 each..... ;)

It should be, yes. In NC, there is a "tampering inspection" part of the vehicle safety inspection, where they check for things like a catalytic converter. I'm not sure how that changes when you change to a different gas engine, if they'll look for the same things. Diesel conversions are dead simple from a registration/inspection perspective though.
Thank you.

Never had a problem or a second look from inspectors on anything pre 1995. Only reason why anything that new gets a second look is because they actually have to hook it up for the sniff test and match up your VIN on the ECU..
Anything without OBD2 gets a visual 'safety' inspection (horn, signals, lights) and sold a set of wipers you didn't need for $25 each..... ;)
All the more reason to move! Thanks.

I have swapped a few trucks that live in NC, no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom