Official ONSC Member Rigs Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And 20+ years is the cut off for emissions.

Yes, but they still have a "tampering inspection" to make sure original equipped emissions equipment is there. This means yes, you need a catalytic converter in a stock 87 60 to pass nc state inspection.

Yes, but they still have a "tampering inspection" to make sure original equipped emissions equipment is there. This means yes, you need a catalytic converter in a stock 87 60 to pass nc state inspection.

What about smog pump and such? LONG ago I was failed for a missing smog pump system on my 40. Not sure if that was equipped on a 60 or not.

What about smog pump and such? LONG ago I was failed for a missing smog pump system on my 40. Not sure if that was equipped on a 60 or not.

A 60 is just a larger, slower 40. Same engine/trans and lots of other stuff as a late 40. Yes, they had smog pumps, and failing NC inspection because mine was desmogged was the push I needed to do the diesel swap.

EDIT: The reason a diesel swap matters in this scenario is because in '87 (and earlier I assume), diesel equipped vehicles had no emissions equipment, so all "tampering inspection" emissions items no longer applied. Converting to diesel, and changing the registration over to diesel, changes the safety inspection requirements, which means I no longer need a smog pump, or catalytic converter, etc to pass.

Last edited:
Yep, the way I understand it, visually it's suppose to match and have everything it had from the factory.
*Plugged vacuum line = fail
*no belt on smog pump = fail
*dual exhaust when factory only had single = fail

but, most places don't check that close and if it looks factory and there's even a shell of a cat there it should be OK. This is why I cringe every time I hear people doing a de-smog. Still need those parts around to pass a strict inspection.

I had a guy that would pass almost anything if you knew him. I even saw a tailpipe sniffer (old requirement) in the tailpipe of a different car than the one being tested. It was great. He passed away. Now I'm glad my stuff is stock and I'm past the 20 year mark.

Yep, the way I understand it, visually it's suppose to match and have everything it had from the factory.
*Plugged vacuum line = fail
*no belt on smog pump = fail
*dual exhaust when factory only had single = fail

but, most places don't check that close and if it looks factory and there's even a shell of a cat there it should be OK. This is why I cringe every time I hear people doing a de-smog. Still need those parts around to pass a strict inspection.

I had a guy that would pass almost anything if you knew him. I even saw a tailpipe sniffer (old requirement) in the tailpipe of a different car than the one being tested. It was great. He passed away. Now I'm glad my stuff is stock and I'm past the 20 year mark.

Now the DOT / DMV (not sure which) has agents that will go out and spy from "across the street" or the shop's parking lot, etc. and check that the vehicles are going on the lift for the proper checks, plugging into the the right car's ODB, etc etc. Shop can get in hot water over this stuff. Growing up, our inspection was 10 bucks and they peeled the old sticker and applied the new one. Literally all they did.

My old trucks don’t require inspection anymore. I very cleanly deleted the EGR and PAIR on my ‘94 80 and I’ve never had an issue with inspection. I fully believe that I could get away with removing the cats. The only thing that keeps me from doing that is not wanting to smell another cat-less exhaust. The shop that does my inspections is very good to deal with and they know me, so that makes a difference too.

Finally got dues in and registration complete. Looking forward to meeting some folks and getting some insight into restoring my 62.

PB110159.jpg

There are plenty of people in the club with experience with the 62 series that can help you. Let me know if there is anything I can help with, I've built one or two.

There are plenty of people in the club with experience with the 62 series that can help you. Let me know if there is anything I can help with, I've built one or two.
I'd appreciate insight for sure. I've baselined the mechanicals in the year or two I've owned it and I think it's stable enough to begin the bodywork phase. Should I start a build thread?

Sure, that's a great place to bounce ideas off others as well.

Not sure what is happening however a friend just sold a 8 out of 10 1999 LC with a broken sunroof for 13k. It has 217k miles. If you are thinking of selling a 100, now may be a good time. The buyer is flying in from TN and it was sold on FB marketplace.

Inspections? I registered the 1988 celica alltrac with no inspection at all. No one looked at it. It does have an antique plate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom