Official FRIDGE Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Summer is upon us shortly so time to Fire up those grills and Chill those Fridges! Lets see what everyone is running!
This is what I went with and can't t wait to fill her up! 😁

Screenshot_20210529-103231~2.png

Last edited:
Sorry, fairly new to posting but long time lurker. Did not realize till after the fact. Actually I am just interested in seeing 100 series Fridge setups so it fits.
Personally, the forum is too huge for me to keep up with so I only check this section. I almost never check anything other than the 100 section. Provided whatever accessory you are discussing is installed or used on a 100, I'm hoping to see it here. That may not be the intended rules, but that's how the forum is most usable for me. 🤷

SupraX- There are so many good threads, builds, chitchat going on simultaneously- you’re missing out on some great content-

Tap the little ⚡️ Icon next to the search icon and it’ll load latest threads-

SupraX- There are so many good threads, builds, chitchat going on simultaneously- you’re missing out on some great content-

Tap the little ⚡️ Icon next to the search icon and it’ll load latest threads-
I agree I'm missing stuff, but it's inevitable. I already spend too much time on here, haha.

Fridges: I've lived a season with an ARB 50 quart. Love it. It's just huge. I'm hoping to get a drawer fridge under the SS1 this summer and try that out. Drop slides are also of interest to me. Those big fridges become much more usable with a good drop slide.

Personally, the forum is too huge for me to keep up with so I only check this section. I almost never check anything other than the 100 section. Provided whatever accessory you are discussing is installed or used on a 100, I'm hoping to see it here. That may not be the intended rules, but that's how the forum is most usable for me. 🤷
Thank you, I too only use this forum.

Nice work getting the thread title updated.👍

I keep my 63qt on a platform where the second row seats were. Originally intended to install it just for trips- but it’s been pretty useful so it’s turned into a permanent install.

We bought a 2nd hand 60L Engel about 7yrs ago and a 2nd hand MSA drop slide not long after, fits very nicely on the drawers even with a cargo barrier and is very functional, people are always commenting how much they like the setup.....and for us it's definitely been one of the best mods we've done!

As good as it is though, there are some drawbacks and probably worth mentioning even if it seems obvious:

1) The drop-slide is very heavy at 36kg, and together with a loaded fridge it can be difficult to operate if you're not confident or lacking strength. Especially if the car is lifted....just ask my wife :)

2) The fridge slide needs to be fixed to the drawers so unless you move it across and lose even more room, the mounted drop-slide will prevent quick access to the wing area. We have our compressor and receiver mounted in there along with some electrics so not a real issue, but I did once or twice have the air-fitting jam open and it was a pain to remedy without access to the wing area.

3) You lose quite a bit of room in the back of the wagon, so we made some plywood lids for the drawers which pack nicely either on or alongside the fridge.

4) Not sure about others but our MSA behaves differently depending on the weight of the packed fridge so if you start with it fully packed, it 'drops' quite easily and if you're not ready for it the potential to catch you or your fingers with a nasty pinch is always a worry (mainly) for people not familiar with it. Once it becomes lighter / emptier, it can take a bit of force to make it 'drop'....not a problem if you're familiar with it but can be a hazard if you're not expecting such resistance and then suddenly it goes.

5) Getting the drop-slide out when you need the space / flat surface can be a pain so we used some 316SS captivated-nuts to make it easier removing and installing the slide - it helps a lot!

b3DpG7c.jpg

AOpadHL.jpg

npk1Uvy.jpg

wDe4wtr.jpg

QABTn5N.jpg

Jf4RgSa.jpg

GLvrUud.jpg

XQmyPNc.jpg

Last edited:
We bought a 2nd hand 60L Engel about 7yrs ago and a 2nd hand MSA drop slide not long after, fits very nicely on the drawers even with a cargo barrier and is very functional, people are always commenting how much they like the setup.....and for us it's definitely been one of the best mods we've done!

As good as it is though, there are some drawbacks and probably worth mentioning even if it seems obvious:

1) The drop-slide is very heavy at 36kg, and together with a loaded fridge it can be difficult to operate if you're not confident or lacking strength. Especially if the car is lifted....just ask my wife :)

2) The fridge slide needs to be fixed to the drawers so unless you move it across and lose even more room, the mounted drop-slide will prevent quick access to the wing area. We have our compressor and receiver mounted in there along with some electrics so not a real issue, but I did once or twice have the air-fitting jam open and it was a pain to remedy without access to the wing area.

3) You lose quite a bit of room in the back of the wagon, so we made some plywood lids for the drawers which pack nicely either on or alongside the fridge.

4) Not sure about others but our MSA behaves differently depending on the weight of the packed fridge so if you start with it fully packed, it 'drops' quite easily and if you're not ready for it the potential to catch you or your fingers with a nasty pinch is always a worry (mainly) for people not familiar with it. Once it becomes lighter / emptier, it can take a bit of force to make it 'drop'....not a problem if you're familiar with it but can be a hazard if you're not expecting such resistance and then suddenly it goes.

5) Getting the drop-slide out when you need the space / flat surface can be a pain so we used some 316SS captivated-nuts to make it easier removing and installing the slide - it helps a lot!

b3DpG7c.jpg

AOpadHL.jpg

npk1Uvy.jpg

wDe4wtr.jpg

QABTn5N.jpg

Jf4RgSa.jpg

GLvrUud.jpg

XQmyPNc.jpg
Yes, that drop slide dilemma. I was trying to solve a lot of that with my prototype last year and suffice to say it's a tall order. A drop slide seems somewhat simple, but it's no joke. There's a lot going on it's tough to make something robust enough to handle a fully loaded fridge without the apparatus weighing more than the fridge. I'm still hoping I can come up with some sort of self-load-equalizing mechanism, but getting around existing patents and making something that's not ungodly expensive and heavy... oof. May never happen.

Awesome to see yours in action though.

For your wing access trouble, can you not just pull the fridge out and down while you work under the wing?

....for your wing access trouble, can you not just pull the fridge out and down while you work under the wing?

Unfortunately not that I can see......the problem is that the assembly is quite large, we have it mounted as far left as possible to save space, even if we didn't put fasteners through the wing panel it's still not possible to open with the frame on top. The only way I can see that it would be possible is if the whole assembly was shifted further to the right and not covering the wing panels at all.....but that would mean it would be sitting quite some ways over to the middle and for us that was too costly an option in terms of space.

In the position that we have it mounted, as far left as possible, it neatly occupies exactly half of the cargo area, which also means we can still use the built-in fridge slide on the right for other heavy stuff. But with the captivated nuts it does make it much easier to remove the frame when needed, which in our case is probably not even once a year.

qqwWwlb.jpg

oyE5bY6.jpg

g0BrrwN.jpg

Are you guys pulling your power for refers from the power socket on the side of the cargo compartment? Just read the thread about the fuseable links and I wonder if any issues arise from use of the refers back there.

Are you guys pulling your power for refers from the power socket on the side of the cargo compartment? Just read the thread about the fuseable links and I wonder if any issues arise from use of the refers back there.
That is what I do with no issues.

I would run at least a fused 8 awg wire from the battery. The wires on the 12v socket in the back of the 100 are pretty thin, no way are they appropriate for that kind of load. Here are the dometic recommendations for my small cf-18

dometic awg.png

Last edited:
I don't have any pictures handy, but I've had dive summers now with my Indel B TB51 fridge. It's pretty efficient, I can have it running for a couple of days without worrying about my battery getting low. Plus it's a value proposition for me, I believe it only cost me about $560 or something along those lines. Downside to the Indel B and similar designs is height/depth. The TB51 has a lot of space, but it's mostly vertical space. The next size down is the TB40, and the footprint is the same, it's just not as tall. If I were doing it again, I'd either get a wider, lower fridge or stick to the smaller version.

BUT! Performance has been great. It's been super reliable and does it's job well. It's nice and quiet too. Highly recommend it.

Iceco dual zone 60 qt with a cover. I got it with free 2 day shipping for $758 to my door with a coupon I googled. it’s got a DanFoss compressor with a 5 year warranty and it’s heavy as heck. 72 lb shipping weight.

I can’t wait to try it out at Solid axle summit

5B05745B-E52E-4FF5-87E5-1A9A1484AAC3.jpeg

F78714B3-0A1F-4C38-A835-0E84B7D45651.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom