TLCA Official 25th Rubithon Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great summary Pete.

RTF has a link to Jesse Combs and company doing the Rubicon during last year's Jeeper's Jamboree.

http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Direct link to Jesse's new show and the video:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/11/the-list-0004-conquer-the-rubicon-trail/

We usually get many "Can my rig make it" questions at this point in the planning. Some time ago I wrote the below narrative for a group that I was leading on the Rubicon. Thought I would share in case it helps anyone.

Can my rig make it through the Rubicon? That question is both easy and hard to answer at the same time. Almost any mild to moderate trail rig can “make it” to the end of the trail. The real questions are how hard will you have to work, what damage will you sustain, how many times will you get super stuck and delay others, and in the end will it be a good experience or a bad one.
If you have not done the trail, or similar hard trails before, it is difficult to know how you will react. Are you patient and cooperative? You need to be. Do you actually listen to a spotter and are you willing to accept help from others? I sure hope so.
Is your ego wrapped up in your rig and your success? Do you think that you know enough that you don’t need a pointer now and then? If so I will recommend a different run, one that I am not on.

There are many variations on how rigs are “set up” these days. Generally the bigger the tires, the lower the gears and the presence of lockers will make it easier. However, it is not correct to say that simply because a rig has these things, that it will be fine. A bad driver can have trouble with the best rig and a good driver can get most stock rigs down most trails.
The other sometimes serious issue with “built” rigs is the attention to the little things. Is the rest of the rig in good condition and properly maintained. Were the weak points that one modification created taken care of? Are the basics in good shape? I can’t count the number of times I have found myself with someone on the trail with what appears to be a “built” rig. Then we find out that the starter is acting up or the engine tends to overheat while crawling slowly. You can become “that guy” real fast in situations like this.

So you see the real answer is “it depends”. Is your rig set up with the traditional basic mods for this type of trail? Is it in good, no, is it in great shape otherwise. Are you prepared for vehicle damage? Some damage is probable and you have to accept the possibility that it could be worse. It happens to the best of us. Are you open minded and do you play well with others?
The best way to do a trail like Rubicon for the first time is with a group of people that have much more experience with the trail. With the right attitude it can be the best run you have ever been on.

Not trying to preach, just food for thought.

Keith -- Leave early Friday, and you may want to just drop in from Tahoma. This really isn't a Friday - Sunday type of run, which is why the event runs start on Tuesday. If you come in from Loon Lake side, you will really want to budget two days, but the Friday run is "straight through" and leaves at 7 AM, so be prepared to crash hard Friday night.

I've been on runs where we only get half way, and it's close to Midnight when we do make camp. I've also seen people fly through in 8 hours (or less). Just depends on luck, experience of the drivers, and breakage.

As for pointers - pack a lunch, you may have to eat on the fly. Go through your entire truck, tighten everything, and then tighten your knuckles at the trail head. Bring a good attitude.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the tips wooooody.
I've actually done the trail a few times, but this is my first EVENT run through.
Trying to get Friday off so I can meet up w/ a couple friends to catch the loon to springs run at 7 am.
Just not sure what to expect coming from that perspective.

Keith

Thanks for the tips wooooody.
I've actually done the trail a few times, but this is my first EVENT run through.
Trying to get Friday off so I can meet up w/ a couple friends to catch the loon to springs run at 7 am.
Just not sure what to expect coming from that perspective.

Keith

The 7am from Loon has not had anyone sign up as the trail leader. We do have one other person that needed to come in then. If you want, email me at chairman@rubithon.com and I can try to hook you guys up. You would need to leave by 7 and try to stay ahead of the Marlin sweeper run coming in behind you. Feel free to give me an email or you can call my cell tomorrow. 530-401-0800.

Thanks, Eric

Just signed up for the Wagon Run. To say I'm looking forward to this is an understatement!

Is there camping or cheap lodging near Loon? Where do most folks from out of town stay to make the early runs?

Last edited:
Just signed up for the Wagon Run. To say I'm looking forward to this is an understatement!

Is there camping or cheap lodging near Loon? Where do most folks from out of town stay to make the early runs?[/QUOTE

You should find camping at Loon Lake or on the granite just beyond the staging area below the dam near the loon lake. See you there, I will be on that run also.

Here is a link to the El Dorado National Forest recreation (Crystal Basin) area. It has a map of campgrounds and the Loon Lake Chalet, etc. There are dozens of campgrounds along the 30 mile paved road leading from hwy 50 to the Rubicon trail. Summer weekends are usually full, summer weekdays....lots of space.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev7_018787.pdf

Here is a link to the El Dorado National Forest recreation (Crystal Basin) area. It has a map of campgrounds and the Loon Lake Chalet, etc. There are dozens of campgrounds along the 30 mile paved road leading from hwy 50 to the Rubicon trail. Summer weekends are usually full, summer weekdays....lots of space.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev7_018787.pdf

Cool, thanks.

One more question - are there any services (water, trash, crapper) in Rubicon Springs, or is it BYO everything?

Thinking of finally doing this with my 55.

Sal, gotta do it on the Wagon run. I'll be on that run. We'll get you through.
(put an Aussie locker in the rear real quick-like, makes all the difference in the world.)

are there any services (water, trash, crapper) in Rubicon Springs, or is it BYO everything?

Running water, in the river...plenty crappers. Haul your own trash out.

How much snow on the trail now?

Very little and less everyday

Cool, thanks.

One more question - are there any services (water, trash, crapper) in Rubicon Springs, or is it BYO everything?

It's Pack it in, Pack it out! There is river water for bathing (please use biodegradable soap) multiple bathrooms in the springs, and that early in the year I can't speak on the conditions of the ones on the slabs and at Dirty Dozen. If anyone else has more knowledge of that it would be appreciated.

No trash! You will need to pack all your trash out! In everyone's goody bags, there are bailer bags you can bungy to your spare tire carrier if you don't already have one.

The environmentalist are definitely looking for trail users to mess up, so if you see someone that may not know better, give a friendly little trail etiquette talk :hmm:

Also on the goodie bags will be oil spill kits. I'm hoping to have some wag bags lined up as well.

Not only is this trip going to be a blast, it can be educational as well

Steve Morris will be giving talks about the history of the Springs on Friday and Saturday.

And there will be a Carb 101 class on Saturday after the breakfast. :popcorn:

Sent my$$$ should be a fun trip.

Just so everyone is aware, we had to make some adjustments to the way we have done the Marauder Bar in years past. This year we are requesting a $5 donation to the bar to offset the costs the hosting club. This is not a per drink thing, its a for the night thing. I'm sure everyone can understand the economic burden of buying all the beverages and ice for the night that sponsoring the bar entails.

In addition, anyone looking even possibly close to 21 will be ID'd![/B] The excuse of I left it in camp, or at home will not be accepted. I will remind everyone when we check in with registration to try to avoid any frustration with having to walk back to your camp site.

If you have any questions with this, please email me at chairman@rubithon.com.

Thanks, Eric

Also want to remind everyone that there will be a Wine Tasting Event to benefit the "Rubicon Trail Foundation".

As of right now we have 7 wineries that have donated wine and champagne. We have a gorgeous Magnum of Wine that is engraved for the 25th Anniversary Rubithon and a Barrel Tasting at one of the local wineries that will be part of the raffle at the event. You get a raffle ticket with the price of admission.

There will be the normal cheese, meat, crackers.

Look forward to seeing everyone up there. Should be fun!

Jerry

Also want to remind everyone that there will be a Wine Tasting Event to benefit the "Rubicon Trail Foundation".

My wife is looking forward to THIS especially! (I bought her a unbreakable polycarbonate wine glass as well)

As of right now we have 7 wineries that have donated wine and champagne. We have a gorgeous Magnum of Wine that is engraved for the 25th Anniversary Rubithon and a Barrel Tasting at one of the local wineries that will be part of the raffle at the event. You get a raffle ticket with the price of admission.

There will be the normal cheese, meat, crackers.

Look forward to seeing everyone up there. Should be fun!

Jerry

You left a part out :doh: Seth, feel free to leave yours at home. When you sign up for the wine tasting fundraiser for RTF, you will get a stemless, polycarbonite wine glass with the TLCA and RTF Logo with the 25th annual Rubithon logo on it:cheers:

So for even the "non-wine" drinkers out there, it raises $$$ for a great cause and you get to take something super cool to the Mrs.:grinpimp: Well that and sunburn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom