OEM Toyota 80 Series Snorkel Installation Write-Up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fergie

SILVER Star
Threads
So, MUD is a great resource, but there is so much information to wade through, and some of it is old enough that links have died or people have forgotten the knowledge.
I'm doing this write-up, this very basic write-up, to help people out and give them some pointers and pictures as reference.
So first off, this is the pieced together kit that forum member Whoisthecoolguy brought together. Aside from some rivets that I chose to use, he has a complete kit, including template. There are no directions for this, so you have to be a bit mechanically inclined to assemble everything properly.
SnorkelInstallation002.jpg

SnorkelInstallation003.jpg

Here is the template; I've made a few extra copies of it, so if someone else ever needs a copy, I can mail you one, just PM me.
SnorkelInstallation001.jpg

These are two diagrams that might be helpful to someone; they were so much to me, but you may find them useful.
8020snork-resized.jpg

diagramb.jpg

Most folks will find a fractional equivalent to the metric bits that are needed; Flagstaff has a very knowledgeable machine shop supplier in town, and the guy was able to find me two high quality bits; one is 7mm, the other 9mm.
SnorkelInstallation008.jpg

The most useful tool I had on this project was this sucker:
SnorkelInstallation004.jpg

The problem that some will run in to is that the rivets supplied with the kit have a larger pin diameter than most manual rivet guns will handle. The rivets are 7mm, or close to 1/4". When stepping up from the 3/16" to 1/4" size, the pin diameter increases as well, making installation difficult. I was able to borrow this tool, but if I had not, I had also bought some wide flange 3/16 to use instead. You can see the differences in the rivets below:
The rivet on the right is similar to the supplied one, but is not a sealed end. The sealed end is not required in my opinion. The middle rivet is the supplied one, and the far right is the smalled, wide flange.
P1010243.jpg

Pin diameter difference:
P1010244.jpg

So, start by aligning the marks on the template with the body, namely the fender and cowl. Once you get the general idea, tape off the section of body to avoid damaging the paint anymore than you will, and to prevent flaking. Realign the template, tape it down an start marking. Prior to installing the template over the tape, cut out the "cut ou" portion for the snorkel, and poke some hole to mark the 7mm and 9mm holes.
SnorkelInstallation006.jpg

You'll also want to pull your side marker lamp to access the void, and make installation a snap.
SnorkelInstallation009.jpg

Without going in to too much detail on cutting drilling, cut the "cut out" portion out with your cutter de jure, and drill the holes...it is that straightforward. Once done, debur everything, and smooth the edges out. After that, you need to protect the bare metal; especially those of you that don't live in nice dry climates. For this, I went down to the local windshield replacement shop, and got some small tubes of the epoxy coating they use for windshield installation. This stuff is a big deal for them as far as installtion goes due to previous class action lawsuits, and rusted window frames, so I figure it will work here.
Break the glass in the tube, squeeze it out and apply.
SnorkelInstallation012.jpg

You will see in the picture below that I have test fit part of the assembly, and that all the bare metal has been coated. Next, install the two fender brackets, not the which one goes where, and in what orientation:
SnorkelInstallation016.jpg

The installation of those brackets was as simple as pressing the trigger on the rivet gun....damn near silent operation too.
Once the body brackets are installed, test fit the snorkel body, and mark the upper bracket, drill, coat, and rivet.
SnorkelInstallation014.jpg

SnorkelInstallation015.jpg

After that, install the snorkel boy, make your connections to the airbox, and call it good!
SnorkelInstallation017.jpg

What are the 9mm holes for? Are there some posts on the snorkel, or are there some more rivets?

Fergie-

Nice write up. Aesthetically, I prefer the OEM snorkel , unfortunately, I already have a 3-1/2" hole in my sheet metal where a safari snorkel resides.... Good work!

Last edited:
This snorkel cannnot be used with the US spec stock antenna. I removed mine and still receive radio stations that same as I did before....no biggie to me.

The 9mm holes are for clips. The clips are similar to the yellow and brown ones that hold the interior trim panels to the body.

Thanks for the kind words all!

I guess this means that you decided to keep it ;)

Great write up! I wish that I had the $$ for one of these!

I sure wish I had that template when I did the article for Toyota Trails. I made my own though, using the inlet from the air cleaner can as my initial point of measurement for the conversion. I didn't use the rivets though, it never crossed my mind. I used nuts and bolts for everything. I also completely removed the fender. I do like your method better than what I did. It looks much simpler and the end result is the same.

Subscribing.
I have the OEM snorkel from the same guy. Was waiting on your write up. Still on the fence about it. Eventually I might do it. Since I am happily married it is not a pressing issue for now. :)

Anyway, many thanks for taking the time and providing installation instructions and pictures.

How much $$ cost the snorkel assembly?:hmm:

The template was fool proof. I made extra copies of it too, so PM me if needed.

The cost was $425 USD, and shipping from Canada.

I just installed mine today. I didn't bother sourcing 7mm and 9mm drill bits. Also, I couldn't find a riveter that would accept the supplied rivets. What I did for the "7mm holes" was drill 3/16" holes and use 3/16" rivets with 1/4" reach with really big flanges (similar to the ones on the right in Fergie's comparison).

Somebody asked what the 9mm holes are for? Here too, I substituted for American sizing. I used a 23/64" bit which is about 9.1mm. These holes are for some little plug things to poke into. Those same plug things that are used to hold down all the plastic trim things on the perimeter of your carpet inside.

I don't know what Fergie used to cut the big hole, but I used my trusty Dremel 300 with some cutting disks. I cut it rough first (in the pic) and then cleaned it up with a second disk. A pack of five was about $10 at Home Depot.

Fergie's instructions are good, but they make it seam easier than it is. The part that took me the longest was removing the stock vents from the air cleaner to the intake. There were three bolts that I had to track down under hood just below the opening that were securing the intake and some sort of dirt catcher that I had to remove. I had to move a fuse box out of the way and remove the cover over the throttle cable pulleys to get to them. Also working the interior part of the snorkel into place was a bit of a bitch. I removed the stock stuff and installed all interior parts of the new assembly through the hole behind the right marker light.

For the top part I used some 3/16" rivets with a longer reach, also with wide flanges. You need the extra reach due to the thick rubber gasket.
IMG_0243.jpg
IMG_0244.jpg

Last edited:
I wasn't expecting there to be this gap between the snorkel and the A-pillar. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be like that. I figure this way it's easy to clean in between and crap won't get stuck there.

I also got mine from whosthecoolguy.
IMG_0247.jpg
IMG_0246.jpg

I am currently doing the install on this. But why is there two hose type clamps with this kit. One is already on the 90 elbow, so what is the other one for. And should I waterproof the joints before I complete this install?
Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom