Odd turn signal behavoir (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cdaniel

Undocumented Mechanic-I Am Not CDAN
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
zot-art.com
12/76 FJ40, recently replaced front left turn bulb. Subsequently, the left turn will blink for a few clicks and then stop, lit. Turn it off and on, same thing. Right operates normal. All bulbs work. Head scratch....

For some reason it sounds like the new bulb either isn't of the correct wattage or a contact or ground problem because the flasher that works the right circuit properly is the same that works the left. I would "play" with that left front turn bulb and maybe try another.

First thing I would is switch right and left bulbs and see what happens. If it switches sides then the bulb is problem. If not at least you know that not the problem. Didn't cost any thing and quick easy to do.

happens while running. Bulb switch is a good idea. will give it a shot

I had a similar problem. Turned out to be the wires were reversed at the connection just inside the engine compartment.

X2 on bad ground... If all else fails, your flasher could be on he way out.

Thanks for the help guys. Swapped the bulbs and the problem followed. Time to get a proper 1156 instead of the unmarked one pulled from the dusty spares bin.

:doh:

Had an issue similar to this... Bulb would stay on... The wattage was wrong ... Too low... Switched to correct wattage bulb and blinks great now :)

x2 on johnny's post. It could even the ohmic resistance of the bulb is incorrect. The indicator relay works on a bimetal switch. With to much Watt or to high Ohm's the bimetal switch will not cool enough in between blinks. And stay open.

Need to ask rudi (bj40green) if this can also happen with a bad ground..:hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom