BJ40 Turn Signal Not Working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Reposting this here. Originally posted under Diesel section

I have a question concerning a turn signal issue on my 24V - 1983 BJ40. The left rear turn signal does not work. The left side dash turn signal indicator works….although it flashes very fast, unlike the right side turn indicator which flashes normally. The 24V bulb is fine. I tried a new 24V bulb and the signal still does not work. The 4 hazards work all the way around except the left rear bulb. The right side turn signals work fine - front and back. The left front turn signal works. Is it possible that the switch is bad on one side only? Could there be a ground problem? I believe the ground is ok since the hazards work and flash fine - with the exception of the left rear signal? Any help / guidance would be greatly appreciated!

I'm guessing there's a ground problem or the poor connection problem with the hot lead going to the left rear.

Pencil eraser makes a great contact cleaner for reaching deep into bulb sockets. A little crocus cloth will scrub the inside wall of the socket to provide good contact ground to the bulb. You also need for make sure the socket is grounded to the sheet metal/frame. The wires can also be corroded under the insulation.

Back in the 80's my turn signal tried to kill me by locking the steering wheel in turn. Yea well adrenaline powered strong arm steering broke that self canceling function. Later I took the switch assemble apart. The several of the contacts were bad. I filled in the burnt resin around those contacts with MicroBed epoxy. Cleaned the copper contact, did a little chiropractic work on the sliding part of the switch contacts - put it all back together. Switch worked the turn signal but the self canceling function has never worked again, not that I care.

Sounds like either your bulb isn't making good contact, or your feed wire to that bulb is broken somewhere - possibly caused by corrosion at the connector just by the tail lamp.
Unplug. Clean with wd40. Push in and out a few times, and hopefully good.

If the trail light wasn't grounded then your other tail lights would also be out

your wire front front which supplies power is broken
take omhs or a 24 volts test light follow until no more power done deal but I see others said same but your could run new wire which is much easier than spending time trying to find.Fusebox find the hot away you go and put on a cover or even small gose to protect and use decent zip straps tons to hold in place.Just getting older thats all but that part of the game of owning the FJ.

your wire front front which supplies power is broken
take omhs or a 24 volts test light follow until no more power done deal but I see others said same but your could run new wire which is much easier than spending time trying to find.Fusebox find the hot away you go and put on a cover or even small gose to protect and use decent zip straps tons to hold in place.Just getting older thats all but that part of the game of owning the FJ.
Reminds me of the Panda holding up a diner: Eats, shoots, and leaves.

The broken wire isn't from the fuse panel to anywhere. The turn feed from the fuse panel is working fine, as demonstrated by the right turn signal working, and the front left turn signal also working.
The hazard feed from the fuse panel is also working fine as demonstrated by the hazards working.

Only the left turn signal wire which comes from the turn switch to the rear left lamp is problematic. You could run a new wire from the steering column connector to the rear signal, but the problem is almost certainly in the last 2 feet of cable before the lamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom