Nuts and Bolts (72 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been working the on the Cruiser and decided I needed to order some new nuts and bolts. I am working on the list I found on Mud and I have an excel sheet I am working on comparing different prices for different online and local hardware stores. I decided I really would like a working list of bolt sizes to make life a little easier, especially since I will be working on several of my other cruisers.

I haven't been on CCOT since Nov. or so and noticed they added this:
Bolt Kits

What I would like to do is create a list of sizes for things, kind of set it up like the CCOT with pictures, and include the sizes for the different parts (and of course make it availible to everybody to use !) I would put all the sizes and quanity in excel, then add pictures to help.

So I am going slowly collect, measure and size the bolts as I work on my crusier. Is there something out there like this? Maybe if I searched from Toyota parts? If it is, I still want to do an excel sheet and a word document with pictures.

Here is a start, from what I have searched on MUD

1. **I think Mark from Marksoffroad.com posted this**
M6x1.0 grill bolts
M6x1.0 apron bolts
M6x1.0 rear door hinge bolts
M6x1.0 hardtop bolts
M8x1.25 windshield hinge
M8x1.25 running board bolts
M8x1.25 fender brace bolts
M8x1.25 front door hinge bolts.

2. Poser posted this answer
6mmx1.0x15 or 20 Exterior of windshield (The ones that clamp the front lip of the hardtop to the windshield frame)

Most of the M10s are also 1.25 (exception is the water pump, which is M10x1.0)

The below list was found here:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Common sizes:

M6x1.00 in 16 - Suggest buy 50
M6x1.00 in 20 - Suggest buy 50
M6x1.00 in 25mm - Suggest buy 50
M8 x 1.25 in 16 - Suggest buy 50
M8 x 1.25 in 20 - Suggest buy 80
M8 x 1.25 in 25 - Suggest buy 150
M8 x 1.25 in 30 - Suggest buy 50
M8 x 1.25 in 35 - Suggest buy 150
Flat washers in M6 - Suggest buy 150 plus 30% split washers
Flat washers in M8 - Suggest buy 250 plus 30% split washers
Flat washers in M10 - Suggest buy 100 plus 30% split washers
Flat fender washers in M8 (OD about 30mm) - Suggest buy 100
Nuts for M6x1.00 - Suggest buy 50
Nuts for M8x1.25 - Suggest buy 150
Nuts for M10x1.25 - Suggest buy 150

This list is by no means an exact count but similar quantities got me
through my rebuild without too much left over. It should give you a good
selection and it shouldn't run out in the middle of the job. Get a bunch
of old jars, mark them and store the bolts, nuts and washers in them.
Saves a lot on swear words when you have to pick out from a heap of
bolts, nuts and washers.

>If it's smaller than M6 or larger than M8 then it's probably a dealer
item, >like manifold studs or glove compartment screws. There are
several special >bolts for the hangers, and some have different
attributes than others. When >you put them on you can see why some have
larger flat washers than others >or are a little longer or shorter, for
example. Good luck and happy >cruisin'!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Well nuts & bolts anyway I have a good friend that works at a Honda cycle shop & he hooks me up with hardware that if i didn't pick it up he would trash it he gets so much, real Jap sh't. So if you can hit your local Jap cycle shop you might be surprised.

buy tam at yor local hardware store, avoid buying them in kits say from sor ie where youll get raped,

Thanks for the responses.

I guess you could call it the start of a writeup but I am in the very early stage of putting it all together. I would like to have a complete writeup that is easy to use, and something that makes putting it back together a whole lot easier.

Another thing I want to do is compare Stainless Steel bolts vs. steel bolts.
I have read that stainless steel shouldn’t be used in high stress areas. Part of the excel document would designate which bolts would be stainless and which would not.

I guess I need somebody that has ordered all the nuts bolts and washers for the cruiser to add anything they know/learned.

Here are some the Bolt Stores I am comparing:
www.boltdepot.com
http://store.nutsandbolts.com
www.nuttycompany.com
www.mcmaster.com
http://totallystainless.net/totally.html
http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex

Some of the above online stores are kind of difficult to navigate, and find the right nuts and bolts quickly.

I thought SOR might be a good resource to use their sizes on nuts and bolts:
http://www.sor.com/sor/cat201.tam?xax=28940&page.ctx=cat201.tam

I think it's called the "Japanese Industrial Standard" (JIS ?) and the effect of it is that the head sizes are smaller than other standards. A 13 mm wrench size head, for example, will be a 12mm wrench size for the same thread size.

It can get important when mounting carbs for one thing. Probably other places where the non -JIS bolthead won't fit, or you can't hardly get a wrench on it.

A lot of people have recommended buying nuts and bolts from Toyota dealers.

honk said:
I think it's called the "Japanese Industrial Standard" (JIS ?) and the effect of it is that the head sizes are smaller than other standards. A 13 mm wrench size head, for example, will be a 12mm wrench size for the same thread size.

It can get important when mounting carbs for one thing. Probably other places where the non -JIS bolthead won't fit, or you can't hardly get a wrench on it.
It's not just "JIS", but "JIS Automotive". You can find packs of "JIS" at Autozone, but unfortunately some of the bolts have the odd head size (11s and 13s). One of the convenient things about working on a Toyota is that most jobs require only 10, 12 and/or 14 mm wrenches, and NEVER an 11, 13 or 15. You can LOOK at the bolt head and KNOW which wrench to grab. Tool kit is smaller too.

The smaller bolt heads are also important when mounting your water pump, or mounting brackets for the Alternator on the 2F. I'm sure there are countless other examples.

Here is a good table that I found on the bolt diameter for JIS and some of the other standards.
http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Metric-Bolt-Head-Size.aspx

I have considered buying from Toyota, but I am not sure how much they would end up being. Ideally, I would like to have enough bolts for all my cruisers (not every nut and bolt, but at least the majors) so when I am working, I don't have to have order and wait for the right bolts.

Anyone know how the Toyota bolt prices compare? I guess I'll look into that too.

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BOLT SIZES
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**** Eventually all sizes will be in excel with pulldown menu, organized by name, and catagory. This is just a starting point. As I go along with my Cruiser project (s) , I am checking sizes and updating. This list is compiled from the web, LCML, and IH8MUD.

**** Please post any erros, or additional things to add. I have some dates for the different years I am going to add later.

Motor Mount Bolt Size
12mmx1.25x25 is the bolt that holds the cast mount piece to the engine block...
12mmx1.25 is the thread size/pitch bolt that attaches the cast piece bolted to the block to the engine mount.

12x1.25x 35 or 40mm Front and rear mounts
Poser

Driveshaft Bolts
12 nuts, bolts, washers from Dealer.
“The driveshaft bolts have an unthreaded part of the shank where it goes through the flanges. A
regular bolt will have threads that go all the way up from the head. Because of this, the regular
bolt is more likely work itself loose, with the result being your driveshaft disconnecting. Not a
fun experience.So OEM bolts are considered choice. You can get them from online suppliers and
Toyota.”
IDAVE

Note that blue locktite should be used on driveshaft bolts.

Rear doors
Phillips head, 6mmx1.0x20mm (IIRC, check)
Maybe switch to 8.8 metric hardware

Top is attached to the body with hex head, 6mmx1.0x20mm double check
Poser

Rear Door Hinge Bolts
M6x1.0 rear door hinge bolts

Grill Bolts
M6x1.0 grill bolts

Apron Bolts
M6x1.0 apron bolts

Hardtop Bolts
M6x1.0 hardtop bolts
65SWB45

Windshield Hinge
M8x1.25 windshield hinge
65SWB45

Running Board Bolts
M8x1.25 running board bolts
65SWB45

Fender Brace Bolts
M8x1.25 fender brace bolts
65SWB45

Front Door Hinge Bolts
M8x1.25 front door hinge bolts.
65SWB45

Manifold Stud
10mm x 1.5 Early thru 8/66 [F135]
10mm x 1.25 67-73 [F145 and F155]

74 only [f155] stepped stud
12mm x 1.25 75-87 [2F]
65SWB45

Air Cleaner Bolt Size
Air cleaner to engine bolts (3)
8mmx1.25x15mm long
65SWB45

Skid Plate Bolts
Skid plate bolts stock 4speed skidplate (8)
8mmx1.25x30mm long
65SWB45

Knuckle Rebuild
Cone washers can be reused.
Mark W

Bumper Bolts
½”

Winshield
(The ones that clamp the front lip of the hardtop to the windshield frame)
6mmx1.0x15 or 20 Exterior of windshield
Poser

Water Pump Pulley
8mm x 1.25 Length ---???? 25-30mm
Coolerman

Rear license plate
Bracket to Tailgate
03/69-02/74
6mm x 1 x 12mm

02/74-01/79
6mm x 1 x 12mm

For 03/69-02/74 the bolt part number is 91651-40612.
The last digits dictate size and length. So it is a 6mm dia. and 12mm long. Thread pitch would be 1mm.

For 02/74-01/79 looks like 2 bolt sizes...Part #'2 90119-06083 and 91651-40612.

GROUNDUP

Windshield Exterior
These are the bolts for top exterior of a 40 windshield, which are the ones that clamp the front lip of the hardtop to the windshield frame.
6mmx1.0x15 or 20

Parking Brake
Nut size of drum retaining nut on parking brake of fj40
27mm

[bDrop tailgate hinge[/b]
8mm x 1.25 x 30mm (12)
Captured wavelock washers (12)
Flat washer (12)
Early 70s
Bolts drop tailgate hing to body AND tailgate bolt: (12 needed) 8mm x 1.25 tp x 30mm length. Captured wavelock washer and flat washer. 12m hex head if JIS but 13mm head fits with no clearance issues.

Drop tailgate latch hook
8mm x 1.25 x 30mm (4)
Captured wavelock washer (4)
Flat washer (4)
Early 70s
Drop tailgate latch hook to body bolts: Captured wavelock washer and flat washer. 12m hex head if JIS but 13mm head fits with no clearance issues.

Drop tailgate latch to tailgate bolts
6mm x 1.0 x 20mm (6)
Captured wavelock washer (6)
Flat washer (6)
For early 70's: 10m hex head if JIS or DIN.
Coolerman

Drop tailgate license plate holder bottom to tailgate
8mm x 1.25 x 30mm (2)
Early 70s
Drop tailgate license plate holder (bottom) to tailgate bolts for early 70's: Captured wavelock washer and flat washer. 12m hex head if JIS but 13mm head fits with no clearance issues.
Coolerman

Drop tailgate license plate holder (top) to tailgate
6mm x 1.0 x 20mm (2)
6mm x 1.0 nuts (2)
captured wavelock washer (2)
flat washer (2).
Early 70s
Drop tailgate license plate holder (top) to tailgate bolts. 10m hex head if JIS or DIN.
Coolerman

Spare Tire Carrier to body bolts
8mm x 1.25 x 30 (8)
Captured wavelock (8)
Flat washer (8)
Early 70’s
Spare tire Carrier to body bolts: 12m hex head if JIS but 13mm head fits with no clearance issues.
Coolerman

Front Heater Box
8mm x 1.25 x 25mm (4)
Captured wavelock washer (4)
flat washer (4)
Front heater box mounting bolts. 12m hex head if JIS but 13mm head fits with no clearance issues.
Coolerman

Early horn bolts
4mm x 0.7 x 10mm length phillips JIS head (6 each, 12 total).
Early 70s
Early horn bolts that hold horn halves together: (6 needed per horn 12 total) 4mm x .7 tp x 10mm length phillips JIS head.
Coolerman

Brake Light Assembly
5mm x 1
The bolts that hold the brake lite assembly (1974 & up) to the frame are 5mmx1. They alway are frozen and can be drilled out to 6x1.
Dfmorse

HELPFUL TIPS AND OTHER HINTS

How To Clean
You can place the nuts in Mason jars and clean with lacquer thinner or carb dip, and let soak for
about a day. OR you can buy a parts washer and put a removable tray in. Depending on the Cruiser, bolts may have to be replaced, not cleaned, i.e. rusty bolts.

Stuck Bolts
"PB blaster" helps loosen bolts

Determining Bolt Size
Get an electronic caliper and a metric thread gauge

Getting Windshield Screws Out
An impact wrench can be used or a hammer with a screw driving. I used a large screwdriver, then clamped vise grips onto the screw driver. The bolts had been sprayed with WD40. I didn’t have anything else at the time, so WD40 worked fine. The bolts were hard to get out, but once I had a method with my large Phillips it worked well and I got them all out. Others say they heat the screws and spray liquid wrench.

What does the M mean?
Many confuse the M to mean the hexhead diameter, but it is actually the diameter of the bolt (metric thread call out).

WHAT IS JIS?

Good thread on JIS https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=110830&highlight=bolt+sizes

...................JIS............................ISO/DIN
M6...............10mm head...............11mm
M8...............12mm head...............13mm
M10.............14mm head...............15mm
M12.............19mm head...............19mm

Replacing bolts with non-JIS changes the hex head size of the fastners, which causes you to switch wrenches while working.

Jeff Zepp Comments on JIS
There a number of other sizes that are less common, such as M4 x 0.7mm (screws), M12 x 1.50mm and M12 x 1.25mm (calipers for example), and different lengths than those listed above. Some are very specialized, like the carriage bolts for the stock 40 front bumper, and bolts for the exhaust hangers and such. Note that for JIS sizes, M6 will have 10mm head, M8 will have 12mm head and M10 will have 14mm head. M12 will be 17mm head. Hardware stores generally carry ISO/DIN sized fasteners which will use a 13mm head for M8, 15mm head for M10 and 19mm head for M12. These heads won't fit in a lot of places due to clearance issues on Land Cruisers. Also, they are often not available in the fine and super-fine threads needed for cruiser applications.

Things like the windshield hinges are oval head phillips rather than hex head. Either factory (dealer) or one of the cruiser-specific aftermarket vendors will be your best source for these types of fasteners.

ORDERING LIST
The Below list was gathered from another list off Mud and combined with Rzeppas list.

Super common sizes on cruisers:

Lengths in M6 x 1.00mm
10mm
16mm (50)
20mm (50)
25mm (50)

Lengths in M8 x 1.25mm
16mm (50)
20mm (50)
25mm (150)
30mm (50)
35mm (150)
40mm

Lengths in M10 x 1.25mm
20mm
25mm
30mm
40mm

Flat Washers
M6 (150)
M8 (250)
M10 (100)

Split Washers
M6 (50)

JIS Screwdrivers?
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=1378065&postcount=4

JIS screwdrivers designed to be used on Japanese crosshead screws.

http://www.centralhobbies.com/Tools/jis.html

DO YOU WANT TO CONTRIBUTE?

Look at this post on measuring bolt sizes:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=122737&highlight=bolt+sizes

Last edited:
The bolts that hold the brake lite assembly (1974 & up) to the frame are 5mmx1. They alway are frozen and can be drilled out to 6x1.

This thread should/will be in FAQ.

Good work..

This thread should/will be in FAQ.

Good work..

Wow I wish this thread was here when I bought all my fasterns. I have a list of all of them somewhere. Took me forever to figure out the sizes on those things.

Once I had my list though, buying from www.boltdepot.com was really easy plus there is no minimum order in the way of quanity.

BOLT SIZES

Driveshaft Bolts
12 nuts, bolts, washers from Dealer.
“The driveshaft bolts have an unthreaded part of the shank where it goes through the flanges. A
regular bolt will have threads that go all the way up from the head. Because of this, the regular
bolt is more likely work itself loose, with the result being your driveshaft disconnecting. Not a
fun experience.So OEM bolts are considered choice. You can get them from online suppliers and
Toyota.”
IDAVE

[)

Note on this.

Use Locite...plently of it. Most use blue, unless your really paranoid you can use red, but that may make it tough to get off on the trail.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=80902&highlight=Driveshaft+bolts

:cheers:

GREAT thread! Folks should include the length and number of bolts needed. I can add the following:

Drop tailgate hinge to body AND tailgate bolts for early 70's:

(12 needed) 8mm x 1.25 tp x 30mm length. Captured wavelock washer and flat washer. 12m hex head if JIS but 13mm head fits with no clearance issues.

Drop tailgate latch hook to body bolts for early 70's:

(4 needed) 8mm x 1.25 tp x 30mm length. Captured wavelock washer and flat washer. 12m hex head if JIS but 13mm head fits with no clearance issues.

Drop tailgate latch to tailgate bolts for early 70's:

(6 needed) 6mm x 1.0 tp x 20mm length. Captured wavelock washer and flat washer. 10m hex head if JIS or DIN.

Drop tailgate license plate holder (bottom) to tailgate bolts for early 70's:

(2 needed) 8mm x 1.25 tp x 30mm length. Captured wavelock washer and flat washer. 12m hex head if JIS but 13mm head fits with no clearance issues.

Drop tailgate license plate holder (top) to tailgate bolts for early 70's:

(2 needed) 6mm x 1.0 tp x 20mm length. Captured wavelock washer and flat washer plus 2 6mm x 1.0 nuts. 10m hex head if JIS or DIN.

Spare tire Carrier to body bolts for early 70's:

(8 needed) 8mm x 1.25 tp x 30 mm length. Captured wavelock washer and flat washer. 12m hex head if JIS but 13mm head fits with no clearance issues.

Front heater box mounting bolts

(4 needed) 8mm x 1.25 tp x 25mm. Captured wavelock washer and flat washer. 12m hex head if JIS but 13mm head fits with no clearance issues.

Early horn bolts that hold horn halves together:

(6 needed per horn 12 total) 4mm x .7 tp x 10mm length phillips JIS head.

These are all verified by measuring them as they came off my truck.

Last edited:
Wow... this is an awesome thread... Thanks much. It certainly will help as I've started making a "wish list" and stuff that I'll need...including bolts. I've not yet begun to compare prices. CCOT's grouping kits sure makes it tempting but I'm sure you can do better elsewhere. I'd love an excel copy that you churn out if you didn't mind. Thanks again for all of your hard leg work.

Good luck.

Scott

Holy crap!

FYI

I think the copied text below is incorrect. they have a 12 mm head and I have never used a 11mm wrench in my life.

Hardtop to Tub Bolts
6mm bolt
11mm head (Toyota) 12mm aftermarket
socket size is 10mm wrench
1.0 Tp
Captive wave lock washer and 16mm Flat washer
25mm long is OEM
AATLAS

Thanks for catching that AATLAS. I was cutting and pasting new stuff from the threads and didn't catch that. I delete the Hardtop to tub bolt one for now, until I have the correct stuff.

Thanks... it is still a work in progress!

As far as the excel sheet, it is also still a work in progress, but I can email ya what I've got so far.

As far as comparing to CCOT prices, buying the following will cost you $192 before you pay shipping. SOR also sells a kit.
Ambulance doors (door to tub and hardtop), Bumper bolt kit, Bumperette and Frame bolt kit, Cowl screen screws, Door bolts, Grill Screws, Hardtop bolts,Hood hinge bolts, License plate bolts,Spare Tire (tube), Taillight screws, Turn signal screws, Windshield hook, Wiper motor cover

SOR's kit cost $70 but doesn't include that much. It might be all that some need though.
http://www.sor.com/sor/cat201.tam?xax=9965&anchor=#201-40
Includes: exposed rear door hinge screws & washers, exposed front door hinge screws & washers, windshield hinge screws, hood hinge screws & nuts, hood hook screws & washers & nuts, windshield hook screws & washers & nuts

SOR also sells nuts and bolts, but the problem is the cost. A pack of 8mm x 17mm in a 10 pack cost $14!!!! I just don't have that kind of money to put out for my small cruiser collection.

WHen time allows, I'll add comparisions between buying a kit and assembling it yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom