Nuts and Bolts (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On my 73, the rear swing doors are 8x1.25 with a philips head on the top 4 and hex head on the bottom 4 but you will need the bolts for the bottoms also.

flawless write up .hell around here its a problem finding the right bolts:rolleyes: why i dont have a clue. metric is just as common as my left nut.had to drive a freaking hour last week for one bolt and search the shelves for 30 minutes just to fing it.now i dont have to:D

Holy crap!
Hardtop to Tub Bolts
6mm bolt
10mm head (Toyota)
socket size is 10mm wrench
1.0 Tp
Captive wave lock washer and 16mm Flat washer
25mm long is OEM

Fixed it.....

I used a non captive lock washer and 17mm flat I think in my sets.

The head is also correct to Toyota's.

That's a great thread. I bought a bunch of JIS bolts from nutsandbolts.com and they're about 40% cheaper than SOR.

Awesome thread. I'd love a copy in excel also if you don't mind.

Ih8wood or CEssna,

How do the quality of bolts from nutsandbolts.com compare with the OEM bolts? Are the bolt kits from CCOT the same as OEM (cadium plated and such)? I did a quick calculation (normalizing the # of bolts to 100 for comparison sake), and so far it seems that once you order the washers, lockwashers, etc, you don't save much over ordering the hardtop bolt kit straight from CCOT. I know SOR's a ripoff, so I didn't even bother looking over there.

EDIT: Nevermind, made a mistake in the calculations. It is approximately 50% cheaper to order from nutsandbolts.com. Time to start making my list!

Last edited:
Holy crap!

FYI

I think the copied text below is incorrect. they have a 12 mm head and I have never used a 11mm wrench in my life.

Hardtop to Tub Bolts
6mm bolt
11mm head (Toyota) 12mm aftermarket
socket size is 10mm wrench
1.0 Tp
Captive wave lock washer and 16mm Flat washer
25mm long is OEM
AATLAS

U gotta be right on that - I saw you are selling them on Ebay!
Great thread - gotta be in FAQ.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------
ORDERING LIST
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Below list was gathered from another list off Mud and combined with Rzeppas list.

Super common sizes on cruisers:

Lengths in M6 x 1.00mm
10mm
16mm (50)
20mm (50)
25mm (50)

Lengths in M8 x 1.25mm
16mm (50)
20mm (50)
25mm (150)
30mm (50)
35mm (150)
40mm

Lengths in M10 x 1.25mm
20mm
25mm
30mm
40mm

Flat Washers
M6 (150)
M8 (250)
M10 (100)

Split Washers
M6 (50)

this is the type of info I was looking for! So if one were to purchase the above bolts he would have a good "general" set of bolts for a cruiser. How about for the FJ55 guys? Is it relatively the same type of bolts used?? Obviously no list will have everything but it sure would be nice to have a general set of bolts to pull from. thanks!

Noah

Noah,

I am not sure about FJ55 but if someone would get me one, I would sure be happy figuring out all of the bolts sizes ;)

so I ordered a boatload of bolts from mcmasster carr and let me say it is a VERY NICE thing to have an assortment of new bolts on hand. I was not concerned with JIS and the bolts are silver in color but plated for wear resistance. For a few items I will need to get the OEM bolts but overall I think this will save me mucho bucks in the long run. I basically used the reccomendations from this thread.

Noah

I spent a few hundred $$ on fasteners. Looking at what I took off, and looking at what is on the truck now....it was worth it.

1973 Guppie

Are you keeping a list of nuts / bolts on your FJ55? I'd like to see how sizes compare. Plus I'll need a list of FJ55 bolts one day!

I will hopefully get the bolt list updated in a couple of weeks with new sizes for alot of the bolts for the body.

Last edited:
Guppie-------

Do you have a list of the ones you did end up ordering?

How much did it cost you?

Any pictures of what Mcmaster carr bolts look like

Thanks

I have some additions for your list.

Battery tray to battery pedestal mount

4 8mm x 1.25 x 20mm split washer

Battery pedestal to frame

4 8mm x 1.25 x 30mm split washer only

Under Seat Tool Box Jack Holder Mount

2 6mm x 1.0x 16mm split washer + flat

Trans Tunnel Bolts

16 6mm x 1.0 x 20mm split washer + flat

Soft Top Tub Rail Rear Bow Bracket

4 6mm x 1.0 x 20mm split washer + flat

Soft Top Wheel Well Bow Bracket

4 8mm 1.25 x 16mm Split washer + flat

Rear Lift Gate Hinge Bolts

6 8 mm x 1.25 x 20mm split washer +flat

Lift Gate Cross Member (ties hard top sides together)

4 8mm x 1.25 x 18mm split washer + flat (side bolts)
4 6mm x 1.0 x 16mm split washer + flat (top bolts)

Lift gate support anchors to hard top sides

4 6mm x 1.0 x 16mm phillips head split washer + flat

Fiberglass top to hard top side panels

24 6mm x 1.0 x 16mm

Hard Top side panels to Tub rail

12 6mm x 1.0 x 20mm

Fiberglass top door bows above front doors

8 6mm x 1.0 x 12mm phillips head split washer + flat

That's all for tonight!

Last edited:
no pics, nothing fancy, they are just silver zinc plated, nice looking I think. I could not find the cadium plating so I went this route. They are not JIS heads either, but this was not important to me as much as others. I tend to do rebuilds nicely but not perfect restorations so not concerned about bolt details. I basically just took the reccomended bolt sizes from this thread and ordered a bunch of bolts, washers, lock washers, and nuts. I basically stuck to M6, M8 and M10. So far it has worked well for me. I don't plan to record every bolt size I use on the 55 rebuild as I am guessing that most of them should be similar sizes. I spent about $200 and got a boatload of hardware. Hope this helps.

Noah

Thanks coolerman.... I'll put those into the first part ! !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom