Nothing interesting here, just another H55/splitcase into a 74 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Threads
Had a mudder contact me about helping out with a few items that needed to be done on an FJ40 for a friend of his. I really didn't need the work nor really want to do it. But he was persistent and quite frankly I needed the mental vacation from the 8o Series and general Wits' End stuff.

Truck arrived about three weeks ago but I REFUSED to do a single thing unless I had everything ready to go but at the same time I needed some help because I only have one good arm so I enlisted my buddy @Dynosoar to give me that extra hand I needed. Luckily I also have my little brother visiting from North Carolina and he was eager as hell to get started on it. I was able to get some last minute pieces together so it meant I could get started and then create a punch list for the last minute details.

And so it begins. This FJ40 is getting a brand spanking new H55 transmission and Splitcase courtesy of @orangefj45 . The seats are out and the tunnel coming off. The driver side seat was some cheesy makeshift bracket. Only managed to break one bolt on the tunnel.

IMG_3002.JPG

Note to self: even if the fuel gauge IS broken, don't fill the tank the night before doing a transmission swap. Those last two bolts are a bitch. Doh!
IMG_3007.JPG

Ever seen an old LandCruiser shifter come out by hand? Neither have I. @Dynosoar gave it gusto to no avail. Back to the old stand by of two large screwdrivers
IMG_3009.JPG

The old Toyota 3SPD that is about to come out!
IMG_3012.JPG
IMG_3014.JPG

Rear driveshaft needs to come off and then it's off to Wenco to be shortened. The last bolt was completely mangled. Looks like whoever worked on it last didn't give a crap about the hardware.
IMG_3017.JPG

IMG_3018.JPG
IMG_3022.JPG
IMG_3023.JPG

Rear driveshaft is off and time for the rear parking brake drum to come off. Turns out the parking brake was in very good condition. All the parts are usable with the H55 conversion. Keeping the brakes and the backing plate since the new H55 doesn't come with it. Once apart then the parking brake cable can be removed. My little brother learning a TON of useful information about the 40Series. Need to teach the younger generation so we can keep these trucks on the road.
IMG_3025.JPG

Now it's time to unbolt the 3SPD from the bell housing. Just four bolts holding it on.

IMG_3030.JPG

The 3Speed transmission and transfer case is now and and so we have clear access to the bellhousing and clutch.
IMG_3032.JPG

Want to talk about STUPID?!?!? How about running the exhaust so close the the bellhousing that it requires CUTTING off both collector tubes JUST to change the clutch. Fxxxing dumb.
IMG_3042.JPG

Yup, gotta cut off the stupid exhaust to get at the clutch plate. Cutting off the exhaust brackets that were welded on instead of bolted on. More awesomeness.
IMG_3047.JPG

IMG_3044.JPG

I mean seriously!??! Could this been any dumber. I can already hear the conversation, "what do I give a crap? I won't have to do the clutch job fo fawk them".
IMG_3053.JPG
IMG_3056.JPG

Flywheel removal time. No issues here
IMG_3060.JPG
IMG_3062.JPG

Old F Motor flywheel out and ready for the scrap heap.
IMG_3069.JPG

Some positive encouragement is often needed for the youngster.

IMG_3074.JPG

Right tools for the right job. Pilot bearing puller takes all of 30 seconds to remove the bearing.
IMG_3079.JPG

Fitting in the 2F bellhousing into the F motor.
IMG_3082.JPG

The 2F flywheel I'll be using.
IMG_3086.JPG

Brand new Toyota 2F clutch fork.
IMG_3087.JPG

H55 and splitcase is getting a new home.
IMG_3126.JPG

FJ40 TorqueTube needs to be cut out and then rewelded with scarab plates to move it back about three inches. With the emergency brake setup the drum wants to be where the torque tube is. Could completely remove it but then we'd need to weld the frame together and that negates the nice flex the frame gives.
IMG_3132.JPG

Off with its head! Or rather, tube.
IMG_3142.JPG

Here is the TorqueTube cut out and then with two 4x4 1/4" plates will be welded on and the new location prepped for welding
IMG_3143.JPG

Torque tube removed
IMG_3144 2.JPG

New 4x4x1/4" scarab plates getting ready to be welded onto the torque tube
IMG_3146.JPG

The H55 roughly in place. The plan of attack is wrapping it with a strap and using the cherry picker to lift in place. Then using the jack to lift the ass end in place
IMG_3148.JPG

Peter is an old pro with handling that young shaft.
IMG_3152.JPG

The cherry picker wants to be where the steering wheel is. OFF goes with the steering wheel with a 17mm nut.
IMG_3159.JPG

The H55 is ready to get slid in
IMG_3164.JPG

And the H55 is in place!!! The paint cap is there to prevent ANYTHING from possibly getting into that hole. If ANYTHING falls in there it is hell to pay!
IMG_3194.JPG

Time to grind a little bit of the frame to get it ready for welding the new torquetube in its place to make room for the new e-brake drum.
IMG_3199.JPG

Parking brake put back together and new drum installed.
IMG_3201.JPG

Here you can see the exhaust that had to be cut and torque tube removed but the H55 fits nicely.
IMG_3206.JPG

The scarab plates for the new torque tube's location getting welded into place.
IMG_3211.JPG

That is as far as we got this weekend. Its all pretty much done with a few things that need attention. So here is the punch list that I need to get taken care of:

* new exhaust flanges to make exhaust AND clutch serviceable
* Clutch fork boot and vent cap needed
* Modified driveshafts need to be done at Wenco in the morning
- 17-7/8" flange face to flange face for rear
- 32-5/8" flange face to flange face for front
* OEM Shifter and knob needed
* Clutch slave and master needed
* New starter needed, old one had melted wire
* Shift plate for 5-spd on the glove compartment
* Decide what to do with old 3-spd
* (4) H55 Mounting bolts, have temporary bolts in there now M10x1.25
* Racer 65 FJ40 front rubber mat maybe?
* Speedo housing extension for the H55
* FJ60 2F drum side drive shaft flange for the rear driveshaft
- 2.75" x2.25" bolt pattern early 60
- 2.25" x 2.50" bolt pattern on H55
* Need 60 shifter plate with cutout then notched for the gas tank
* P-clamp for speedo cable
* Reverse light connector
* Inspection cover for 2F

But after that its done :p
I'll be shopping in the morning. Gotta do some Wits' End stuff now though. :hmm:

Last edited:
that's a long weekend,
don't forget to stake the nut for the park brake drum.

Extremely curious.....What parking brake assembly did you use?

Are you planning on fabricating a transmission mount for the H55F?

Was curious about this myself. I asked in a thread years ago about using a four speed with the split case and the general answer was to use the the crossmember under the transmission and not hang it off the bellhousing. Also curious about the length of the rear driveshaft. Guess in a stock height FJ40 shouldn't be too bad. Much lift and angle would get extreme pretty quick.
Guessing the hand brake setup came from Georg. He had a number of kits a while back. Wonder has this dropped the value of the used setups coming in from other markets?

Question, would this have fit without cutting and moving the torque tube if the hand brake was on the rear axle? Could you explain was needed to be modified in the gas tank area?
Would like to see some detailed pictures of the clearances towards the back of the transmission cover. Planning on doing this to a 79 and with the hand brake on the rear axle other being tight in the center hump it would be a straight bolt in if a person had the driveshafts and flange bolt pattern matched. Have a 73 but figured the 79 would be easier.
Another question what is this speedometer cable extension, part number? Does it make up for extra length of the five speed?
Last question with the brake handle on the dash I assume a custom cable is going to be needed?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom