not sure whether to switch to rear discs or not (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my first attempt to post a question to this group.
I've got a 78 FJ 40 which I restored 10 years ago and now am upgrading again. My brake lines across the rear axle are about to rust out so I am considering whether or not now is the time to switch over to rear disc brakes with stainless steel lines or just replace the old lines with stainless steel and keep the rear drums. I'm considering BTB for the source of disc kit.
Any suggestions or experiences you have had would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help.

switching the front to disk brakes already made a huge difference, will soon do the rear.

Rear drums are fine when they are adjusted correctly. But after a few hair raising moments this summer from not having them properly adjusted, i'm ready to do rear disc. A friend of mine just did rear discs on his 71-72 ish bronco and the thing stops straight as an arrow and way quicker than my cruiser. Before the swap, my cruiser definately stopped a lot better.

If you take the time and look into it, you will find a much, much cheaper way to do the disks, if you are willing to spend the time and effort. Just FYI

maybe its just me, but I can not see any need for rear disc brakes on a cruiser if your not running huge(like 35++) tires. all my crap stops VERY well with front disc and rear drums.

I have front disks and rear stock drums.

The rear drums still lock up. All new components.

However, 5 years from now when it is no longer new stuff I will likely go to 4wl discs just for ease of maintence.

4 wheel discs

Go with the 4 wheel discs. Much better IMO. I didn't have any back brakes at all when I did mine.

You do not have to go to the expense of stainless lines. You can run hard lines all the way from the splitter and save some $$$$. I'm always flat broke while doing a project, because I take on a little more than I can afford.

I had the Stainless lines on mine. But you can always add them later.

J.R.

Landpimp said:
maybe its just me, but I can not see any need for rear disc brakes on a cruiser if your not running huge(like 35++) tires. all my crap stops VERY well with front disc and rear drums.

X3

Good rear drums do a good job with less than 35s. Rear disks have the advantage of retaining the axle in case you break one, but this is less likely with smaller tires.

I used the BTB kit. While it was expensive compared to assembling a kit yourself it was a complete esay to install kit. They have instructions on their web site to follow. I hae 35" tall tires and am glad I did it. Of course my rear drum components were shot so i did it in lieu of buying all new drum parts.

I'm rebuilding and upgrading a 69 axle to stick under my 65 FJ40. After a little research it was easy to see that installing rear disks will be cheaper then rebuilding the rear drums. Understand I would have needed everything but new backing plates if I had rebuilt the rear drums.

I found all the info to do this in the tech form.

The backing plate mounting flange
Disk%20Break%20conversion%201.jpg

Caliper mounting bracket. I got the neighbor cut these out for me.
Disk%20Break%20conversion%202.JPG

Chevy 1/2 ton rotors. I have access to a machinist at work. He turned the centers of the hat to fit the axle flanges.
Disk%20Break%20conversion%203.JPG

Back side view
Disk%20Break%20conversion%204.JPG

Chevy Monty Carlo calipers. I had to grind some bumps off to make them fit the mounting brakets.
Disk%20Break%20conversion%205.JPG

Front view
Disk%20Break%20conversion%206.JPG

Back View
Disk%20Break%20conversion%207.JPG

Whole axle
Disk%20Break%20conversion%208.JPG

search is your firend

Assemble the parts yourself from available lists in tech and cut your cost in half. Also learn to use Search function. It is your friend. This has been discussed 10,000 times this month. And welcome, newb. We will forgive you this time.

Don't forget about a proportioning valve! It might be necessary. I had one instance where performed a 270 degree spin out on a rainy day, and I wasn't even trying to stop quickly. I ended up buying buying a Wilwood prop. valvle shortly after that ;)

I guess it all depends on whether you like to stop or not. Drum brakes are fine, and so is black and white TV and 8tracks.

Hodag

I put rear discs on my '78 40 a few years ago because I complete rebulit the rear, the first time I took them wheeling they siezed up on me. I love my 4 wheel discs.

Later
Ryan

hey.......I now have a OEM Toyota 8 Track player going in my 82 fj40....... :flipoff2:

but let me tell ya, the OEM front disc and rear drums on my 82 fj40 will stop better then prolly anything else i own, even the 100's. I have done NOTHING to them in 3 years. But I agree, if they need alot of work, it can get spendy(but really not that bad)

hodag said:
I guess it all depends on whether you like to stop or not. Drum brakes are fine, and so is black and white TV and 8tracks.

Hodag

Go here and read about doing the conversion for a lot less than BTB will charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom