Noise after 4.88 Nitro Regear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I just regeared my truck, and it's making noise. It only makes it above around 30 mph and is a constant hum that drops in frequency as I decelerate. It sounds like it's coming from the front diff which is strange since I thought noise usually comes from the rear It doesn't make noise if I accelerate hard for some reason though. It's not noticeable at times but can be quite noticeable at other times. There was alsp a little bit of grinding noticeable at first on deceleration but that's not as frequent now. I'm not sure if this is common with Nitros or if I just need to break them in for 500 miles. I've put about 100 on them so far. I also did a front axle rebuild at the same time by the same mechanic if that makes a difference. Also, it's got cheap gear oil in the diffs right now for the break in period. Is this a bad installation?

Thanks

They are 4.88's gonna make noise. Try 140 weight oil

Check your driveshaft install......might be out of phase.

upload_2014-8-9_20-58-24.jpeg

They shouldn't make noise. Mine didn't. Sounds like it isn't shimmed properly

Haha Mate I have the same problem just like you mentioned , did you do it yourself or someone else , the back is not to bad but the front is so sensitive it needs to be precise how to make sure the backlash and shim is perfectly right , even just a hair of shim off that front diffs will make you crazy every time you decelerate , so my advice is I hate to tell you but take it apart and redo it again. Iv'e learn my lesson to do it three times before I get it right..

I would recommend taking it to a shop that does this, just the diff and have them make sure the shims are right. That way its not to $$ and you are doing most of the work yourself.

me, I had a pro rebuild and shim the diffs and then put them in my daughters 80 myself. I just hired Robbie to do the whole job for me.

Thanks for the replys. I had a mechanic do it. I took it again tonight and I had my dad drive while I sat in the back amd I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the rear now. I guess the noise just traveled or it could be both. However, it was more quiet and less frequent. Maybe because they needed to be broken in. I know most people say they shouldn't make any noise from the beginning but I've also heard people say that it goes away after a couple 100 miles and a gear oil change. If it persists I'll get the mechanic to take a look at it again. He seemed competent. I just wish I knew how to do this stuff myself.

It isn't normal to make noise and it won't go away. It is an error in the gear set up. Have the mechanic show you the gear pattern when he checked it. He must have checked it to be sure it was set up properly.

Robbie showed me the set of shims you have to do to do this properly. He invested a lot so he had the multiple sizes. If your mechanic doesn't have the set to check shims till he gets the right clearance, then maybe he isn't that familiar with Toyota diffs. Not throwing stones, but I would validate he has the long term Toyota knowledge and right set of shims to pick from.

This mechanic did seem more jeep inclined but he said he has worked on toyotas too. I know everyone is saying to have him take a look at them again but he lives 2 hours away from me and he's sick, so I may be stuck with them for a littlw while. Do you guys think anything could get damaged if nothing is done right away?

My Nitro's make noise/whine on acceleration. Not much but more than stock. About 1k on the gears so far. One of the Nitro's was a reboxed sierra gear. Setup done by ZUK so not too worried. If the installer got a good patten you should be OK.

options, what ever came of your gear situation? Did your noise go away or did you have to take it back and have it looked at.? I'm in Houston and looking into re-gearing. Any advise on who to take it to or who NOT to take it to is appreciated.

did you install with a new master kit? this master kit is something you must do.......if you reuse your old ones, i have noticed that noise is bound to appear! redid mine 2x because i tried to save some money initially.

Grinding noise is NOT NORMAL, first thing i would do is take it back to whoever installed your gear set. You need to do this right away because the longer you run the gear set, the more wear can happen. If you run them to long they can wear to a point that the gear set will need to be replaced along with ALL your bearings and seals. I bet if you were to pull your drain plug you would fine a lot if fine metal stuck to the magnet.

X10, Its not normal. 5.29 Nitros here and no noise. The front of mine howls just a little when it cold (0 -20 degrees) but goes away after about a mile.

Take it back asap and/or maybe find someone familiar with the 80 diffs.

looking at your sig line you might be a little over 3" of lift. That's the area where drive shaft noise can start to happen and with the gear change comes higher Drive shaft RPMs. Might not be the gears at all.

Also, the master kits comes with pinion shims. While not Toyota they should work fine.

did you install with a new master kit? this master kit is something you must do.......if you reuse your old ones, i have noticed that noise is bound to appear! redid mine 2x because i tried to save some money initially.

:slap:

Was just about to post about my problems with Nitro's 9.5" set. Seems to be quite common. Good luck getting any kind of warranty out of them.
I will be buying another 4.88 set by sierra this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom