Newbie Looking For "Driver" FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks,

I'm new to the forum, which I joined recently as I plan to buy an "driver"-level FJ40 for a bit of classic offroading fun.

I've offroaded in more modern vehicles in the past and present (1990 Isuzu Trooper and 2005 Nissan Frontier), but would like to try something more classic - the FJ40 is it, with plenty of fans, support, and parts behind it.

In any case, I still know little about these trucks, but am learning (via Wikipedia and reading up on forums), and am starting to look at what's available out there.

I've come across this honest-looking 1977 rig in northern California, which is likely in my price range, and looks to be in decent shape:

1977 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40

I plan to visit the vehicle/owner, but what should I be looking out for, in terms of engine (original at 168,000 miles), suspension mods, and rust? This truck has had some rust repair done... is the chassis prone to rust so that I'd need to check carefully?

Thanks in advance for any input/comment!

The rear quarter panels are a classic rust spot. Judging by diamond plate I would bet they are rusty underneath, also check out frame carefully. '77 was one of the best years IMO

Yes I like the '78 as well but would swap out the V8

@Living in the Past are you going to the Copper State Cruisers meeting Friday in Phoenix? If I could do mine all over I probably would not have reversed shackle up front, but yet it works very well. Just saying. Tom

As you are in California, you know about the smog nazis. The ability to pass a smog check, visual & tailpipe, is something to keep in mind.

And don't forget to check under the rear sill and rocker panels for rust.

Welcome and have fun :)

Thank you all very much for your comments and suggestions!

I'll have a look at the '78 and get back with my thoughts and we can go from there.

If it's an early-enough truck, I may be able to skip CA smog requirements altogether, so that'd be an added draw for an older rig.

And thanks for the link, @Sethro60 , I'll check it out.

When you go to look at the '77 crawl in,on and around it looking for all the obvious and not so obvious things that you would not want in a truck-rust,hacked wiring,sludge for oil,air filter that has not been changed since Carter was in office,rotted frame rails,etc. and then think about what you want it to become and how much more you need to put into it to have what you want........................based on those pics that truck is worth nowhere near $9,000 unless it comes with a fulltime driver and she washes the truck on weekends in a bikini :)

Great advice, @71FFJ40 , especially about the "human" component of a potential deal. Lol! I will do some crawling down there, yes, bikini or not.

View attachment 1443590
00a0a_7sMElSjrRDa_600x450.jpg
The key is minimal rust and patience for the right find...they are out there...
Here is my 78 cleaned up really nice.

00G0G_eRuyWic0DrM_600x450.jpg

20170302_104326.jpg

Last edited:
A v8 in a fj40 can be great for a driver. You get the same or better gas mileage and far more power. Also parts are easier to come by. But you do lose some fj40 original character. Also the spring over axle suspension may be fun for you. Or if u don't like it make it spring under again. The blue one looks decent, just needs some of the cheesy stuff fixed and the suspension is way too high. But those are little things that you can easily tinker on. Green one looks good too.

Not having experienced an FJ40 previously, I'm more interested in a rig that's as stock as possible, so as to learn what it felt like fresh out of the factory; I'm thus leaning more toward a Toyota engine, with near-stock suspension and interior - maybe a "farm truck" of sorts that's been used but not messed with?

Speaking of engines, how durable is the engine, and what's the average cost for a full-rebuild? Thanks.

Speaking of engines, how durable is the engine, and what's the average cost for a full-rebuild? Thanks.

how durable? when ww3 wipes away all vestiges of human degradation and trash, there will still be running 2F's.

all jokes aside, they are bullet proof.

Most Toyota engines are bulletproof :)...........see attached exhibit A.....bad things happen when the previous owner(s) neglect engines and fail to perform at least minimal maintenance on an engine................thoroughly inspect any potential purchase with a fine tooth comb.

FBLOCK.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom