FJ40 OEM Wheel Options - Newbie Question! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm quite certain this is a classic newbie question.......I'm interested in an overview of what OEM wheel options were offered on the FJ40, in particular MY1977. Our inherited barn find truck has these white spoked steelies (see photo below), which I have also seen on other vehicle in various photos as well.
Is this the standard, or a factory optional OEM wheel for 1977, or not ? Also does anyone know the correct factory/stock tire size for these wheels ?
Many thanks in advance for any help!

FJ40 Left Rear.jpg

Not original wheels but the 15" period correct wheel is still available from the dealer. Racer 65 offers a 16" steel wheel that accepts the stock hubcaps and gives you more tire buying choices. These are stock 15" wheels.

Edit: You may want to start a Build thread so you're not having to start a bunch of new threads. You will have all your issues under one thread. Search is your friend on a topic like this.

IMG_1905.jpeg

Nice! I do like these white steel spoked wheels - just interested in what they are......(OEM or aftermarket for a 1977) ?

Not a good enough pic to tell, but they look aftermarket to me.

They are aftermarket "wagon wheels". They could be had in various widths but the important number was the back spacing 3-1/2".

A quick search will yield your answers as this stuff is covered so often it hurts to respond, down to wheel color, so please please please search.

Four options were offered....

1. Riveted steel wheel with center cap clips for drum trucks*
2. Welded steel wheel with center cap clips for disc trucks*
3. Split steel wheel for tubed tires
4. 'Wagon wheel's in both white or chrome. (I can't remember if chrome was actually offered factory on a 40. White was offered but the same wheel in chrome came on 60 series trucks and pickups).

* 1 & 2 look the same but the riveted portion is specific to drum or disc.. There were also acorn wheel caps for early trucks where later caps have a different shape.

The wheels you have are aftermarket. Very common replacement when going to wider tires. Both of which baffle me but it was the style.

1709838798125.png

1709838973989.png

1709838928010.png

1709838996488.png

Last edited:
A quick search will yield your answers as this stuff is covered so often it hurts to respond, down to wheel color, so please please please search.

Four options were offered....

1. Riveted steel wheel with center cap clips for drum trucks*
2. Welded steel wheel with center cap clips for disc trucks*
3. Split steel wheel for tubed tires
4. 'Wagon wheel's in both white or chrome. (I can't remember if chrome was actually offered factory on a 40. White was offered but the same wheel in chrome came on 60 series trucks and pickups).

* 1 & 2 look the same but the riveted portion is specific to drum or disc.. There were also acorn wheel caps for early trucks where later caps have a different shape.

The wheels you have are aftermarket. Very common replacement when going to wider tires. Both of which baffle me but it was the style.

View attachment 3576295
View attachment 3576298
View attachment 3576297
View attachment 3576299
Fantastic information - may thanks indeed. Those wheels have been on the truck for a very long time, as we have photos of the PO (my wife's Father) with the truck on the same wheels and he passed away in 2001. So I guess I'll need to keep them for family heritage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom