New transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My transmission just went out on my 1988 FJ62. It has a automatic transmission currently. I've read that a lot of people like the H55 installed on this model. What are the pros and cons of rebuilding a transmission from a parts FJ62 with another automatic or going with the H55? What are the average prices for each? I'm not a mechanic so I will be looking for someone around the Mississippi area. Any recommendations? Thank you.

cheapest option is a good used unit
rebuild existing $2500-4500?
H55 $7000-8500

all depends on labor rates and where you can find the needed parts

Yeah a used or even $$$ rebuilt transmission is the cheapest option but when it’s done you still have an FJ62 with a turd auto that sucks all the power out of your 3FE.

An H55 swap is by far the best upgrade and the 3FE will blow your mind with a manual behind it. It’s really a great, albeit, over complicated motor compared to the 2F.

All that said, paying someone to swap in an H55 is likely going to be as much as triple the cost of putting an auto back in.

What part of Mississippi are you in?

Yeah a used or even $$$ rebuilt transmission is the cheapest option but when it’s done you still have an FJ62 with a turd auto that sucks all the power out of your 3FE.

An H55 swap is by far the best upgrade and the 3FE will blow your mind with a manual behind it. It’s really a great, albeit, over complicated motor compared to the 2F.

All that said, paying someone to swap in an H55 is likely going to be as much as triple the cost of putting an auto back in.

What part of Mississippi are you in?
Meridian, MS.

Paging @EscapeWagon62. He completed the H55 swap in his 62 just recently. Have a romp in his build thread:

Paging @EscapeWagon62. He completed the H55 swap in his 62 just recently. Have a romp in his build thread:

You can find A440F donors from folks on this site for relatively little money. Mine was still functioning snd I gifted it to the folks in a Land Cruiser club in Connecticut (I charged them what I think any A440F is worth....$0 but Ive seen them go for $400 somewhat regularly)
If money is tight, do what @FJ Silver said plus adjust your kickdown cable. Many times this gets them back up and rumning. It’ll always be the weak point of your rig and rebuild success has been spotty at best (hence people generally just throw in a donor or purchased used one)
The H55 swap is not technically difficult and worth your time if money isn’t as tight. The peace of mind for me made the decision easy and it changed the performance dramatically.

Try the easy stuff first, flush, fill correctly and kickdown
Check the transfer case fluid, if you pull the fill plug out and red transmission fluid comes out.....the seal between trans and xfer is leaking. When that happens your fluid level drops i. The transmission and you’ll have inconsistent pressure causing weird shifting.

I tinkered with the A440f for a couple of years. Feel free to PM if I can help you.

You can find A440F donors from folks on this site for relatively little money. Mine was still functioning snd I gifted it to the folks in a Land Cruiser club in Connecticut (I charged them what I think any A440F is worth....$0 but Ive seen them go for $400 somewhat regularly)
If money is tight, do what @FJ Silver said plus adjust your kickdown cable. Many times this gets them back up and rumning. It’ll always be the weak point of your rig and rebuild success has been spotty at best (hence people generally just throw in a donor or purchased used one)
The H55 swap is not technically difficult and worth your time if money isn’t as tight. The peace of mind for me made the decision easy and it changed the performance dramatically.

Try the easy stuff first, flush, fill correctly and kickdown
Check the transfer case fluid, if you pull the fill plug out and red transmission fluid comes out.....the seal between trans and xfer is leaking. When that happens your fluid level drops i. The transmission and you’ll have inconsistent pressure causing weird shifting.

I tinkered with the A440f for a couple of years. Feel free to PM if I can help you.
I'm not very mechanically inclined, so I'm in research mode and looking for people that can do the work. I've had a few recommendations to do a V8 swap if I was going to put the money into an H55 swap. Any advice is appreciated. I will definitely ask more questions as they come up. Thank you.

What makes you say your transmission is going titst up?
What are the symptoms?

Many fj62 owners including myself have brought these transmission back to life with a good passive flush and after it, adding a transmission oil cooler.
It's not a difficult job and a lot cheaper than a rebuild.

Search this forum for Rodney flush to learn more.
For sure use a quality synthetic ATF

Transmission shop in Dallas excellent work. Trans pro transmission. Mike

What makes you say your transmission is going titst up?
What are the symptoms?

Many fj62 owners including myself have brought these transmission back to life with a good passive flush and after it, adding a transmission oil cooler.
It's not a difficult job and a lot cheaper than a rebuild.

Search this forum for Rodney flush to learn more.
For sure use a quality synthetic ATF
I decided to drive 4 hours to my parents house in Memphis. 20 minutes south of Memphis I pulled over to get gas. Pulling into the gas station I starting getting smoke coming up through the floorboard and hood that continued for about 25 minutes even with the car turned off and that smelt like rotten eggs. The "AT Oil Temp Light" on the shifter also came on and did not extinguish for about 45 minutes. What looked like oil at first but I believe now was AT fluid was leaking from the bottom of the car. After the oil temp light went off and the car quit smoking, I attempted to drive the truck around the block to see if it just needed to cool down. Less then 300 yard down the road I was at 3500 rpm and 10 mph as I pulled into another parking lot. I tried to put the car into park but it would not catch. I pulled the emergency brake and called a tow truck.

Did you check the fluid level before attempting to drive away?!

I highly doubt it's a torque converter failure just doesn't happen often

If Mike found a good shop, then take his advice

Did you check the fluid level before attempting to drive away?!

I highly doubt it's a torque converter failure just doesn't happen often

If Mike found a good shop, then take his advice
I checked the transmission and oil fluid levels. They were both good.

Hi, I drive a lot of cruisers, On my automatics all failures have been clutches and torque converters. No main parts worn out. No valve problems. I have two great transmission shops in Dallas after years of searching. They do have wait times, have something else to drive in the mean time. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom