New to forum 1973 FJ40 min restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I am glad to be here. I am restoring a 73 FJ 40 and I have a question about suspension. If I instal just the EMU shocks and damper will that give me any lift on the truck? Or do I also have to install new springs and shackles? What are the advantages and disadvantages of going either way with just emu socks or with both shocks and springs and shackles. How will these affect the ride and handling of the truck. The truck will mostly be used as a beach cruiser on and around Nantucket and I doubt it will be crawling any rocks if you don’t include all the day hoppers in the street I will have to try and avoid. It will also be driven by my daughters and wife. Thanks for your combined wealth of knowledge.

Lift is achieved with springs...shocks alone will not produce lift.

Replacing old shocks with new OME and keeping old/collapsed springs might give a marginally better ride, but the shocks are designed to use with lift springs so they won't achieve full travel.

Replace the entire suspension with OME springs and shocks...or replace shocks only with stock equivalent.

Lift is achieved with springs...shocks alone will not produce lift.

Replacing old shocks with new OME and keeping old/collapsed springs might give a marginally better ride, but the shocks are designed to use with lift springs so they won't achieve full travel.

Replace the entire suspension with OME springs and shocks...or replace shocks only with stock equivalent.
Thanks, G-Cat, as for the OME selection is there a difference between light vs med vs heavy. Is there some metric I should follow as to weight and use?

Thanks, G-Cat, as for the OME selection is there a difference between light vs med vs heavy. Is there some metric I should follow as to weight and use?

I would run lights unless you really plan on loading it up.

All sound advice above^^^

kurt @cruiseroutfit can guide you through the selection process, just be thinking of your setup in terms of proposed use.

1. Hardtop/soft top/no top.
2. rims/tires size- stock vice larger.
3. wheeling vice off road excursions vice hunting- fishing vice Sunday trips to Starbucks.
4. max kit you’ll carry/roof rack/different tire carrier IE aftermarket. Three kids, a dog and the Mrs plus your camping gear.
4. shackles - traditional / other.
5. proper drive line angle will become important depending on your decisions about lift height + shims if needed.
6. type of shocks - OME makes great kit, but there are other considerations. EG Bilstein makes a great shock too.
7. power steering. Doing the parking lot scramble without PS and with big rubber spells a good workout
9.springs, LMH can/will give you lift

example - you could have a 3/4” over on your shackle length + and a 2” over normal spring height and run a larger rim/tire (just an example, there are other combos). But keep in mind, as you go up in lift there are consequences that will need to be mitigated.

so, yes you can obtain lift with the springs And your shock length will be determined based on the lift height of your springs/shackles/rims/tires.

these designs (TLC) are old technology. They will never perform/drive/act like Grandma’s Lexus, regardless of your choices of shackles/spring/shock selections. But, if you make those selections based on your intended use you’ll be a lot happier with your choices.

I say all this so you can be somewhat prepared to answer the questions Kurt is going to ask regarding your setup.

These are not all inclusive. But, it gives you something to consider.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions, although you may get ribbed, chided and poked at on occasion. There is a wealth of knowledge in the FAQs and the search “button“ is your friend. Good luck with your TLC and welcome to the fold...:cheers:

And yes, I skipped number 8. to see if you were paying attention.

OK distinguished forum did I miss anything?

For me OME with Bilsten shocks made a huge difference in my ride quality. Can’t go wrong following the above. & welcome

All sound advice above^^^

kurt @cruiseroutfit can guide you through the selection process, just be thinking of your setup in terms of proposed use.

1. Hardtop/soft top/no top.
2. rims/tires size- stock vice larger.
3. wheeling vice off road excursions vice hunting- fishing vice Sunday trips to Starbucks.
4. max kit you’ll carry/roof rack/different tire carrier IE aftermarket. Three kids, a dog and the Mrs plus your camping gear.
4. shackles - traditional / other.
5. proper drive line angle will become important depending on your decisions about lift height + shims if needed.
6. type of shocks - OME makes great kit, but there are other considerations. EG Bilstein makes a great shock too.
7. power steering. Doing the parking lot scramble without PS and with big rubber spells a good workout
9.springs, LMH can/will give you lift

example - you could have a 3/4” over on your shackle length + and a 2” over normal spring height and run a larger rim/tire (just an example, there are other combos). But keep in mind, as you go up in lift there are consequences that will need to be mitigated.

so, yes you can obtain lift with the springs And your shock length will be determined based on the lift height of your springs/shackles/rims/tires.

these designs (TLC) are old technology. They will never perform/drive/act like Grandma’s Lexus, regardless of your choices of shackles/spring/shock selections. But, if you make those selections based on your intended use you’ll be a lot happier with your choices.

I say all this so you can be somewhat prepared to answer the questions Kurt is going to ask regarding your setup.

These are not all inclusive. But, it gives you something to consider.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions, although you may get ribbed, chided and poked at on occasion. There is a wealth of knowledge in the FAQs and the search “button“ is your friend. Good luck with your TLC and welcome to the fold...:cheers:

And yes, I skipped number 8. to see if you were paying attention.

OK distinguished forum did I miss anything?
Thank you so very much. I have reached out to Kurt for his recommendation at to order the complete kit since the springs are 50 years old I think it would be good to go with all new suspension parts for the next 50 years. That is unless the state of California decided to confiscate gas engines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom