New shock is squeaky (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced all my shocks with Toyota OEM shocks and springs with Dobinsons springs last December, and now the rear right shock is squeaking like a mf. When i bounce the car up and down via the trailer hitch, i can hear and feel it coming from that shock as it compresses and decompresses. Why would this happen? Did i mess up and tighten a bushing wrong or something or is the shock prematurely failing?

I replaced all my shocks with Toyota OEM shocks and springs with Dobinsons springs last December, and now the rear right shock is squeaking like a mf. When i bounce the car up and down via the trailer hitch, i can hear and feel it coming from that shock as it compresses and decompresses. Why would this happen? Did i mess up and tighten a bushing wrong or something or is the shock prematurely failing?
You may have tightened it out of alignment.

Loosen both ends, settle the suspension, then tighten. It's most likely the bottom end.

You may have tightened it out of alignment.

Loosen both ends, settle the suspension, then tighten. It's most likely the bottom end.
Loosen it as in loosen the mounting bracket up top or loosen the shock from the mounting bracket? And then take it off the jack and then tighten?

You don't need it on Jack stands to loosen the shock and shouldn't have it on stands when tightening it. @BILT4ME suspects it is likely the lower shock bolt that would fix the problem if loosened and retorqued. It wouldn't be hard to do the upper shock bolts too while you are under the vehicle. I'd suggest doing all of them if you torqued them all with the vehicle not on its settle weight (ie. on jack stands) when you first installed them.

Loosen it as in loosen the mounting bracket up top or loosen the shock from the mounting bracket? And then take it off the jack and then tighten?
The upper end typically won't bind because it's in a vertical orientation of travel.

It's most likely the lower shock bolt because it will twist and rotate when it flexes.

Loosen the lower shock bolt, remove it from the pin, slide it back on and tighten it when the full weight of the truck is on its wheels.

The upper end typically won't bind because it's in a vertical orientation of travel.

It's most likely the lower shock bolt because it will twist and rotate when it flexes.

Loosen the lower shock bolt, remove it from the pin, slide it back on and tighten it when the full weight of the truck is on its wheels.
I'll give it a try!

I went to go loosen the lower shock bolt and it was already kind of loose. Great. Anyways i took the bolts out on both sides and replaced them with some fresh bolts that i happened to have while the suspension was settled on the ground. So now i have two tight lower shock bolts, but squeak is still there. I took a video if someone could listen in and give some insight. Kind of sounds like a groan too. In the video, i am pushing down on the tailgate to make the shocks compress and expand.

I went to go loosen the lower shock bolt and it was already kind of loose. Great. Anyways i took the bolts out on both sides and replaced them with some fresh bolts that i happened to have while the suspension was settled on the ground. So now i have two tight lower shock bolts, but squeak is still there. I took a video if someone could listen in and give some insight. Kind of sounds like a groan too. In the video, i am pushing down on the tailgate to make the shocks compress and expand.

That sounds like a spring rubbing on a mount or a sway bar with no bushings. That doesn't sound like a shock.

How about a wider angle video on the suspension doing the same thing?

Yep, sounds like metal/metal squeak rather than shock bushing. Having a second person under the truck can help pinpoint the source.
If you don't have a second set of hands available, I've had success finding source of squeaks by progressively spraying bushings or joints with silicone spray and repeatedly cycling the suspension. Do one bushing at a time until the squeak goes away. Last joint sprayed is your source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom