Shock madness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are the coils Dual rate like Nay’s 3.5 VT coils? They don’t say Dual rate in the description? Does it matter/make a difference?
  • Dobinsons C97-147VT 2.5″ lift with 440lbs weight (lifts more with less weight)
  • Dobinsons C97-146VT 2.5″ Lift Variable Tapered Long Travel Heavy Load
Exact same coil as Nay's 144VT & 145VT's with an inch less lift. These coils are longer free height than a typical dual rate coil of a similar advertised lift, the top few turns have a smaller diameter wire that easily compresses, hence the "variable taper" description. IIRC Nay provided a pic of his front coil were you can see the top few turns with the coil compressed (EDIT: see post 52). The result is longer down travel when the ground drops away. My coils are a little tippy when I'm unloaded but ride nice. They firm up as I add weight as there is less of the small taper coil in motion as it starts to sit down. Without the weight on the truck, these coils will generate more lift than advertised.

I think the newest design of Dobinson’s VT series coil springs are no longer tapered down at the top. The design seems to be like that of their Flexi coils except heavier duty. I guess there were many complaints of the tapered design being noisy. I’ve been running front 3.5” original tapered Dobinson’s since 2017 and don’t hear them making noise.

So…. What I ended up doing is just adding shock ext’s on the front. Almost 3” more straight droop than before. We’ll test out sat. And it still rides the same of course. And m pretty sure this puts me at L length if not a little longer. I forgot to measure. “Rushing”

View attachment 3482999

View attachment 3483000

View attachment 3483001

View attachment 3483002
This works great!! Btw. Thinking of adding a pair to the rear now. According to the dirt line on the shaft with stock bumps I still have 1” of shaft left. So they aren’t bottoming out either.

Rear extensions cam in hope to install this week and check for coil looseness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom