New Radiator from ToyotaPartsDeal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I just received a new OE radiator from ToyotaPartsDeal for my 2005 Land Cruiser, and I was wondering if the number and severity of the bent fins was something to cause concern or within normal expectations? Worth complaining about?

Thanks,
-Will
E55CFC7E-E626-4D3F-A510-B170A2CC3349.jpeg
4D877035-90F0-47E8-837F-DBDDB9095FA0.jpeg
E7CA001B-3256-4B9C-BBD8-03BE17B39E0E.jpeg
91D31B8B-E9BE-4809-BBB7-E317F0937EE7.jpeg

That first picture looks baaaaad. I'd get a replacement.

It's probably "fine" in that it will still work and not leak, but if it was sold new, I would request them to properly ship you an un-damaged unit. Im not an expert though. I had a similar situation with a GX radiator, but it wasn't quite as bad so I just lived with it.

It's probably "fine" in that it will still work and not leak, but if it was sold new, I would request them to properly ship you an un-damaged unit. Im not an expert though. I had a similar situation with a GX radiator, but it wasn't quite as bad so I just lived with it.
My concern is that if it’s, by chance, not fine, that exchanging it after it’s been installed and uninstalled would/could be a lot more hassle.

I'm guessing it is trucked in to dealerships.... in bulk..... one delivery each day. I've never had anything remotely damaged when picking up from the dealership.

You could ask them for a discount on it. They sell radiator 'combs' for cheap. I would, at the least, straighten the fins before using it.

I bought a new OEM radiator directly from my local dealer last year. While none of the fins was damaged, one of the mounting brackets was slightly bent and the box was pretty beat up. We determined the damage to the mount was nothing significant and I installed it and went on my way. But, when I asked the parts guys about it, they said mine was actually one of the best looking radiators they'd received recently. Apparently they end up sending a significant number of them back due to shipping damage.

I can't for the life of me understand why the boxes are so thin and lack any kind of padding or reinforcement. Unless they're handled like eggs, even truck shipping to the dealer parts department takes its toll.

I bought a new OEM radiator directly from my local dealer last year. While none of the fins was damaged, one of the mounting brackets was slightly bent and the box was pretty beat up. We determined the damage to the mount was nothing significant and I installed it and went on my way. But, when I asked the parts guys about it, they said mine was actually one of the best looking radiators they'd received recently. Apparently they end up sending a significant number of them back due to shipping damage.

I can't for the life of me understand why the boxes are so thin and lack any kind of padding or reinforcement. Unless they're handled like eggs, even truck shipping to the dealer parts department takes its toll.
I've purchased 4 radiators (denso): 2 for LC and 2 for 4R from Rockauto. None arrived damaged and Denso box is pretty tough! Wonder why well built OEm units are shipped in thin boxes! What a waste!

I've purchased 4 radiators (denso): 2 for LC and 2 for 4R from Rockauto. None arrived damaged and Denso box is pretty tough! Wonder why well built OEm units are shipped in thin boxes! What a waste!
Yeah, not sure why they can’t get that figured out.

Yeah they shipped like that because they don't care. I was just get a replacement. However if you really need it I would just comb the bends out. Also I don't think it will really cause that much of an issue. Maybe 1 or 2 degrees in difference scientific speaking ;)

If it makes you feel any better this just showed up on my door step this afternoon. They decided to throw the lower radiator hose loosely in the box with the radiator, so during transit it rubbed up against the fins and bent several of them. The picture doesn't really do it justice but you can still tell which ones are bent. I got a $50 refund out of it (25% of the purchase price) so I guess that helps a little, but still very frustrating considering it could look just like the front if it was packaged correctly.

Radiator front.jpg

Radiator back.jpg

Insalled a CSF recently. I thought they really did the packaging right. Soft cell foam inserts on all sides and fins completely covered by blue foam board. The foam board can also be used during installation so that the fins don't get dinged. I don't really have a pic of it in the box but here it is sitting next to the box with the blue foam in the background and one with the blue board being used during install.
IMG_7746.jpg
IMG_7751.jpg

Insalled a CSF recently. I thought they really did the packaging right. Soft cell foam inserts on all sides and fins completely covered by blue foam board. The foam board can also be used during installation so that the fins don't get dinged. I don't really have a pic of it in the box but here it is sitting next to the box with the blue foam in the background and one with the blue board being used during install.View attachment 3275784View attachment 3275782

Nice! Who did you order through?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom