New Power Steering - mushy, unresponsive, squeals like a pig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed a mini truck pump on my 77. jtoutfitters brackets and their saginaw pump. steering box came from buyautoparts and looks great.

I bled the system before start up by jacking fronts, turning lock to lock and filling up. Then I ran the truck and checked again and took it for a drive, wheel does not go back to center after turning on its own, feels mushy and not much better than stock. when parked and I turn the wheels, engine on, it squeals as soon as I get a 1/4 turn. 31" tires.

in-line filter is going the right direction. No leaks in system, oil is not frothy. Pump lined up on driveline correctly.

Did I get a bad pump? Is my belt not tight enough or too tight? Should I used a non-ribbed drive belt?

Thanks.

20210902_140600.jpg

20210902_140613.jpg

20210902_140556.jpg

20210902_140602.jpg

20210902_140608.jpg

I never heard of installing a filter. A Squealing belt is usually an indication of a loose belt. They usually have to be pretty tight. Mini truck/ stk fj40 p/s is more like power assist. Beyond that, maybe other folks can chime in.

I never heard of installing a filter. A Squealing belt is usually an indication of a loose belt. They usually have to be pretty tight. Mini truck/ stk fj40 p/s is more like power assist. Beyond that, maybe other folks can chime in.
Ah, I can try a different belt, maybe I'm expecting too much from the power steering then?

Your belt looks right on the pump, but is thin compared to the water pump and crank pulleys grooves. I'm not well versed with the Toyota setup. I run SBC's, Chev usually runs a heavy/thick belt just for power steering(crank to pump only). I'm not sure how yours should be run. Someone more knowledgeable on this subject will hopefully help out.

Last edited:
Start with removing that filter.

Problem solved:

Just put on a little larger belt, tightened it up more and now no more squeal and it turns better. I guess the squeal was the belt slipping obviously, but wasn't providing enough energy to the pump so it could do it's job. Thanks all.

I wonder with if running one thinner belt low in the groove of the water pump and 1 heavier belt near the top of the groove is acting like 2 different diameter grooves at the water pump pulley. That would certainly contribute to a squeal. It takes a lot on energy to turn a p/s pump.

I hope that's not the case, jtoutfitters addressed that very concern and said running a narrower belt in a wider pulley is okay, but running a wider belt in a narrower pulley is not okay. I'll run it a while and if it doesn't work I'll try to track down a wide belt pulley for the saginaw.

I am just finishing up the same install on a 78 FJ40. What size is the PS Belt? Do you have P/N or source? Mine pulley OD measurement was 50.25" (+1.25" for tensioning)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom