FJ40 power steering with an FJ60 gearbox...IRON PIG OFFROAD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have another supplier that sells the entire conversion kit to swap in an FJ60 power steering unit to an FJ40? Ive tried to get the kit from IRON PIG but they are no longer selling things. Ive got the gear box, and just need all the other parts. Id like to go the FJ60 route due to the placement and elimination of steering bar. Anyone have the pros/cons of going this route verses the Mini-Truck conversion?

Have you considered installing an electric power steer in stead of the hydraulic original one?
I took that option as hydraulic is simply too expensive and found it to be more convenient, more performant and more cost effective.

Regards,
Stefan

Does anyone have another supplier that sells the entire conversion kit to swap in an FJ60 power steering unit to an FJ40? Ive tried to get the kit from IRON PIG but they are no longer selling things. Ive got the gear box, and just need all the other parts. Id like to go the FJ60 route due to the placement and elimination of steering bar. Anyone have the pros/cons of going this route verses the Mini-Truck conversion?
I’m in the same boat. Called IP yesterday, no luck. I’ll keep you posted if I come across anything

From what I understand the mini truck box can fit up by where the original box sat, avoiding needing to make an extra long shaft. However you end up with all the same slop as the original system and the truck box isn’t all the powerful. I was told it ends up being more like a power assist than steer. The 60 and 80 boxes, however, are more challenging to install (requires welding a longer, jointed shaft) but you end up with less slop and full blown power steering. I asked a similar question a couple days ago. I think you can see that thread on my profile. Got some very helpful replies that might answer your question better. Cheers

Just wondering exactly what you mean by “no longer selling things”? They have the kit on their website minus the steering box -- they don’t sell it at all anymore?

Thanks,

Chris

Just wondering exactly what you mean by “no longer selling things”? They have the kit on their website minus the steering box -- they don’t sell it at all anymore?

Thanks,

Chris
When I spoke with them on the phone they said they no longer do mail order. That was yesterday. My guess is they’re only available to people who get work done with them.

There's quite a bit of fabrication involved with any power steering conversion, except for stk or eletric. Most "kits" I seen are for mounting a sag box in frt of the bib, between the bumper and frt crossmember. Even in those kits there's a lot of cutting, fabbing and welding. The fj60/80 p/s you'll likely have to source a lot of parts individually. Imo, its a better setup than other p/s conversions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom