New Member & FJ Newbie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello there! My name is Alyssa and I am very new to the FJ world. I have loved the look of the FJ40 for years but have not been able to purchase one until now. I did have a 1980 CJ7 for a few years and miss that "Jeep feel" - wanting to get into off-roading. I am not mechanically savvy and have little clue as to what to look for with these vehicles. I found one, drove it and it felt good, shifted nicely, and sounded good- but again, I am not sure what to look for. It WAS a little hard to steer backing up and turning around, but once on the road the wheel was actually pretty loose. My concern with the vehicle is that it has rhino lining on the floor and over the rear panels. The pictures below are prior to this owner spraying it on himself, and the pics are not that clear to detect rust or damage. He has only had the FJ since December and is selling it to pay for his children's college.

He was open to us taking it to a mechanic that was recommended here on the forums (Buddy), but called back and said he was uncomfortable with us doing that since he only has liability insurance. That's understandable. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? I would greatly appreciate it. The following is the info on the FJ. Good deal? Bad deal? Or too hard to tell from pics? Thanks SO much for any direction y'all can give!! :)

1981 Toyota fj40 landcruiser - $13500
Very nice 81 fj40. Orig 2f motor, runs like a champ. Its in very good condition, has soft top with doors and bikini top. Just did a full tune up and replaced clutch master cylinder. 4 Speed tran, with front disc breaks. Just added rear fender flares, dash cover, hood bumpers, antenna, rear tub matt, not shown in pic. Clean title . 168,000 odometer.

81 FJ40 1.jpg
81 FJ40 2.jpg
81 FJ40 3.jpg

Welcome to Mud! Thats a pretty rig. There might be a mud member in your area that could take a gander at it for you. If you are not very mechanically inclined, I would certainly have some one knowledgeable give it a once over, there have been some nightmare posts of people being sold 40s with serious problems. Please don't call it an "FJ", that refers to those new fangled things with the three windshield wipers. 40, or Cruiser is the usual nomenclature.

That is a nice looking 40 (please don't call it an FJ).Perhaps the owner could drive it to your mechanic? perhaps check your local clubs and get a knowledgeable 'Cruisehead or two to come and give it a look...

Hey, thanks you guys! I had no idea about the "F" word. Thanks for clueing me in! ;) Ah, the perils of being a newbie/noobie! Seriously, I appreciate your response. I will definitely look into some local clubs and see if I can't get someone out there to check it out. Definitely don't want to make a $13,000 mistake.

It WAS a little hard to steer backing up and turning around,

Does this 40 have a rear locking differential? might account for this...
Also, this is your first post? lets get this out of the way...:flipoff2: Welcome (it's traditional, and we're big on tradition here).
I hear that there are one or two 'Cruiserheads in Tejas and they might help you out for a 6pack of Shiner...

Er... thank you? I appreciate the warm welcome, Pighead. :)

I have no idea about the rear differential. I will definitely investigate that. As soon as I learn to use the forum, I will hunt down some Texas Cruiserheads and see if anyone is game. Thanks!

Texas is a BIG state - we lived in SA-area for 7 years and Austin-area for 26 years - look under the 'clubhouse' tab at the top and find a club near you.

Welcome and great looking 40!

Welcome to Mud Forum you will find alot of help here. I purchased a 77 40 in Sept. 2013 I've got everything mechanically restored and now Biscuit is in paint shop. Thats a great looking Cruiser,Congratulations. I'm in central Texas and found a fellow Mud member within 50 miles that has a shop and he's really good and I think reasonable. I named my 40, Biscuit because I kinda like biscuits and gravy but my 40 Biscuit sops something besides gravy $$$ but you can't wipe the smile off my face crusing down the road. Enjoy

the spare looks to be the original rim... the others are aftermarket

there is a lot that's been altered from oem state of the cruiser... are you looking for original? or a fun project that's not necessarily a museum piece?

13K is high if it were me... but... its hard to find anything at a reasonable price these days... you would need to look long and hard... sometimes it will fall in your lap :)

it is a good looking truck... but... warning signs

1) body work in rear
2) rinoliner inside tub

could be rusties hiding under bondo... or... he could have taken it all out ... NEED to look at the usual spots

good thread by trollhole:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/purchasing-an-fj-40-fj-40-b-u-y-e-r-s-g-u-i-d-e-f-a-q.118417/

the spare looks to be the original rim... the others are aftermarket

there is a lot that's been altered from oem state of the cruiser... are you looking for original? or a fun project that's not necessarily a museum piece?

13K is high if it were me... but... its hard to find anything at a reasonable price these days... you would need to look long and hard... sometimes it will fall in your lap :)

it is a good looking truck... but... warning signs

1) body work in rear
2) rinoliner inside tub

could be rusties hiding under bondo... or... he could have taken it all out ... NEED to look at the usual spots

good thread by trollhole:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/purchasing-an-fj-40-fj-40-b-u-y-e-r-s-g-u-i-d-e-f-a-q.118417/

Thanks, Johnny! I see what you are talking about now with the spare. Most importantly, I want something that's mechanically sound and dependable. I trust that whatever I get will probably need some work. Body wise, I would like to slowly fix it up. Staying close to original would be ideal, but for me being so new to the Cruiser world, I wouldn't be able to tell what was original or not. Honestly, I just want a fun toy to do some off-roading in that isn't going to break down on me. :) I just love the look of the Cruiser and appreciate the fact there are not so many out there.

Thanks for the warning signs and kind welcome! I'm still looking for someone in the Lone Star Land Cruiser Forum to go check it out for me, but no bites yet. Here's hoping!

Maybe its just me, but not cooperating with you re your mechanic set a flag off for me ... if you're selling a truck, shouldn't there be appropriate insurance on it, just in case the buyer wants to try it or have it checked out ... duh ... 40s are great vehicles and a ton of fun (like Jeeps - I owned a CJ for 10+ years), but they like plenty of love, after all, most are 30 plus years old ... it looks good, but have it checked out thoroughly by a local Cruiser-head ... its money well spent ... body looks good but the pics aren't the best ... the local Cruiser-head will know the spots that go i.e. the rear sill under the ambulance doors, the rocker panels under the side doors, the quarters panels at the wheel well seam, for example ... frame should be good (its in Texas, I assume) but whomever you get to help you will know that ... welcome to Mud and good luck ...

It WAS a little hard to steer backing up and turning around, but once on the road the wheel was actually pretty loose.

If you're not used to not having power steering, this is normal. Parallel parking its a work out to say the least--narrower tires helps this to some degree. Also, a recirculating ball steering system will feel loose even if it is in good shape compared to modern rack and pinion systems.

I used to think sticking to stock was for me, but I'm thinking after market seats would be great!

Also, don't buy one without having an inspection. $13.5k is actually not bad if it's in good shape. Good luck! And welcome!

During the mechanical restoration of My 40 my mechanic recomended adding power steering and after some discussion he added it off a 1987 60. Probably best thing I've done so far, I'd safely say it drives twice as good as when I got it. I met some resistance from my Wife when we drove from central Texas to Tucson to purchase Biscuit. I let her drive it a little after we got home and she still wasn't impressed. After getting the power steering she absolutely loved driving it. She pulled up to a red light and had a little trouble with the brake / clutch petal and commented "I'm gonna have to get used to how close together the petals are, my comment back to her " You're not gonna have to get used to anything Biscuit is My cruiser. " After she found a place to pull over and I drove home. As my good buddy in Midland Texas would say " Well There You Go "

Maybe its just me, but not cooperating with you re your mechanic set a flag off for me ... if you're selling a truck, shouldn't there be appropriate insurance on it, just in case the buyer wants to try it or have it checked out ... but whomever you get to help you will know that ... welcome to Mud and good luck ...
I hear ya! It is kind of strange he doesn't have full coverage. He actually IS open to having a mechanic check it out, which is exactly what we are doing. The mechanic is going to his house. Thanks for the welcome! Hope to be in the open air soon! :)

If you're not used to not having power steering, this is normal. Parallel parking its a work out to say the least--narrower tires helps this to some degree. Also, a recirculating ball steering system will feel loose even if it is in good shape compared to modern rack and pinion systems.

I used to think sticking to stock was for me, but I'm thinking after market seats would be great!

Also, don't buy one without having an inspection. $13.5k is actually not bad if it's in good shape. Good luck! And welcome!

Thanks, Taro! I appreciate that. I might just add power steering to it. We shall see how tired I get if I end up with it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom