New Leather in Steering Wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I am not sure if someone has tried before, but I am planning on adding new leather to my steering wheel, I have seen some videos in you tube instructing how to sew, so I am going to give it a try.

I already remove the old leather that was all full of holes and the good thing is that the steering wheel has a very good sponge all around it waiting for the new leather, it is like a sponge molded in place.

I have been trying to get the template out of the old leather and I will post pictures while I keep on progressing
WhatsApp Image 2017-03-05 at 8.33.08 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-03-05 at 8.25.01 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-03-05 at 8.26.34 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-03-05 at 8.33.02 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-03-05 at 8.32.54 PM.jpeg

Looks great so far, now comes the hard part! ;)

Find some helpful tips here from my install: Land Cruiser Heaven Leather Steering Wheel Cover Install

It will be much easier if you remove the wheel.
Thank you for the advice, do you have a copy of the template? Looks like mine is a little off, and I am planning on changing the color of the leather as well, something closer to the oem color. The one that is showing in the pictures is too clear, it was some left over from a leather store here in Tijuana and only cost me $3.50 dollars, well, I have spent $10.00 dollars including needle and thread.

I am going to go back to see if I find another darker piece and if you have template I will cut it to te exact same dimensions, my template was taken from the leather removed from my steering wheel, but with the time and the curve of the wheel it was harder to get the exact template.

In case somebody is interested, there is a shop here in Tijuana that is charging $100 dollars for the new leather and already installed, they manufacture leather products like jackets, bags, etc.

It is on revolution street and 3rd street. "TALABARTERIA ATOYAC"
Google Maps

Talabarteria Atoyac.jpg

I have been wanting to do this, I never thought of using the old one for a template, I am going black though

Thank you for the advice, do you have a copy of the template? Looks like mine is a little off, and I am planning on changing the color of the leather as well, something closer to the oem color. The one that is showing in the pictures is too clear, it was some left over from a leather store here in Tijuana and only cost me $3.50 dollars, well, I have spent $10.00 dollars including needle and thread.

I am going to go back to see if I find another darker piece and if you have template I will cut it to te exact same dimensions, my template was taken from the leather removed from my steering wheel, but with the time and the curve of the wheel it was harder to get the exact template.

In case somebody is interested, there is a shop here in Tijuana that is charging $100 dollars for the new leather and already installed, they manufacture leather products like jackets, bags, etc.

Google Maps

View attachment 1415943

I wish I did not live so far, I would go there, and get it done.

h
[QUOTE="enriquelaija, post: 10877638, member: 76410"

Google Maps

View attachment 1415943[/QUOTE]

How far is this place from the san diego border?

How far is this place from the san diego border?

Looks to be only a few miles... Its right there. Just move Google maps to Tijuana area just south of SD and type in TALABARTERIA ATOYAC.

@enriquelaija Thanks for the info. How much do they charge for re-doing the front seats?

I have been wanting to do this, I never thought of using the old one for a template, I am going black though

Once you go black. You never go back! Lol

Hi, I am not sure if someone has tried before, but I am planning on adding new leather to my steering wheel, I have seen some videos in you tube instructing how to sew, so I am going to give it a try.

I already remove the old leather that was all full of holes and the good thing is that the steering wheel has a very good sponge all around it waiting for the new leather, it is like a sponge molded in place.

I have been trying to get the template out of the old leather and I will post pictures while I keep on progressing View attachment 1415378 View attachment 1415379 View attachment 1415380 View attachment 1415381 View attachment 1415382
Check this link:

Google Maps

View attachment 1415943
Do they do seats or just provide the material? I would drive my rig to get it done. Thanks in advance.

Regarding your question of if I have a template from my install of the Land Cruiser Heaven install - no I do not. Using the OEM cover as a template will be difficult because the curves are set in and hard to place on a flat surface. It is best to cut the spoke areas slightly large and then trim to fit. Again, this will be much easier if you take the wheel off. As I am in San Diego, I wish I knew about the Tijuana shop before I did my cover.

Man, you guys get my "over the top" award for trying to duplicate the factory cover. Me, I'd get the quality Katzkins one and ask for extra matching leather to wrap the root of the spokes, then put it on.

Looks to be only a few miles... Its right there. Just move Google maps to Tijuana area just south of SD and type in TALABARTERIA ATOYAC.

@enriquelaija Thanks for the info. How much do they charge for re-doing the front seats?

I have not asked, I do have a quotation for $4,000 pesos ($220 Dlls) to install my new carpet with the insulation underneath and the seating part of the second row (Not with Leather, but with a similar material).

I did not think on asking for leather for my seating part of the second row, but I am intrigued now, let me ask them about it with leather and also the 2 seats in the front and I will post the results.

This is in a different shop, this quotation is from a shop where they actually do new upholstery for cars.

Google Maps

I just went to get a quote for @montypr , he is looking to do:

- New carpet with insulation
- New ceiling
- New leather on second row and front seats

The total of the quotation was of $1,333. ($583 Labor and $750 Leather)

The person in charge of the shop mentioned that the owner of the vehicle needs to choose the leather from the person that supplies the leather to him, he wants to make sure that if the color is not exactly the same, at least the owner of the vehicle is the one that chooses the color.

Saludos
Enrique

I just went to get a quote for @montypr , he is looking to do:

- New carpet with insulation
- New ceiling
- New leather on second row and front seats

The total of the quotation was of $1,333. ($583 Labor and $750 Leather)

The person in charge of the shop mentioned that the owner of the vehicle needs to choose the leather from the person that supplies the leather to him, he wants to make sure that if the color is not exactly the same, at least the owner of the vehicle is the one that chooses the color.

Saludos
Enrique

That's a great price. Does the owner of this shop live in San Diego? Or is this the leather shop up the street?

@shocktower - I have a real nice black wheel from a LS400.

(exact same as FZJ80, I didn't get the black airbag though)

I was generally planning to run it in my 80 either for good or at least while I had mine recovered.
I really want a fresh grey one though- PM me if you want to make some sort horse-trade, it's a nice wheel worth snagging.

Highjack apology :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom